Water Tanks, size, style, location etc...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Water Tanks, size, style, location etc...

Postby greenchicken » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:21 am

Hi all and Merry Christmas

I plan to have a small sink with an electric pump.

Looking for recommendation of size (# of Gallons), style, locations, etc.

I want to be sure my plans leave adequate space.
greenchicken
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Water Tanks, size, style, location etc...

Postby John61CT » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:19 pm

RotopaX, pick a standard size, use for drinking water, waste water, fuel whatever.

Put mounts wherever is convenient for swapping out, e.g. right over the sink for gravity feed.

Also in strategic locations for load balancing, tuning the towball weight.

Inside or out.

Yes seem "too expensive", check out Chinese knockoffs if you like, but

for the flexibility and robust portability, IMO worth every penny.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby greenchicken » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:58 pm

Those are most cool.... but don't I need more like 10 gallon to run a sink for clean up after dinner?
greenchicken
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:05 pm

greenchicken wrote:Those are most cool.... but don't I need more like 10 gallon to run a sink for clean up after dinner?

Plan on 1 gallon per person per day. (I think a sink is going to eat water like a dry dog).

The seven-gallon. Reliance jugs have worked well for our water needs for years.

With that type of installation, they're space-saving efficient. No pump needed.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:40 pm

greenchicken wrote:Those are most cool.... but don't I need more like 10 gallon to run a sink for clean up after dinner?
If you really "need" that, then you are boondocking, what, one night at a time before getting back to civilisation?

Or hauling a huge heavy rig around, those 10 gallons weigh 83+ pounds.

Thousands of boats cross oceans with less than 40gal total fresh tank capacity.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby greenchicken » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:49 pm

The seven-gallon. Reliance jugs have worked well for our water needs for years.

That looks perfect for me. I want to ditch the whole sink but my son really wants it. But that looks like it could be a good middle ground.

I don't need to last days, just one round of clean up. I will always be close to a water supply so I can refill easily. Just tired of helping my dirty dishes in the dark for clean up.

Thanks.
greenchicken
Teardrop Advisor

Postby swoody126 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:57 am

many years ago when boondocking in our pop-top between Creede & Lake City, Colo we learned to use large 16" stainless bowls for clean-up

one on the stove w/ soapy water to start

once the water was warmed to our likin' it was removed and the 2nd one replaced it w/ clean water for rinsing

the process was quick and the bowls didn't take up much space since stuff lived in them during travel

the onboard tank would get wonky and required a thorough rinsing/cleaning annually and we just quit using it

those big stainless bowls are staples in our kit to this day EVEN when set up in parks w/ running water since we prefer to do our cooking n eating outdoors even when traveling in the RV

+1 for the above mentioned/championed blue jugs work quite well and can be cleaned out easily/regularly

that being said...

the bridal unit insists the wash water be warm/hot and unless one plans to have a water heater you still have to heat the water on the stove so why not just heat it in "the sink"(2 sinks actually 1-wash & 1-rinse)

POC (piece of cake) ;-)

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Kaz » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:37 pm

I have a 9 gallon tank. I only fill it when I get to where I'm going, either by local hose or I'll bring a 7 gallon jug with me. Only cold water washing up or oral hygene and the dog. If I want hot water I always have the stove or fire. Never travel with the extra weight in trailer. 156962
Kaz
Kaz
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:01 pm

...the bridal unit insists the wash water be warm/hot and...

And who wouldn't? That's what the stainless "coffee" pot --with the handle-- is for when it's not heating for brown brew.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:12 pm

I can just make it a weekend, ( my son and I) with 6 gallons if I conserve and I am careful washing the dishes. 12 works with a lot more slack.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby kramergwt » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:30 pm

I put a 22 gallon tank in mine. You can see it cradled in the gray box under the trailer frame. Also have a 12v Shuflo pump. Not for drinking but for showers and dishes. The plywood box is to protect the tank. Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kramergwt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KennethW » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:09 am

I feel a water system and sink is a waste of space and a lot of extra pounds. I use very little water for dish clean up paper plates over China and a cast iron frying pan only need a dab of water and a wiped out with a paper towel. A case of bottle water with last about 5 days for the 2 of us.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:08 pm

Water needs and usage are different for everyone. We live in desert and have different water needs then others might. Rarely do we camp in campgrounds with bathrooms, showers and water. The 7 gallon blue jugs work great for most uses. We will probably use one or smaller for drinking water but it will be in the Jeep. One of my must haves in our trailer build is a shower. With hot water. I planed my water storage to fit under the camper between the wheels. I have room if I can find the right size tank for 35-40 gallons. It will be for non potable water only. Yes it is a lot of weight but it doesn't need to be filled for every trip and I'd fill it closer to where we are camping if we have a long road drive to get there. The water tank will come later once we know what our use is, I just what to get to where we can start using the camper.

Since we will have water and water heater is just makes sense to have a sink. The main thing for wash up and brushing teeth. I hate when I see tooth paste spit out all around the campsite. So I'm not going to do it.

One way to figure how much water is needed is see what the water output on the pump is and you'll have an idea. If the pump is 1 gallon per minute you'll use less than if the pump is 2.5 GPM. Either way long hot showers are out. :frightened:

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:52 pm

I have a microwave in my galley that can be easily removed. Last year my daughter and I did Slow Cowboy's "Walk The Winds" trip. I knew I would not have any electricity for the entire 9 day trip, so pulled the microwave out. In it's pace I stowed (3) 3.5 gallon Waterbrick containers. Fit nicely and only added 80 pounds net weight very near the axle, avoiding balance issues. I refilled them once along the way, and came home with 5 gallons left.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:38 am

KennethW wrote:I feel a water system and sink is a waste of space and a lot of extra pounds. I use very little water for dish clean up paper plates over China and a cast iron frying pan only need a dab of water and a wiped out with a paper towel. A case of bottle water with last about 5 days for the 2 of us.

I don't have a sink, just a dish washing station that I set up at camp. For me a water system makes sense so that my young son could get water without my help. I added an instant water heater last year. Its great for dish washing and washing up. Its become one of my favorite additions.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion