Flexible insulation? Minicell?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Flexible insulation? Minicell?

Postby Richrad » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:11 am

Anybody have experience with flexible insulation? I am insulating an already completed shell which has lots of complex curves. Rigid foam won't work for me. I would like something with a finished appearance as I will not be covering it. Has anyone out there tried Minicell (crosslink polyethylene) foam? It's a closed cell foam with a smooth finish. No idea of R value, but much thicker than 3/4" looks like a tough install.
Richrad
Teardrop Builder

Re: Flexible insulation? Minicell?

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:15 pm

Consider cork. Good insulstion. Good appearing. Flexible if you buy thin enough.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:43 pm

Rigid Styrofoam will work. You just may have to score it a bit on the curves.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby AzAv8r » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:05 pm

**** Warning: I didn't build one, so I'm not answering the original question... ****

I was unfamiliar with the term "minicell", but Google tells me it is PE foam using cross-linked PE with a small cell size. This site: https://www.foambymail.com/PR/polyethylene-foam-roll.html claims R-4 per inch. That's what I'd call the baseline - you can get better (R-5 per inch for XPS, R-6.7 per inch for urethane in some cases), but R-4 per inch is probably the best you should design for unless you have an aerospace budget (most materials are worse. Urethane *can* be better, but unless you spray it in it would not meet your needs).

So - sounds like a good plan. Excepting only that as a general rule PE is really hard to get anything to stick. This site: https://www.thefoamfactory.com/blog/index.php/pick-the-right-glue-for-the-job-how-to-select-adhesives-for-bonding-foam claims 3M Super 77 can be used. But I suspect you'll need to clamp it in place. I'd suggest you plan some prototyping and testing before you commit. Please let us know what you conclude.

Friz installed foam insulation in his Chesapeake Light Craft build, and I suspect it is minicell, so review his build thread.
AzAv8r
Teardrop Builder

Postby Richrad » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:35 am

Many thanks for the leads!
Richrad
Teardrop Builder

Postby Richrad » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:50 am

Solved! Got my foam through “worldwide foam”. This is a nationwide company based in Midwest. They have various outlets around the country. I got 3/4” inch sheets of 4x8’ crosslink polyethylene for $25 apiece. Flexible, good insulation with a nice smooth finish. Easy to cut, glues well with 3M super 77. Be sure and clean it with some simple green before gluing. If you need more hold use 3M super 90. The catch is you have to go fetch. Shipping this would triple the cost. I drove to Ontario CA and jammed 6 sheets in my Prius. Interior wall and insulation in one!
Richrad
Teardrop Builder

Return to General Discussion