Washing a teardrop

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Washing a teardrop

Postby lfhoward » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi All,

In the last year (and especially the last season) my trailer has become rather filthy. The main reason is that it was parked under a black gum tree and the leaf litter plus all the rain we’ve had made a mess on the roof.

You can see the streaks of dirt coming down the side too.

My question is: What’s the best way to wash it? I assume a car wash would be an extraordinarily BAD idea. I am thinking any kind of power wash would be damaging to the caulk and seals and cause leaks. Does this risk also apply to the water pressure in a garden hose?

Maybe a bucket and sponge is the way to go? If so, what kind of soap cleans it well doesn’t strip off the caulk?

What do you do to wash your trailer?
Thanks for ideas!
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Washing a teardrop

Postby Karen Clancy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:39 pm

I wash mine on a regular bases generally before we head out. I use a car wash & wax concentrate soap ( Turtle wax brand ) it does a nice job on the mill finish aluminum on the teardrop . I also have use a electric power washer but kept it far enough away so I would not damaged anything . Most of the time after I wash I use a leaf blower to dry it off really don't want swirls on the aluminum, that is then followed up with a spray ( detail ) wax
Karen Clancy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby pchast » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:42 pm

I use a bucket and a soft çar wash brush. then rinse down and done.
(foamy, PMF)
:thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:10 pm

Since my teardrop is brushed anodized aluminum, I use Sprayway Window Cleaner and a micro fiber towel.
No need to hose it down, I clean it in the garage.
A can is about 2 bucks in a multi-pack of 4 at Costco.
We use it for lots of cleaning around the house since it foams when applied and really cleans.
If you get pitch on your teardrop, hand sanitizer works well to remove it, it's the alcohol.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Kim Armstrong » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:33 am

halfdome, Danny wrote:Since my teardrop is brushed anodized aluminum, I use Sprayway Window Cleaner and a micro fiber towel.
No need to hose it down, I clean it in the garage.
A can is about 2 bucks in a multi-pack of 4 at Costco.
We use it for lots of cleaning around the house since it foams when applied and really cleans.
If you get pitch on your teardrop, hand sanitizer works well to remove it, it's the alcohol.
:D Danny

Great stuff! Have used it at car shows and the house since the 70's. Smells good to.
Kim Armstrong
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:58 am

When I get home from a trip, I'm too tired to wash the trailer; so, I just park it in the garage. Days (or weeks) later, I put a little Prestone Bug Wash in a bucket and fill it half full with water and wipe the dirt, bugs, etc off with a soft plastic-covered sponge, right in the garage. I remove any pitch, that hasn't come off with the sponge, with a paper towel and a little mineral spirits or turpentine; but it's very rare that I need to do that. It usually all comes off with the Bug Wash. Some portions of the lifting roof sides get washed with a cloth at camp or when I happened to have the trailer out of the garage with the roof up for some other reason.

The reason I started using Bug Wash was three-fold. First, I figured that because it's used in a car's windshield washer system, it has to be safe for car finishes/paint. Second, it does a good job of loosening those dead bugs and bits of road tar and mud that sometimes get on the front/sides. Third, there's no need to rinse! I've been using it for years and haven't had a problem yet, knock on wood. A gallon of that stuff goes a long way, too....Lots of washes!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to General Discussion