Postby tony.latham » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:38 am

You betcha...

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: How many are fishermen on here???

Postby saltydawg » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:43 am

GPW wrote:Salty’ …. Fish the EDGES !!! ;)

Well when your in a boat with a keel fishing the edges is risky. Considering 24% of the bay is 6 feet or less of water, yup I will stay in deeper water.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:21 pm

...how many take the fish they catch back to camp and fry it...

Slow:

I was raised on the damn things.

Once in a while, I'll pinch my nose, close my eyes, and have one with the wife. Yech. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:23 pm

In NH my discount seniors license starts in 2022. Just not quite old enough, strange to say that.. The 'big' expense I find is as we travel and I have to buy some sort of non-res license. Most coastal states now license surf casting, arg... I would love to see a federal license for seniors, especially coastal waters.

Just another reason I so love the Atlantic Maritimes. No license required for coastal waters (includes tidal waters). Not certain of the legality of taking clam/oyster, but... was offered a few locations to do so and of course partook.

Slow, I am a catch-n-release guy when it comes to freshwater fish. Most of our Fly Only/CnR spots are our trophy sections. I'm not a photo guy, release in the water and there's no barbs on my hooks. I use my grippers on the hook and don't even touch the fish.

Now, salt water.. there's not much that I catch I don't eat! I try very hard with my fly caster (9 weight), yet always do end up (sooner or later) going for my casting rods/bait.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:43 pm

When I was younger laughed and said never going to have time to fish or golf!
Was half right never will golf.
A deep sea fishing trip out of Pruto Bay changed the other half,
Hooked a lot of Halibut, met my Doctors Brother in the crowd that gathered, while the captain cleaned our fish :thinking:
Two or three years later had a empty space in my two week old shop, there it is.
Fished 3 1/2 days a week worked the same, or a staggered 12-16 hour shift.
Said it before a few guides fished with me, limit is 25 per person several places for Kokanee, Yes I do eat them and smoke them. No they Didn’t waist. And the high limit is in place to help the other fish survive.
Fished the big blue the bays and skinny rivers, And lots of lakes.
Mostly try not to bring a trout to the boat, & will not eat Steelhead, tired of Salmon although the little kokes technically are salmon and difficult to catch that’s my thing and there are day’s I should have stayed in bed :lol:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rjgimp » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:49 pm

tony.latham wrote:
...how many take the fish they catch back to camp and fry it...

Slow:

I was raised on the damn things.

Once in a while, I'll pinch my nose, close my eyes, and have one with the wife. Yech. :frightened:

Tony

How about some lutefisk, Tony?
8)
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:28 am

How about some lutefisk, Tony?

It has to be better than trout!

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:27 pm

I've only fished freshwater a couple of times in my life.
They've recently opened some of the reservoirs here for recreational fishing, and I may give it a whirl.
However, the waters in the creeks here in South Oz are pretty muddy, not too much clear mountain snow melt running down our creeks.
About none really. Sadly the fish tend to reflect that in their somewhat muddy taste.
Apparently the trick is to trim all visible fat. I tend to stick to saltwater fishing. Much nicer fish in my opinion.
I think though, like all food, it depends on what you were raised on.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby GPW » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:40 pm

If you’re gonna fish the deeper water , you need BIGGER Bait … :thumbsup: ;) Obviously you have the wrong Bait … There’s Dead Bait , and Live Bait … Being a cajun and basically growing up on the water , we learned to Fish at an early age , and sometimes that’s the difference between eating or not … So it’s taken very seriously … well studied, discussed ( with other Fishermen) and practiced as much as possible 8) … Living on the Gulf means we have fresh water bayous , brackish marshes, and offshore fishing all close and easily available … even without a boat … :o All kinds of fish to catch … ;)

So if you can’t catch Fish , the best thing is get to know somebody that does know how and can show You how … :thumbsup:

Ps. I used to go up to Chalk Creek ( St. Elmo CO ) to my FIL cabin there… great fly fishing for Trout , but they were almost too pretty to eat . But we ate them anyway … Mmm Mmmmmmmm !!! :D ( I did cheat and use Salmon eggs too :o ) Only thing , coffee ( camp coffee) was a bit lukewarm straight off the fire ( 11,200ft ) … :R If I ever went there again , ( unlikely since FIL is RIP ) I’d be sure to drag the trailer along … ;)

Fishing , everybody should Fish eh !!! :D :thumbsup: 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:24 pm

In Texas, if you stay at a state park, you don't need a fishing license to fish.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:54 pm

MickinOz wrote:I think though, like all food, it depends on what you were raised on.

Right! That's why I eat all I can catch of this species:

(Actually, we eat it fried in bacon grease, not as shown in the picture; yuck!)

I'm not a fisherman, but used to go with friends on the charter boats out of Long Beach and San Pedro occasionally, when I lived in LA. I'd try to eat what I caught (bonito, or whatever), but never liked the taste much, no matter how we cooked it. Just not a seafood lover--unless the chef is so good and the fish so fresh it basically doesn't taste like fish.

On the other hand, one day the mackerel were biting. Serious fishermen/women were going deeper trying for better, and the guide told me mackerel are "trash fish". But I didn't tell my cat that, and he loved them! I tried some and couldn't tell it from any other fish I caught, fresh or from the can.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:13 pm

Believe it or not, I'm actually halfway fond of Spam.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby twisted lines » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:50 pm

MickinOz wrote:I've only fished freshwater a couple of times in my life.
They've recently opened some of the reservoirs here for recreational fishing, and I may give it a whirl.
However, the waters in the creeks here in South Oz are pretty muddy, not too much clear mountain snow melt running down our creeks.
About none really. Sadly the fish tend to reflect that in their somewhat muddy taste.
Apparently the trick is to trim all visible fat. I tend to stick to saltwater fishing. Much nicer fish in my opinion.
I think though, like all food, it depends on what you were raised on.

I think since I cant cast more then about ten times in a weekend I may try one of these;
I have seen Tuna from my boat but never want to hook one anymore :NC
smoked tuna belly is :FNP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa4HL6a ... e=youtu.be
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby cheaterparts » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:34 am

IMG_1292.JPG
IMG_1292.JPG (167.32 KiB) Viewed 871 times

last trip away with the camper about this time of the year last year main target species were Southern Blue Fin tuna or Yellow Tail Kingfish both great testers of tackle
that trip was to Portland Victoria Aust - just about 5 1/2 hours from home
this year most camping or trip of any kind have been out of bounds - with our state in some serious lock downs due to Covid ( it wasn't a lot of fun here in Melbourne )

We have just canceled of trip for the 16th of Jan where We were heading north to South West Rocks about 860 mile up the road which we aren't to happy about - I'm still to catch a marlin and it's prime time for them to come in close enough to paddle to them around Jan around that area of Australia
We can still get there but the borders are closed from NSW to our home state so we can't come home
I have rebooked for the 3rd of April ( easter sat ) till the 10th hopefully the borders will be open by then - Marlin will be gone but Spanish Mackerel - Cobia and other speedy things are still around for us

I really don't do much fresh water fishing but kayak fish off shore - inshore and bays and fish most week ends

I'll be dusting off the camper and probably head off for a fish over the Australia Day Week End 26th of Jan taking the monday off as well for a 4 day Week end
cheaterparts
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion