A teardrop for $2400

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

A teardrop for $2400

Postby djdawg » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:29 pm

So I'm getting close to starting my build and I am gorging on all the information that I can find. Not only on this forum but everywhere else online. I ran across a site that a woman runs that talks about minivan camping. She had a special post about teardrops and she talked about a couple in Georgia that will build this teardrop for $2, 400. Trailer included. The original post is now 6 years old so who knows what the cost is now but even then it's hard to imagine they made much money.

My point of bringing this up and sharing the pictures is I really do love the design. I like the convertible top and the simplicity of using snaps to keep it attached. I don't know if it's possible to share a link so I will hold off on that but it said that the material is from a marine store so I'm assuming it would hold up in the weather.

I wrote to the person who builds and sells these to see if they would sell me the plans. I'm across the country in Washington State so buying one from them is really not in the cards. What are your initial thoughts about the design? Obviously with a convertible type top heat would be an issue but if someone installed a heater maybe things could stay relatively warm still on chilly nights?

Any thoughts?
Attachments
tumblr_inline_mf8jxsDRvB1rpjlkw.jpg
tumblr_inline_mf8jxsDRvB1rpjlkw.jpg (32.94 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
tumblr_inline_mf8jupW1Hp1rpjlkw.jpg
tumblr_inline_mf8jupW1Hp1rpjlkw.jpg (32.45 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
tumblr_inline_mf8jt0Q4vZ1rpjlkw.jpg
tumblr_inline_mf8jt0Q4vZ1rpjlkw.jpg (28.51 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
Kevin
Bellingham, WA
djdawg
Teardrop Master

Re: A teardrop for $2400

Postby Pmullen503 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:48 pm

I don't like the use of plastic for the entire top. You can see the wood roof spars through the cover! A stargazing window I can see but I'd be more worried about heat build up during the day.

I can believe they could make these for $2400. 4x8 HF trailer. No covering other than clear poly. Cheap hardware and windows. The trouble is it lacks details that make the trailer more usable and long lasting.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby djdawg » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:05 am

Good points...the price is from 6 years ago now so I'm sure it's increased if they even still make them. And according to the notes the top is made out of a Marine Boat Type material so it's something more than a cheap poly top. Here are some of the notes regarding features:

“Details:
4x8 ‘vintage style Woody’ built on a New Harbor Freight Trailer.
Constructed with cabinet grade plywood and all new materials.
Back galley with storage and meal preparation area.
Full window custom doors that lock and have been rain tested.
Full Marine Grade convertible top opens to reveal fully screened opening.
Rubberized Undercoating on the underside of floor.
Linoleum floor inside camper and galley area.
Electrical outlets inside and galley area, plug into campground electric.
Constructed with heavy duty fasteners, hardware, and glues.
3 coats of heavy duty marine spar urethane inside and out.
12” tires with new spare.
New futon mattress and curtains included.“
Kevin
Bellingham, WA
djdawg
Teardrop Master

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:00 am

By plastic, I meant the plexiglass top which as you can see can't maintain it's shape without the wooden cross bars. The marine canvas cover would be nice for storage and travel, and it does eliminate any hatch leaks.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby djdawg » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:25 am

Pmullen503 wrote:By plastic, I meant the plexiglass top which as you can see can't maintain it's shape without the wooden cross bars. The marine canvas cover would be nice for storage and travel, and it does eliminate any hatch leaks.

I might be mistaken but there is no plexiglass stop. There is a screened area underneath the cover. So if you remove the top cover you could do some stargazing but not get eaten up by mosquitoes LOL.
Kevin
Bellingham, WA
djdawg
Teardrop Master

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:47 am

djdawg wrote:
Pmullen503 wrote:By plastic, I meant the plexiglass top which as you can see can't maintain it's shape without the wooden cross bars. The marine canvas cover would be nice for storage and travel, and it does eliminate any hatch leaks.

I might be mistaken but there is no plexiglass stop. There is a screened area underneath the cover. So if you remove the top cover you could do some stargazing but not get eaten up by mosquitoes LOL.

Interesting concept! Like a tent, and I imagine it would work as well while camping.

When I started shopping for Jeeps ten years ago, I was told the canvas tops last about 5 years (which is why I chose a hard top). So, I'd expect the top on this teardrop might have a similar life span. Probably better if tarped or kept in a garage when not in use. After all, most camping tents are stored most of their lives.

Wonder how it holds up to being driven? Perhaps the airflow over it will keep it from encountering too many hard objects.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby djdawg » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:12 am

They do recommend keeping it covered when not in use or in a garage. I've read some updates and they haven't had any water leakage inside which is what I was kind of worried about. Somehow water working its way down between the snaps and getting in. I guess there is some water proofing strips or something underneath it which I can't see. That's why I'm really hoping they would sell me the plans. some of you guys are super experience with building these and I need all the help I can get hahaha

Tom&Shelly wrote:
djdawg wrote:

Interesting concept! Like a tent, and I imagine it would work as well while camping.

