Postby JokerOne » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:10 am

I'm looking for good layout software.

Any suggestions?

thanks.
JokerOne
Teardrop Builder

Re: CAD Software recommendations?

Postby fishboat » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:03 am

Sketchup..easy and free. Although long-time CAD users tend not to like it (hard to convert CAD skills to SU skills) as the 'logic' of how to do things in SU is 'different'. Not having ever used commercial CAD software, I don't know what that means. Sketchup was once owned..and I think originally developed, by Google. Trimble now owns it. There is a free and professional($) version. Both are the same package and have the same functionality. The Pro version has additional software in a package.

I found SU easy to grasp and it works very well...been using it 10+ years. There's a HUGE support network with forums and video tutorials, add-in software, 3D warehouse. If you can conceive it, it can be drawn. Draw things how they are built and use components, always. There are good and terrible habits when using SU (or I assume any CAD software). If you have bad habits, you're in for a frustrating experience.
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Postby noseoil » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:19 am

I think a pencil, paper & eraser are better investments myself. After running with both, I tend to go with what works. You can get lost in the weeds running new software & trying to learn it, or you can use a pencil & paper to get the job done. If you are trying to build something, just build it.

I never liked running new software, it's frustrating at times & keeps you away from the final product...
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:32 am

I've been using Sketchup for a few months and find it a great tool. There are lots of tutorials on Youtube including a series Dan Lott did for designing teardrops.

Here's what I have cooking right now:

When I do this 'drop, I'll lay everything out on the full-sized profile to confirm it'll all work --and that's where the rubber meets the road.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:12 pm

I used my Dad's 70 year old drawing board, and the drafting equipment I'd used in high school in the 70's. It was more difficult and not as much fun as I remembered it, and took several weeks out of my Summer when I could have been building. Next time I'll try software!

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:25 pm

Here’s another vote for SketchUp. I brainstormed my build first with a pencil and paper but once it was in SketchUp it was easy to determine the exact lengths of wood and aluminum I needed to build it for real.

My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby fishboat » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:09 am

tony.latham wrote:I've been using Sketchup for a few months and find it a great tool. There are lots of tutorials on Youtube including a series Dan Lott did for designing teardrops.

Here's what I have cooking right now:

When I do this 'drop, I'll lay everything out on the full-sized profile to confirm it'll all work --and that's where the rubber meets the road.

:thumbsup:

Tony

+1 Nice work.

noseoil..funny..using SU does just the opposite for me. It's a great tool to know before the build that everything will fit exactly as I planned. If it doesn't work in the model, it won't work in real life(including joinery). I'm a woodworker and the "draw it like I'd build it" let's me work out issues virtually before they become issues in real life. By the time I actually build something I know it in my head, in 3D, inside and out. This allows me to make changes if I like, and immediately anticipate, in my head or in the model, how those changes might impact other aspects of the build. With complicated builds..this helps (me) a lot. The model also let's me appreciate what cuts are critical in terms of accuracy and what cuts will be cut to fit.

Also...drawing the 3D model allows me to decide whether I like the relative proportions of a design, from any angle, before it becomes a build. Without seeing it in 3D before a build, if I'm not happy how it looks when it's done, I've wasted lots of time, materials, money..etc.

I admire folks that can think something up and just start cutting wood to make it (typically they are in the business of doing such things)..I benefit from more planning. That, and I think SU is fun. I have quite a few drawing/models that are "on the shelf" that I haven't had time to build..yet.
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Postby fishboat » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:17 am

lfhoward wrote:Here’s another vote for SketchUp. I brainstormed my build first with a pencil and paper but once it was in SketchUp it was easy to determine the exact lengths of wood and aluminum I needed to build it for real.

Very nice.

I couldn't imagine building something like this without a 3D plan where I can pull apart individual assemblies and construct them. I know..it's been done and has been done forever..just not by me. It's just hard to go back.
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Postby UK-Corlett » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:21 am

For the more serious minded but shallow of pocket.

DesignCAD 3D Max comes in at $49 to $99 A lot more expensive than free But as good as most $1000 offerings.
It has a support forum similar to this one.
https://www.turbocad.com/designcad/

It has the learning curve of a full CAD system and miss out on the photo real nice shading of the expensive CAD systems but that's it.

Clive

PS
I am a professional mechanical engineer and I use this at work to design some seriously complex stuff
and have produced some 10,000 drawings over the last 15 yrs.
UK-Corlett
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:34 am

familiar with DesignSpark?

freecad vs librecad ?
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:22 pm

lfhoward wrote:Here’s another vote for SketchUp. I brainstormed my build first with a pencil and paper but once it was in SketchUp it was easy to determine the exact lengths of wood and aluminum I needed to build it for real.

I would frame the hand drawn plan and put it is the camper. The second one not so much.

I like Sketch Up, Need to spend more time using it to get quicker. I was drawing a cabinet with Sketch Up and knew I would have a problem in an area but spent many hours :? trying to figure out how to draw it the right way. 60 seconds with paper and minutes later I was cutting wood.

I can see stuff in my mind to scale, some people really struggle with that. My wife couldn't see why we could get a couch, love seat, two chairs and a table for the living room. :NC

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby twisted lines » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:35 pm

fishboat wrote: Although long-time CAD users tend not to like it (hard to convert CAD skills to SU skills) as the 'logic' of how to do things in SU is 'different'.

Thank you that explanes it for me.
I have and use more then a handful of CAD and drawing programs some free some far from it.
Formal training with Auto cad 2000 in 2000 and forgot a lot.

Solid Edge 2D Free

Is the one of that I use most for what I do now. 4X8 CNC Plasma / Router TOY
Youtube videos galore for learning it, here is one that i didn't watch but shows enough detail to search and find the free download.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKwZ9fPle9M

My bulb joint drawing for the plywood roof & Aluminum Spars ?
Attachments
Roof.JPG
Roof.JPG (44.01 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby eLink » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:17 pm

I have used Sketchup professionally for many, many years, and can tell you that it is an excellent program for both visualization and accurate technical drawings. It can be as simple or complex as you want it to be.

Coddiwompler.jpg
Plywood panel layout updates as the model progresses...
Coddiwompler.jpg (130.67 KiB) Viewed 1813 times
eLink
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion