Tears and lanterns.

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Tears and lanterns.

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:14 am

While I have over 75 gas lanterns, I don't usually bring one. :lol: I had a couple small battery lamps I use to light the camp. I find I like just enough light to be able to move around without tripping over things. I'm just not a fan of bright campsites....people cane see what you are doing that way. :o
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:36 pm

I'm with Woodbucher. I have a small Northface LED lantern that can be dimmed. Most of the time it is on the lowest setting if we are not cooking or doing dishes. Same with our headlights as low as they will go too.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby working on it » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:02 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:... I had a couple small battery lamps I use to light the camp. I find I like just enough light to be able to move around without tripping over things. I'm just not a fan of bright campsites....people cane see what you are doing that way....
Same here, plus I spend my evenings at other campfires, talking to my friends...only returning to my site for tea refills. Lately though, I just string rope-lights on the ground, around my site's perimeter, and don't even use a battery-powered lantern at all.

P.S. I carry a never-used, never-fueled Coleman Northstar dual-fuel lantern in my galley; I bought it in 2012 (with extra mantles, fueling kit, etc), and never used it. I'm sure I would've used a "retro" lantern that I had searched for (to commemorate my first one, from Fall '61), but I never found one, and got the new Northstar from Cabela's; it imbues no reminiscent ambience associated with usage, that an older lantern would impart. I've never seen anyone use a gas lantern at any of the S. Central Group gatherings so far in 5 years of camping with them, so I just hold my Coleman in reserve.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby swoody126 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:19 am

slowcowboy wrote:So,..whats everyones preferences on lighting da camp up for camp lanterns ...propane or white gas,..or electricty?? ....poll...slow,.... hash and discuse...

Slow, i think your OP could safely go one step farther

your title TEARS & LANTERNS could(IMHO) easily be LANTERNS & LIGHTS IN CAMP

when an old cowboy would enter a saloon he would commonly step aside for a few moments once thru the swiging doors to allow his eyes to adjust to the level of light inside

going from a bright environment to a dark(dimmer) environment requires the eyes to adjust and the same is true for going from dark to light

in our chuck wagon camp we only get the bright lights out of the secret compartments on the mornings of cook offs when there is the issue of food prep for feeding 50-80 guests with the same food we turn in for competition

otherwise the old fashioned coal oil lantern is the brightest "bulb" lit in camp

and usually only one of them hanging over the tailboard(in the galley area) for serving needs

in my personal camp i use a candle or oil lantern on the table and inside the tepee for normal camp activities

if someone in camp gets a splinter etc that needs bright light for removal/medical attention there is always the infamous mini-mag-light(we change out the batteries annualy even though the old ones are still serviceable)

for reading inside the tepee a small head lamp works quite well

IMHO it doesn't take a 200 watt(2 mantle blow torch like noise emitting) light to watch a camp fire or visit with camp friends

CAMP/CAMPING is for relaxation of the entire body specially including the eyes

just this old man's 2ยข worth this morning

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Return to General Discussion