Bacon grease???...were do you drain it while camping

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Bacon grease???...were do you drain it while camping

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:56 am

slowcowboy wrote:So,it's 3 am you out at the teardrop and your frying bacon...you hear a grunting in da woods..hmmmm??...reaching for your can of bear spray thinking of the hunting guide killed by jackson out guiding a a elk bow hunt...the thought crosses your mind how to safely get rid of your bacon grease...the ranch cooks probaly just pitch it down a prarrie dog hole.my old ranch boss growed it in his bot belly stove on top his fire wood every moring as i wrangled our horses....so..lets think bear safety and camping what the heck do we do to safely get rid of bacon grease..load up the bear box at the camp ground walmart plastic sack and to the bear proff gstbage dumpster...thoughts national forest out house down da jonny???? With manure in the crapper????...

Ideas????.....your moring Slow

We save it in a stew can (kept for the purpose) and keep it with the rest of the perishable foods. Why throw away something with that much food value? (That's why the bears like it--they're not stupid!) ;)

After the bacon is gone, spam fried in bacon grease can be pretty tasty!

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby TinyCamperPro » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:05 am

I agree! Just an extra tin can lying around and let the grease harden. Then you can cook all your foods in delicious bacon grease (Burgers are extra delicious). Never have to worry about anything sticking... :D Then store it where you would store your primary food.
Check out our blog and some of our projects!

http://www.tinycamperpro.com
TinyCamperPro
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:53 pm

We save ours in a recycled tin can and later burn it in a Fat Lamp … ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby me&z » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:25 pm

Pre-bake the bacon at home but leave it uncrisp. Gets rid of most of the excess grease. Heat & crisp the bacon in your frying pan which will leave just enough grease behind for your eggs.

Since we are only 2, I pre-bake all of our bacon. Freeze the extra flat before bagging and it is simple to grab just a few slices as needed. Reheats nicely in the microwave too.

Useful article about baking times and texture. Baking bacon is so much easier than frying it.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/the ... -oven.html
me&z
Teardrop Master

Postby Andrew Herrick » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:49 pm

Prebaking the bacon sounds like the smartest bear-safe option. If you save the bacon grease - and let's be honest, why wouldn't you? :) - then wouldn't stringing it up in a bear-proof canister along the rest of the food work as good as anything else?

Remember: A bear is thought to have the best smell of any animal on earth! Probably 21x better than your dog. Unless you dig a 3-ft deep hole and bury the grease in a mason jar, a bear will smell the bacon grease no matter where you put it (hence why best practice would be to string up the clothes you cooked the bacon in as well). Best to put the grease somewhere you're not lol.

As far as putting grease into a composting toilet ... I think that's generally considered a no-no.

Plus, then maybe the bear breaks in on some poor, unsuspecting soul in the outhouse :D
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:35 pm

slowcowboy wrote:Grizzlys are attracted to food smells were you going to store the cab of grease at night????? Slow

What Andrew says...

We put the can of grease in our cooler and put that in a bear box when available, or in our Jeep (lower bear risk areas). Why would the grease be worse than other foods? Open the margarine, or cheese, or any other food package and the bear can smell those.

Actually, unopened foods have a distinctive smell too (from the warehouses and groceries they were stored in). A smart and curious bear could probably figure out those smells represent food.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:14 pm

We don't use bacon anymore... disposal problem solved.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:45 am

We don’t have any Bears … We have Alligators , who probably like Bacon too … :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:17 am

if as others above have suggested you choose not to save it for frying Spam n burgers... simply burn it in the camp fire

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Andrew Herrick » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:53 am

MtnDon wrote:We don't use bacon anymore...

Impossible. Simply impossible! :lol:
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby me&z » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:19 pm

slowcowboy wrote:I like the idea of the pre- bake idea less grease..that might be the cats meow..slow..

Slow,

That Serious Eats article is great but be aware that your oven temp may or may not be calibrated correctly. So keep an eye on the bacon the first time you oven cook it. Adjust time/temp to your preference.

And that thing about meaty texture vs. meltingly tender based on oven temp? It is real. Lower and slower does make the bacon more "melty".

me
me&z
Teardrop Master

Postby MtnDon » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:55 pm

Andrew Herrick wrote:
MtnDon wrote:We don't use bacon anymore...

Impossible. Simply impossible! :lol:

Difficult, not impossible. ;)
At age 55 I had high cholesterol, high blood pressure and was pre-diabetic and had a few other issues. The doctors wanted to prescribe meds and cut out some of my internal parts. Instead, we made some dietary changes (no beef, pork, lamb to speak of, many more vegetables, and much less sodium and sugar intake. Now my cholesterol is good, my blood pressure is good for my age (72), my blood sugar levels are okay and the other issues went away as well and I still have all my parts which function much better than they did.

All that is with NO medications just diet changes and more exercise (walking mostly) than I used to have. Plus my waist size dropped back to where it was most of my younger adult life.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby PKCSPT » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:14 am

congratulations MtnDon, that's great
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:35 pm

we caught a neighbor pouring it on dog poop in his yard.
He was embarrassed to say the least.
He figures it will take care of the problem dog owners who don't clean up after their dog.
Personally we don't eat bacon, so no problem either way. :FNP
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:00 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:we caught a neighbor pouring it on dog poop in his yard.
He was embarrassed to say the least.
He figures it will take care of the problem dog owners who don't clean up after their dog.
Personally we don't eat bacon, so no problem either way. :FNP
:D Danny

Huh? What does that do? Does it make other animals want to eat it?
Ya know, humans are the only animals that don't have the proper enzymes to enable them to eat poop; but, I don't imagine it tastes all that good.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to General Discussion