Define "Self Contained"

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Define "Self Contained"

Postby Dahlia47 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:15 pm

Ok, so obviously I am very new to the tiny travel trailer world. I have had mine 6 months, still need to name her. Now that the weather has finally dried out, I will be taking her out maybe once a month. I'm outdoorsy!
Anyways...I have called a couple places to set a couple dates, seems that self contained can mean different things. Such as a/c. Some will allow window units, some wont. Some have electric and water hook ups, some don't. I haven't had to ask about grey water, but I imagine at some point I'm going to ask and wonder if if it matters if its a professional set up or if a self made set up matters. Same for a potty. Is a compact store bought potty such as a composting toilet, or a luggable loo, or a self made composting toilet ok. Inside potty or outside potty?
When it comes to electricity, do they prefer solar, gas generator, or hooked up to their electric.
To me...self contained leaves a lot of unanswered questions. Maybe I just over think it! LOL!

I am looking at paint. Right now, it is a flat outdoor paint. I would like a paint that will protect, last a long while, and easy to clean.

Also, how do you keep the wood panels from rotting? We had to replace some of the wood when we bought her. I would like to prevent the rot.

Thoughts?
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Re: Define "Self Contained"

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:57 pm

Generally "self contained" in the RV world means having on-board electrical and water supply, and on board gray and black water tanks. I.e., meaning you require no external hookup or supply to operate. Few teardrops are self contained because they are usually too small to have toilets and holding tanks. Note I said "usually"

<Chas>

:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby edgeau » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:29 pm

Dahlia47 wrote:
Also, how do you keep the wood panels from rotting? We had to replace some of the wood when we bought her. I would like to prevent the rot.

Thoughts?

Rot can be prevented with lots of good UV stabilized varnish. For a "woodie" where you still want to see the grain there is what is known on this site as "the mix". Essentially lots of coats starting with very dilute so it soaks in to the wood a long way and working up to full strength. You mentioned paint though, but I think the same principle would apply with paint. You also need to recoat if any of the finish is damaged.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:10 pm

Where was this rot and what was the wood? Plywood, boards or OSB?

Got a photo? To really answer this, it'd be good to know how the water got in.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dahlia47 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:54 pm

It is plywood. I have been trying to post some pics, but it says the file is invalid??? I put up a post, hopefully someone can help me with that?

Someone answered that post, ill check it out.
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby Cathy P. » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:29 pm

In the RV world since the 1980s, "self-contained" does mean total onboard facilities (toilet/shower in particular, but grey and black tanks also, etc). Now that doesn't mean that you can't ask if what you have might be considered for a site in the RV Park if making a reservation, but I wouldn't just stop in expecting an exception. Most RV parks aren't really..............well, not a first choice for us anyway. I would look at what public campgrounds have to offer.
Cathy P.
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion