Planning a 3 to 4 week trip

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Planning a 3 to 4 week trip

Postby swoody126 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:15 am

arrive in Cody, Wy in the afternoon

there is live music there in the evenings

plan on spending at least 1 full day and maybe more and not leaving until the following day(3rd day there)

the CENTER OF THE WEST MUSEUM will TAKE A WHILE to simply walk thru and if you slow down to read ... LONGER

https://centerofthewest.org

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Ottsville » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:46 am

A little bit north of Boise(up along the south fork of the Payette), there's some cool natural hot springs you can hike up a mountain to. Also in southern Idaho is the Malad River Gorge. Think it might be a state park. Not a lot to see, but worth a stop as it is a deep canyon in the middle of what I remember to be rolling countryside.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby Ottsville » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:47 am

swoody126 wrote:arrive in Cody, Wy in the afternoon

there is live music there in the evenings

plan on spending at least 1 full day and maybe more and not leaving until the following day(3rd day there)

the CENTER OF THE WEST MUSEUM will TAKE A WHILE to simply walk thru and if you slow down to read ... LONGER

https://centerofthewest.org

sw

I was trying to think of that and where it was. We missed it on our last ride through there, but I hear it is a great place!
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:18 pm

Homebrewer25 wrote:Wow ... you guys have come thru with some great info. Roadtrippers.com is a really great site.

We lived in the Denver area for 7 years when we were in our 20s and spent a lot of time in the mountains in most of the state except the Southwest.

Other places in the west we have already been are the Grand Canyon (twice for Jeanne, 3 times for me), Lake Powell, Bryce Canyon, Zion NP, Big Sur, Monterey Peninsula, Muir Woods, and Yosemite.

We'll probably spend most of our time in Yellowstone, Glacier, and SE Utah/SW Colorado.
Canyonlands, Mesa Verde, Telluride, Ouray, Silverton, and Durango are definitely on the list.

While out west we need to visit an old friend in Oregon, which is why Washington and Oregon are in the loop. I figured while heading thru we would stop at Mt Ranier, and maybe Mt Hood.

What about Idaho? I know there are several members here from Idaho ... I hope they respond. We'll be going thru the Couer d'Alene area on the way to Oregon, then back thru the Twin Falls area on the way to southern Utah. Thinking maybe Craters of the Moon ... is it worth stopping?

Total trip length is going to be 6500-7000 miles, around 100 hours of driving time.

Thanks again, and keep the ideas coming

I’m not a big fan of southern Idaho. Born and raised there. The Craters is interesting.

You might take a look at the Beartooth Highway but it won’t be open in May. It’s spectacular.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:11 pm

If you're interested in going as far as Northeast Arizona, another place to consider is Monument Valley. The valley eroded away, leaving interesting natural towers. There is a loop through there that takes a few hours. The scenery is recognizable as the place where several westerns, and all of the roadrunner cartoons, were filmed. :)

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion