Rough Layout Comment

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Rough Layout Comment

Postby greenchicken » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:09 pm

So based on responses to my posts and my research this is the rough plan.

It will be a 10x5x5 cabin on a 8x5 Northern Tool Trailer.

Cabin will extend 1 foot past trailer on each side.

Will reposition Axil for a 60/40 split.

The walls will be comprised on 3 panels. Front, Back, and Door header.

I was limited by the shapes available in excel.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 11.38.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 11.38.31 AM.png (48.84 KiB) Viewed 408 times
greenchicken
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Rough Layout Comment

Postby noseoil » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:35 am

It looks OK to me, but remember your materials which are available locally. If it's going to be 5' 6" tall, you need to source material for the sides of the build. Will you join the sheets along the edges with a spline of dowel pins? Will it be a stick-frame build? Can you get materials for the outside skin the right size?

A 5' tall design is OK, but you still lack standing head room, so is 4' better in general? There aren't any right answers, just compromises you will have to make along the way, to have a build you enjoy using.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Andrew Herrick » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:15 am

You might want to review a current and ongoing thread about camper height:

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71087

That may help address some questions and/or concerns about a 5-ft tall cabin body.

Some other advice: First of all, get rid of Excel :lol: If you want free 3D, look into Sketchup. If you want free 2D, get Draftsight. Both are excellent free modeling programs.

As another posted pointed out, unless you plan to work with 5x5 Baltic Birch plywood or structural 5x10 aluminum sheeting, you'll be hard pressed to find construction materials in 5-ft widths, so you'll be splicing quite a few panels. Unless you enjoy scarfing, dovetailing and similar woodworking techniques, I'd look into a stick-built frame or solid board and batten construction. Otherwise, splicing thin panels is a pain.

Lastly, while there is NOTHING wrong with 6-inch subfloor storage, it's only one of many options out there. Putting in a dropfloor compartment is easier to build and access, but you lose space. Putting a cargo rack on top requires more muscle to lift items, but it's far more practical.

Looks like you're off to a good start!
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:37 am

First of all, get rid of Excel :lol:

That was my reaction too. Sketchup is great and so is graph paper. Don't restrict your build by using the limitations of software designed to crunch numbers.

A couple of other thoughts:

-What will you be able to put in the under-trailer storage? I'm scratching my head on what I take on a trip that would fit in 6 inches and I can't think of anything other than a couple of fishing rods.

-How wide is your tongue box? Is there enough clearance between your tow vehicle for backing?

-Is there going to be a galley? If so, it'll be a long reach past the floor. There's a reason the rear of a Benroy rolls back and drops straight down and one of them is accessibility to the galley. If no galley, why the 10'?

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to General Discussion