Wall Construction

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Wall Construction

Postby greenchicken » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:34 am

I am in R&D stage for building a teardrop.

I have a question about wall constructions.

I see two styles:

- 3/4 plywood
- Framed layers with insulation.

I live in southern california and will never be using this is cold weather. I current camp in a little pop-up tent, so whatever I build will be infinitely better.

So for me the decision will be driving by which ever is easiest to build.

I am leaning towards just a 3/4 plywood wall.

Opinions?
greenchicken
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Wall Construction

Postby Ottsville » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:04 pm

Easiest will be plywood, but insulation is for heat as well as cold. Do whatever works for you. There's lots of different wall structures used here and each has its plusses and minuses.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby greenchicken » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:42 pm

Yes, heat is a consideration too.

I do plan to insulate the roof to reduce the baking-in-the-sun.
greenchicken
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GTS225 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:41 pm

California......SoCal?(Never mind, I just read a couple of your other posts.) I "Navy-ed" in San Diego, (North Island) for four years, and even there, it can make ice on the sidewalks in January, so a foam/sheeting wall may be a plus for you. It will also make it more desirable to a buyer when/if you attempt to sell.
Things to consider. Your tow vehicle. How capable is it, and will it limit you to a certain weight restriction? Lighter equals less fuel used.
How far off-road will you take it, if at all?
How big? I'm planning a 5'x10', and I can't find sheet goods that size, so will have to glue up my own.

Just a few things to think about.

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:57 pm

My first teardrop was frame and insulation and was a complete waste of time and effort.
The only difference I found was that it's quieter with the insulation but not enough to make me do other than plywood.
BTW, I lived in San Diego close to Mission Bay for 40 years and never experienced ice on sidewalks.
Heat gain and loss is 60-70-% through the roof so insulate there by all means.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby edgeau » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:26 pm

I am in Queensland Australia. Similar climate to Southern California I believe. I went with plywood walls and 30mm (bit over an inch) of insulation in the roof. This has worked well for me. We sleep with the doors and a roof vent open. (Hang an old fashioned white mozzie net inside so we don't get bitten!) Even in the heat of the day with no shade that little bit of insulation in the roof makes it reasonable and much more comfortable than a tent!ImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:43 pm

Are you going to travel with your camper? Check out some average temperatures where you might go. The high Sierra's lows in the middle of summer are in the 30's. Anza-Borrego the lows are in the 40's to low 50's six months of the year. For me thats not cold but some people would think so. Desert nights can get cold and then add some elevation and it's can get down right cold even in the summer.

If you want to avoid crowds you have to go in off times which can mean cooler temps for the most part. Places like Death Valley the hot weather is the low time. :lol:

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby booyah » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:29 pm

FWIW I looked at that decision too. I live much farther north, but mostly use it in the summer.
I insulated and never regretted it. On a 95 degree day, I can sit in the camper with the windows open and the fan running, and its like sitting in a nice shaded patch with a breeze.

In winter, sub freezing temps are decent with sleeping bags, down right comfy with a little 400w space heater
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Return to General Discussion