When I started shopping for Jeeps ten years ago, I was told the canvas tops last about 5 years (which is why I chose a hard top). So, I'd expect the top on this teardrop might have a similar life span. Probably better if tarped or kept in a garage when not in use. After all, most camping tents are stored most of their lives.

Wonder how it holds up to being driven? Perhaps the airflow over it will keep it from encountering too many hard objects.

Tom
Kevin
Bellingham, WA
djdawg
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:38 am

Two people in a teardrop need lots of ventilation. I owned a little 4 x 10 that didn't have a rooftop fan. Opening the windows and turning on the little computer fan didn't cut it.

Perhaps I can't see it, but do the hatch struts lock in place? They need to so the wind doesn't rip it off.

And unless you and your spouse are a couple of skinny marathoners, go for a 5-wide.

:thinking:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby djdawg » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:53 am

Ha ha... So true! What two people can fit in a 4 ft wide space? Not us lol. I definitely would do it 5 ft wide. I was only able to upload three pictures on the original post but one of the pictures I found does show a fan at the top between two struts so that is a good thing.

Not sure about the hatch struts. Are you talking about the galley. I think I would probably get a couple of those pneumatic styles that people use instead.

tony.latham wrote:Two people in a teardrop need lots of ventilation. I owned a little 4 x 10 that didn't have a rooftop fan. Opening the windows and turning on the little computer fan didn't cut it.

Perhaps I can't see it, but do the hatch struts lock in place? They need to so the wind doesn't rip it off.

And unless you and your spouse are a couple of skinny marathoners, go for a 5-wide.

:thinking:

T
Kevin
Bellingham, WA
djdawg
Teardrop Master

Postby djdawg » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:10 am

Here are some additional pictures some of other models. I'm completely flummoxed on how they attached the screen to the trailer and finished it off. But then again I'm not a carpenter guy although I did build a hot dog cart haha...
Attachments
10a5a7_87c5edee78ad367cf97b2a4b7be2e7d5.jpg
10a5a7_87c5edee78ad367cf97b2a4b7be2e7d5.jpg (94.73 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
10a5a7_e8f6a9383561d4365b43136f61380631.jpg
10a5a7_e8f6a9383561d4365b43136f61380631.jpg (83.25 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
10a5a7_0cf136ec098c709cf68dd9eb3945b1d6.jpg
On this model they are only doing the Marine vinyl roof about halfway down. I like the look of the hatch here too.
10a5a7_0cf136ec098c709cf68dd9eb3945b1d6.jpg (86.19 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
Kevin
Bellingham, WA
djdawg
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:48 am

Tony sez’ … “ Two people in a teardrop need lots of ventilation.” So you have a suggestion for a sidewall fan or back wall , can’t be too big .. or too small as you say ... :NC

Dawg , i dunno ??? looks like a lot of things that could go wrong , I think you could do better with a Foamie , the FoamStream originally costs less than $1K … ( less gear) … and you Could leave it outside too , no worries … ;)

Bellingham … ??? Didn’t they have a big Ralph Williams car dealership years ago ( decades ago ) ??? :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby greygoos » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:07 pm

djdawg wrote:Here are some additional pictures some of other models. I'm completely flummoxed on how they attached the screen to the trailer and finished it off. But then again I'm not a carpenter guy although I did build a hot dog cart haha...

There are a few builds on here that are convertible types with screens. There is a member on here that built one who I think his name is snowbird? Perhaps he might pipe in. He also did another one called X Cubed? As far as keeping the screen in you can get flexible spline holders from big box stores and roll it in.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:13 pm

Screen would explain why the cross bars were visible under the cover. Plenty of ventilation on a clear night but you have to get up and out to put the cover on when it rains! I'd rather have something a little more weatherproof! Rode out some serious storms snug and dry in my foamie!
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby working on it » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:37 pm

greygoos wrote:
djdawg wrote:Here are some additional pictures some of other models. I'm completely flummoxed on how they attached the screen to the trailer and finished it off. But then again I'm not a carpenter guy although I did build a hot dog cart haha...

There are a few builds on here that are convertible types with screens. There is a member on here that built one who I think his name is snowbird? Perhaps he might pipe in. He also did another one called X Cubed? As far as keeping the screen in you can get flexible spline holders from big box stores and roll it in.
absolutsnwbrdr
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:42 pm

Two sheets of 1/8" Baltic birch and the screen issues are gone. $35? Yes, you'd have to cover it at least with a good exterior paint.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion