My take on under bed storage and sitting room

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

My take on under bed storage and sitting room

Postby Paul Revesz » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:16 am

Hi. This is my first post and would first like to thank everyone on here for the inspiration and ideas for my build.
One of the first things I set out to do was to figure out a way to have comfortable seating inside my trailer. I think, and hope, that what I have come up with be a solution to the goal and also give me extra storage room underneath. The concept is to have one sliding box inside another that is operated by a linear actuator. The floor when raised will only be about 3" below the frame bottom. Not the easiest way to do this, but then I never seem to do things the easy way.

gallery/image.php?album_id=4926&image_id=156816
gallery/image.php?album_id=4926&image_id=156817
gallery/image.php?album_id=4926&image_id=156818
gallery/image.php?album_id=4926&image_id=156819
gallery/image.php?album_id=4926&image_id=156820
gallery/image.php?album_id=4926&image_id=156821
gallery/image.php?album_id=4926&image_id=156822
Paul Revesz
Teardrop Inspector

Re: My take on under bed storage and sitting room

Postby Cosmo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:16 am

Great concept drawings. I like the design.

Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby Paul Revesz » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:08 am

I wanted it more for seating. The storage is a bonus. I also wanted the seating as close as possible to proper ergonomics. Usually about 17" seating off the floor.
Paul Revesz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:02 pm

I made bench seats with a table and have never used them as such in the 7+ years that I've been using the trailer. Not only that; but also, if you unmake the bed, you have to find somewhere to store the sleeping bags or bedding; and, storage is at a premium, getting used up quickly. Instead, you might consider having bed trays added or you could raise up the bed a little and have just the bottom flip down with a flip down/up table in front of that. That way, the bedding could stay in place ...Just something to think about. Think outside the "box".
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Good seal will be important

Postby Dusty Mark » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:50 pm

Your design looks sound. Sealing the area between the inner and outer box will be critical. It will be exposed to water pushed at great force when driving in the rain at highway speeds. We use our basement with our futon sofa during inclement weather and are happy we incorporated it in the build.
Dusty Mark
Teardrop Master

Postby warnmar10 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:22 pm

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." - Jonathan Swift
warnmar10
Teardrop Master

Postby ae6black » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:53 pm

Most people don't think much like me but personally, I feel a tear drop cabin is mainly for sleeping in. You are just so cramped that the set up changes would be a major operation and for my tastes just not worth the effort. I'd rather put my money in a tarp or canopy that I could sit under on a rainy day. I can see the value of a back rest to be propped up to watch some TV. My experience has been that you just aren't in a TD cabin for anything else.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby Paul Revesz » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:16 am

I honestly don't think I will be using the seating a lot. It was more of an idea that sorta took off. I wanted to see if it could be done. As far as bedding, it would tuck right in behind the rear cushions. I plan on doing a lot of camping in northern Ontario and even in summer when it rains it can get pretty cool. Having and indoor place to sit would be quite comfortable now that I am not young anymore.
Paul Revesz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:08 am

Paul Revesz wrote:I honestly don't think I will be using the seating a lot. It was more of an idea that sorta took off. I wanted to see if it could be done. As far as bedding, it would tuck right in behind the rear cushions. I plan on doing a lot of camping in northern Ontario and even in summer when it rains it can get pretty cool. Having and indoor place to sit would be quite comfortable now that I am not young anymore.

I just watched your video and hit the subscribe button. It's good watching a serious woodworker take on a camper using unconventional building methods –-at least for teardrops.

You might see what you can gather on how Vistabule does their drop floor and mattress/cushions. https://vistabule.com/ They've got a presence on Youtube and build really-fine campers.

Two springs ago, we headed off on a six-week SW teardrop trip. Snow rolled into that country the last week and we decided to head home. There wasn't any reason to continue camping. We did the same thing over the hill in Montana last summer. It turned rainy and the forecast said it was going to stick around for a few days. Again it was time to cut the trip short. If we need to shelter for a couple of hours, I'd just as soon snuggle in and read while flat. Maybe sneak a nap in.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to General Discussion