Mr Heater vs Propex HS2000 heater

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Mr Heater vs Propex HS2000 heater

Postby John61CT » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:19 am

KTM_Guy wrote:I have two emails to Propex but haven't heard back yet
Contact the Westy distributor rather than the maker.

Or just post Qs to that forum

> if you want to stay toasty warm at 10,000' or above you are going to have to shell out some cash for it.

Yes, but think of the money saved in rent. . .
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:35 am

KTM_Guy wrote:I've been looking into heaters more and found some good info.

If you want to heat with gasoline it is possible but it come at a price. The only one I found is a Espar at 13,000 BTU's (probably to big for a teardrop) at about $1,600USD. If you are going to use it above 5-6,000' add another $300 for a high altitude kit.

Diesel heaters will build up carbon above 6-7,000'. The Espar has the high altitude kit that will give you up to 4'000m a little over 12,000'. The Webasto can be adjusted with flashing the board but they say max doing that is 7'000'. Espar and Webasto are in the $1000 range.

I haven't been able to find out if the cheap clone diesel heaters have any adjustments for altitude. My guess would be no.

I have two emails to Propex but haven't heard back yet. I have read that 10,000' it worked fine. Very cold temps (0 degrees) and altitude were problems.

Here is a good thread on heaters and altitude. It is a Westy forum and they really put a big value in the one fuel. I don't know if it applies to us with trailers as much. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=608699&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=8f8184960e44fc15598f4cd78f5c1c28

There is a heater like the Propex coming to the US next year that looks nice Truma VarioHeat eco. But they look like they will be $1100 without installation kit.

Bottom line, if you want to stay toasty warm at 10,000' or above you are going to have to shell out some cash for it.

I joined a Facebook group called Chinese Diesel Heaters. It sounds like altitude isn’t a problem but nobody is talking 10,000’. It sounds like 7,000’ is fine running kerosene. I think the versions with the LCD controller have an altitude adjustment setting.

Me? I wish Propex would give me a free heater.

T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:30 pm

I got an email from the US distributor for Propex and a Propex HS2000 will work out of the box at 8-10,000' no problem. With tuned regulators he said they have been used up to 13,000'. I don't have any info on how to tune the regulator but it uses a water column gauge that you can build yourself.

We had a rainy day yesterday I couldn't get much done on the tear so I went and looked at the altitude of the campsites we stayed at over the last few years. And went and looked at some places on my bucket list. Past camping around 75% was above 8,000'. Of that 75% more that half was at 10,000' or above. Max was around 11,600'.

Checking some of the up coming trips for the tear, most are between 4'000 and 8,000'. One or two nights at around 12,000'. Also camping at 10,000' and above will be in July to early Sept. not Jan or Feb. But it still can get in the mid 20's overnight.

We are going to use the tear a few times before we build out the galley, most of those trips will be be this winter. We'll get a feel what/if we need a heater. But the Propex looks the way to go for us.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:52 am

KTM_Guy wrote:I got an email from the US distributor for Propex and a Propex HS2000 will work out of the box at 8-10,000' no problem. With tuned regulators he said they have been used up to 13,000'. I don't have any info on how to tune the regulator but it uses a water column gauge that you can build yourself.

We had a rainy day yesterday I couldn't get much done on the tear so I went and looked at the altitude of the campsites we stayed at over the last few years. And went and looked at some places on my bucket list. Past camping around 75% was above 8,000'. Of that 75% more that half was at 10,000' or above. Max was around 11,600'.

Checking some of the up coming trips for the tear, most are between 4'000 and 8,000'. One or two nights at around 12,000'. Also camping at 10,000' and above will be in July to early Sept. not Jan or Feb. But it still can get in the mid 20's overnight.

We are going to use the tear a few times before we build out the galley, most of those trips will be be this winter. We'll get a feel what/if we need a heater. But the Propex looks the way to go for us.

Todd

Where is that 12,000’ campsite?

Tony

tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:02 am

tony.latham wrote:
KTM_Guy wrote:I got an email from the US distributor for Propex and a Propex HS2000 will work out of the box at 8-10,000' no problem. With tuned regulators he said they have been used up to 13,000'. I don't have any info on how to tune the regulator but it uses a water column gauge that you can build yourself.

Todd

Where is that 12,000’ campsite?

Tony

There is a lake up near Black Baear Pass in Colorado that I have wanted to camp at. Not sure if the teardrop can get to it. BBP road east of the pass is not to bad, just long sections of shelf road that would be bad if you came head on with some one.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:16 am

slowcowboy wrote:Any links to treads on here showing the Chinese desil heater installed???..i run a cummins in a dodge for a tow vechile. Wander how they run on number 2 desil for a substute????...kersone no problem all our farm stores carry it here in Wyoming runs about 20 bucks for 2 gallons...slow.

Lots of discussion on a Facebook Group called, "Chinese diesel vehicle air heaters - troubleshooting & parts sales."

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion