The Kitchenette!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

The Kitchenette!

Postby Dahlia47 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:13 pm

So I am now working on the kitchenette. I am using gravity for the water. Basically a small water jug with a spout, right under it a small sink with a drain and a container to catch the dirty water. Small and compact. The area I have to work with is 1 ft deep, 5 ft across and 3 ft high. The one thing I am stuck on is a little burner. Only one burner. I like to BBQ with hubby, so most cooking will be outside. However, I would like to install one burner on the inside. Propane of course. If you all have any ideas or pics would be awesome! (for some odd reason I cant post pics yet! Grr!)

Also, I would like a small heater. Propane. I saw some of you mention the Little Buddy Heater. What are your thoughts on that? Is it safe? Can I store it away during the warm season? Will it warm a small space. The size of our little camper is 10'X6'X5.5' if I remember correctly. Are there any other small heaters you can recommend?

For me , the smaller the better. I dont need much. And I dont have a lot of storage space. Less is more! :D
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Re: The Kitchenette!

Postby KennethW » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:49 pm

Some people use little buddy heaters but definitely not safe. Every year someone dies in a fish house in Minnesota using a unvented propane heater. I use a full vented Chinese diesel parking heater. (I burn kerosene). $150 on eBay. But it does use battery power.(solar?). If only a little cold some use a 12volt electric heater pad to preheat and warm blankets. Over night.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
ImageImage
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:03 pm

I once had a little buddy heater but stopped using as it would constantly turn itself off due to a over sensitive sensor.
Last year I put it out at the curb and some pack rat took it, good luck :lol:
We use an electric ceramic heater, works great. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:09 pm

I’m planning on installing a Propex heater in my next build. Sit down and take a breath.

$700.

T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:29 pm

KennethW wrote:Some people use little buddy heaters but definitely not safe. Every year someone dies in a fish house in Minnesota using a unvented propane heater. I use a full vented Chinese diesel parking heater. (I burn kerosene). $150 on eBay. But it does use battery power.(solar?). If only a little cold some use a 12volt electric heater pad to preheat and warm blankets. Over night.

I really curious about your experience with this style of heater. How well does it work? Is it noisy? Does it smell? How often/long does it run at a given temperature?
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KennethW » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:16 pm

Pmullen503 wrote:I really curious about your experience with this style of heater. How well does it work? Is it noisy? Does it smell? How often/long does it run at a given temperature?

I works very well. It has a fan and fuel pump. The fuel pump makes a rhythmic thumping noise.(covered mine with a piece of fun noodle) and it will make a distant jet like noise on startup. (not very loud) 25 feet away you would hardly hear it.
Smell a little on startup and shutdown(propane will smell a little too) I use kerosene as it smells less when refueling(burns cleaner too). The low cost model has a variable output.(not temperature) I have a foamie so it is insulated fairly good. At 0 degree's outside I run it on low with a window and vent cracked open. Or a person could run it on high for about 10 minutes at a time to make it really toasty, Then every time the camper cools off.(manually) Very easy if you put the control with in reach when sleeping. The on and off method will use less battery power in that the fan will only run a short time. The high priced one's have temperature controls but for the number of times I will be in need of heat I feel I can use the lower cost control. PS I just want people to stay safe.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Pmullen503 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:59 am

KennethW wrote:..........
I works very well. It has a fan and fuel pump. The fuel pump makes a rhythmic thumping noise.(covered mine with a piece of fun noodle) and it will make a distant jet like noise on startup. (not very loud) 25 feet away you would hardly hear it.
Smell a little on startup and shutdown(propane will smell a little too) I use kerosene as it smells less when refueling(burns cleaner too). The low cost model has a variable output.(not temperature) I have a foamie so it is insulated fairly good. At 0 degree's outside I run it on low with a window and vent cracked open. Or a person could run it on high for about 10 minutes at a time to make it really toasty, Then every time the camper cools off.(manually) Very easy if you put the control with in reach when sleeping. The on and off method will use less battery power in that the fan will only run a short time. The high priced one's have temperature controls but for the number of times I will be in need of heat I feel I can use the lower cost control. PS I just want people to stay safe.

Thanks for the reply. I too am looking at it for occasional use with a foamy. Do you have a feel for how much battery it uses overnight?
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KennethW » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:42 am

Pmullen503 wrote:Thanks for the reply. I too am looking at it for occasional use with a foamy. Do you have a feel for how much battery it uses overnight?

I will do a test for you tonight. (As I have solar that I do not want to unhook.) I have a well used(abused) 100 amp battery so the test may not be the best. I will take a voltage at the begin run it on low thru the night and take a reading in the morning. 8)
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KennethW » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:41 am

Report: started the heater on low at 9:00 battery 12.6v or 95%. Stop at 6:30 with the battery at 12.4 or 80%. Here's a picture of the heater, composting toilet, battery box. A plastic panel goes between the heater and the toilet. With a small computer fan to vent the battery and toilet.ImageImageImage

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:53 pm

tony.latham wrote:I’m planning on installing a Propex heater in my next build. Sit down and take a breath.

$700.

T

$700 was tough to shell out, but my wife is very cold blooded. I think it will get used a lot.

Todd

KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:00 pm

KTM_Guy wrote:
tony.latham wrote:I’m planning on installing a Propex heater in my next build. Sit down and take a breath.

$700.

T

$700 was tough to shell out, but my wife is very cold blooded. I think it will get used a lot.

Todd

Purty. How much was shipping?

Have you installed it yet? :pictures:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:41 pm

tony.latham wrote:
KTM_Guy wrote:

$700.

T

Todd

Purty. How much was shipping?

Have you installed it yet? :pictures:

T

I haven't installed it yet, this latest injury has had me laid up. I got a few hours in the other day so I'm hoping to get back at it next week.

I think shipping was around $20, I don't remember I think I try to tune so of that out. :lol: I ordered it from the US distributor, not from over the pond.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:10 pm

I ordered it from the US distributor, not from over the pond.

Westy, I assume. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to General Discussion