Just thinking out loud

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Just thinking out loud

Postby ae6black » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:20 pm

While I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a new Casita for reasons mentioned in the dark side post, I haven't yet done so. My problem, I don't need two small campers. I built my TD to slide on and off a 4 X 8 trailer which I periodically use as a trailer. I don't want to get rid of the trailer regardless of what I do. I may just keep the TD on the Trailer and use it strictly for the cold weather camping that I built it for. Other problem is, as long as the TD is mounted on the trailer, I don't use the trailer as a trailer as often as I would if my TD wasn't sitting on it. While I've never been much of a businessman, I don't really want to get rich off of the sale of the TD that I made and have used for the past 8 or so years. I spent over $3000 building materials for the thing, and am wondering if I could get 1/2 that much out of it by someone that has a trailer to mount it on. I built like a tank with 3/4" plywood sidewalls and insulated the sidewalls and ceiling and covered with aluminum. The reason I built so rugged a camper was because of the stresses I though I might be putting on it during the removal and mounting procedures. I wonder if there would be anybody out there in Teardrop land interested in a plain Jane TD (no sink and minimum cabinets because I use the shelf in the cabin for a laptop and to put my porcelain heater on) that really shines for cold weather camping for one person? I say 1 person, because being a 4 X 6 1/2' cabin, I didn't bother putting in a second door since I didn't think I'd ever need it for one person in that small of a space. If someone was interested, they would need to have a trailer with the axle mounted in the proper rear position. Since I use my trailer for other things, I never bothered moving the axle. I just use a very over designed box mounted to the front of my trailer that I use as a counter weight. The system that I have has worked great for me over the years. But as we age, needs change with them. Just testing the waters.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Re: Just thinking out loud

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:40 pm

:thinking: Don't know for certain; but, you might be ahead to sell the whole thing, as is. You would probably be able to sell it for more money than one without a chassis; enough money to pay for a new flat bed trailer +++. If you sell the cabin by itself, many people may be hesitant to purchase it simply because they aren't as talented or knowledgeable as you. But, my guess is that selling the entire ensemble has "Wow!" value because of its versatility and can be sold for much more than a cabin that is bolted to a chassis. However, I recognize that you may be especially fond of your flat bed trailer for various reasons....
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby ae6black » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:30 am

I am fond of that trailer. My father and I had it made when I just got out of college. With him gone now, that trailer has been a large part of my life. Doesn't cost me anything to keep the TD, it's just taking up space.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:16 am

Only way to stay Happy is Keep your sentimental trailer , Put the TD on blocks or horses for display for sale or storage , and buy the Casita … You know you want it … and if you can afford it , they’re not getting any cheaper … “ Just Do it !!!” :thumbsup: 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jandmz » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:14 pm

When you mentioned "getting older" as your motivation to change your camping style, you struck a familiar chord. My wife and i went "dark" about 8 years ago. We had previously used a pair of popups. I held onto one of the popups for years because, as you stated, it cost next to nothing to keep it.

We finally realized that we had made a lot of memories in it, but now it was just sitting. It was just a "thing" to which we attached meaning. I finally, on a whim, mentioned it on a classic popup group. Seeing it posted on that group a few months later, cleaned, polished and set up in a campground was rewarding. Someone was making new memories with their family in their "new" camper.

I know that your trailer has some emotion attached to it, so dismount your "box" and keep it. And, in the meantime enjoy your Casita. And, just a side note, If you get a Casita, be sure to go for the bathroom option. As you "mature" (we don't use the "O" word in our house) you will be glad to have it.
jandmz
Teardrop Master

Postby ae6black » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:25 pm

I have decided on the Casita. If I found someone interested in the TD, I'd let it go for much cheaper than they could build one. I am thinking specifically of someone in college who like to hunt but doesn't have the funds to construct one on their own since they're busy with other areas of their life. If no one is interested, I'l just keep it and use it less and less as I use the one with a bathroom more and more.
This TD has served it's purpose in my life, and I wouldn't have missed the adventure of building it and using it. The build truly is the best part of the adventure.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:47 pm

Happy New Year Art !!! Good Camping !!! Bon Voyage !!! :thumbsup: 8) That worked out Nicely !!! ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:08 pm

Problem solved. Good for you! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby redbicycle » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:42 am

When you are ready to get the TD out of your yard you could buy a be HF trailer and put the box on it. That way you can keep the trailer you are fond of but also have a teardrop someone can hook up and go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redbicycle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:59 pm

Art,

Which model Casita have you decided on? We've looked at them and like what we see. The factory is less than 100 miles from our home.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby ae6black » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:25 pm

Tom I am looking at the 17' Spirit deluxe which only has a 14' cabin. I favor the Freedom but a local owner who let me tour his unit pointed out the extra storage available under the two person dinette. These things are not large by any standard, but they seem to hold their value and are virtually maintenance free. In form and function, for me it will be a Teardrop on steroids with a wet bath. I can't see me doing much cooking inside as I've always cooked outside even when I camped with the family in a pop up and a Coachman trailer. The wet bath isn't ideal, but I am ordering the one with the outside shower and will probably use a shower tent for most of that sort of thing. What I love about the unit is the bathroom that has become more appealing the older I get. I still love my Teardrop and I am sure will use it periodically.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:32 pm

My sister just bought a brand new Liberty I believe was the model. The captains chairs was the selling point and would be mine to if I were to buy one. I also second the comment that you can get another 4x8 trailer off Craigslist to sell the camper as a whole with so you can keep the one you like and if you are serious about selling, having it actually be a complete unit is the only way you will be able to get half your investment out of it. We all know we will never get our money that we put into them or at least we should! 8)
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:50 am

If you do get the Casita, I know you'll enjoy it.

I'll "third" the suggestion that you'll get a better return on selling your teardrop if it is attached to a trailer.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby ae6black » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:31 pm

As far as selling my TD, I think everyone is right, it needs a trailer under it. Until I have a retirement home, I am not going to be fussing around with a third trailer, so, I'll just keep the Tear mounted and use it just once in a while for old times sake.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby ae6black » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:19 pm

After reading a lot of posts regarding my dark side leanings when it comes to winter camping, I've decided that I just might make a darned good fence straddler. In my opinion, you can not beat a Teardrop for cold weather camping. One reason I've never made a tearjerker gathering is that I rarely camp during the summer and I have a dog that goes with me on most camping trips. The Casita that I am purchasing is probably not going to be as near good a winter camping platform as the TD. I'd thought that I could just sit a porta potty in the shower room for really cold weather and camp in the new unit while it was winterized. But from what I've been reading, these fiberglass trailers are miserable to camp in when it is really cold. So, me thinks I just might use both for the foreseeable future. I'll probably use the camping trailer for the most agreeable three seasons and the Tear for when most people stay home. Isn't it great to be an American? We can have more stuff than we need.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Return to General Discussion