Gas or charchoal?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Gas or charchoal?

Postby RonS » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:45 pm

Gas is for heat. Charcoal is for cooking.
Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?
RonS
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:45 am

DaddyJeep wrote:This is how you cook a steak while camping.

I only cook over wood. Whether I am running one of my smokers or just some burgers for the family.

Crawl outta your box. Try some flank steak over buffalo chips. :D

:thumbsup: :beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby booyah » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:15 pm

I do both!

Webber Q 1200
Chargriller Akorn Jr

Got it all!
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:40 am

Gosh ! We’d have to import Buffalo chips ! No Buffalo around here … I’ll check Amazon !!! ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:43 am

GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:35 am

GPW wrote:… and naturally … https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... o+chips%22

I'm thinking that's not the BBQing stuff..... :thinking:

You may have to invite them to dinner.

:frightened:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:22 pm

slowcowboy wrote:Toney how would cow pies work for wood?...slow

As long as they're dry, they should work fine as a cooking fire. That's what everybody used while crossing the plains.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:13 am

"You may have to invite them to dinner.” Wow!!! That’s so Cool , and they’re so BIG … I imagine the Pioneers found LOTs of fuel in the old days … makes sense huh ? … :thinking: Sorta like Peat …just processed in mobile units … :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby LostCajun » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:43 am

GPW wrote:Gosh ! We’d have to import Buffalo chips ! No Buffalo around here … I’ll check Amazon !!! ;)

probably won't work....importing them....they would RE-hydrate upon arrival....

you probably could go local though and pick up rabbit spheres.....and first pass them through your solar cooker....and der ya go.....teardrop sized drop....maybe sized for a small rocket stove.....

my health....dang it....has put a 'damper' on a lot of stuff....

I just recently a few years ago learned how to 'smoke' meat....with a Cajun twist....I make a 'sweet/sour' adjusted.....apple juice/lemon juice....then cajun juice adjusted.....zatarains....crab boil....BRINE....mixture of charcoal briquets and lump....too much work to manage just a couple of years later....

I have small back stove for coffee making....I have resorted to a self starting MAP Gas cylinder for fire starting.....(I don't have time to play around with matches anymore)

I have a Dutch Oven table....and a stable of Dutch Ovens.....when I was a Boy Scout leader....I left a legacy of a whole bunch of scouts who know how to cook in dutch ovens....they have the State Jamboree Ribbons to prove it...

I want to plan what I will put in my build....I am afraid that due to tow vehicle requirements....I will have to leave my 14" Dutch Oven home...

I have 'never' used a propane grill for cooking off the hoof.....now for the fin.....I have a big double burner.....and mighty big pots....
Building a teardrop or reasonable facsimile thereof
Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=70932
LostCajun
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:52 am

Rabbits huh ??? That gives a whole new meaning to a “pellet” stove… :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:12 am

Charcoal and gas. I prefer a steak or burgers over charcoal or wood fire but in a pinch, I'll use my gas grill. I am curious now about the wood pellets.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby LostCajun » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:10 pm

CAJUN LADY wrote:Charcoal and gas. I prefer a steak or burgers over charcoal or wood fire but in a pinch, I'll use my gas grill. I am curious now about the wood pellets.

as a relatively new and late starter in the smoking arena....I found 'for me' that using the pellets manually are less than satisfying.....the mechanics of the 'fire' don't seem to be the same....

While I have used in tandem with wood chunks with some level of success....(I try to imagine the burn time of a single pellet/a single chunk of wood....and for me its a no brainer why I am not impressed....) now....I am thinking if I was to use a pellet feeder....I might have a different view....I am believing using pellets require more of hands off and mechanized process.

Now if all you want is to 'sprinkle' a little smoke....pellets will do that....

I would no way take what I said about this to the bank....just my limited exposure.

Craig
LostCajun
Teardrop Advisor

Postby LostCajun » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:12 pm

GPW wrote:Rabbits huh ??? That gives a whole new meaning to a “pellet” stove… :lol:

looking at pictures of your place.....probably half a dozen pellet reserves within a two minute walk....

Craig
LostCajun
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaddyJeep » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:30 pm

tony.latham wrote:
DaddyJeep wrote:This is how you cook a steak while camping.

I only cook over wood. Whether I am running one of my smokers or just some burgers for the family.

Crawl outta your box. Try some flank steak over buffalo chips. :D

:thumbsup: :beer:

Tony

We do have a buffalo farm near by. :thinking: I probably shouldn't tell the wife what I am using for fuel though... or my customers if I am cooking professionally.
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby 2bits » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:05 pm

I am one of the few that is "brave" enough to admit that I use a gas grill exclusively. (SHUDDER) I am not a purist or a BBQ snob, I just want a quick great tasting steak. Wood/charcoal etc is awesome of course but I am just not that picky and gas is just as good (SHUDDER AGAIN) and no I don't "taste the gas, that is the most ludicrous thing I ever hear when people say that. People who say that don't cook with gas, it's like saying you never shop at Harbor Freight because their tools suck, well how do you know if you haven't shopped there since 1992 haha

Please forgive my pre emptive defense, someone has to stand up for the poor misunderstood minority of left handed, gas grillin, bass players who thinks the best cars were made in the 70s 8)

A big part of why I stuck with gas is because for the past few years, it is not what am I having for dinner tonight, it is what am I grilling tonight. I literally would grill just almost every single night, I also have a grill inside my screened in porch and I just don't have the patience to set up the grill, load in the charcoal or whatever then light it and wait for it to get ready, then it gets crazy hot for one measly portion and then stays hot for an hour afterwards and then you have to clean out the ashes! What a waste of time and energy and money and I make a helluva steak and brats and chicken and baudoin and shrimp and and and haha :lol:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion