Stargazer Window Leak-Caulk???

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Stargazer Window Leak-Caulk???

Postby Minics04 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:23 am

Atomic77 wrote:Well, I have now lost track on how many times and which windows I've done what on. It's crazy that I've had so much trouble on both. As of late, we camped through the weekend with two storms rolling through, with no leaks. I am convinced it has to do with the expansion rates of dissimilar materials, combined with the twisting and flexing associated with expansion and contraction of the coach itself. These windows are not constructed to take the movement. For now, we are dry...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Fingers crossed for you!! Mine is dry also,....for now.
Minics04
Teardrop Builder

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:26 pm

Well, here we go again. After several storms with no leaks, the top window is leaking again. Right on that stupid seam. Right where it originally started leaking. I've done it all and done it again. These are the biggest pieces of $h!t ever. I can't begin to say how frustrating this is. And right above the bed. Total crap.

Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby nicoleandkyle » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:56 pm

Atomic77 wrote:Well, here we go again. After several storms with no leaks, the top window is leaking again. Right on that stupid seam. Right where it originally started leaking. I've done it all and done it again. These are the biggest pieces of $h!t ever. I can't begin to say how frustrating this is. And right above the bed. Total crap.

Ugh I'm so sorry to hear about your continuous troubles with these but I'm very grateful you posted all this before I made a big mistake!

nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:58 pm

nicoleandkyle wrote:
Atomic77 wrote:Well, here we go again. After several storms with no leaks, the top window is leaking again. Right on that stupid seam. Right where it originally started leaking. I've done it all and done it again. These are the biggest pieces of $h!t ever. I can't begin to say how frustrating this is. And right above the bed. Total crap.

Ugh I'm so sorry to hear about your continuous troubles with these but I'm very grateful you posted all this before I made a big mistake!

Well, that's why we're here.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Aguyfromohio » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:15 pm

Micheal is there any hope of fully resealing the exterior of the window with a good finish that would match your beautiful build?
If you could apply a sealant covering the gasket 100%, bonded an 1/8 inch on the glass, across the leaky old surround, and over to bond onto your skin, it would probably hold water out. Mask the window and the skin just a bit back from the leaky gasket to get a neat edge. That is to say, treat the existing seal as if it were fully pourous and only a mechanical mount for the glass and seal completely over it? Getting a good appearance would be tough but not impossible, perhaps a separate fabricated appearance trim could go over the new sealant to make it pretty. Or perhaps a sprayed-on topcoat that is uniform over the new sealant. Just thinking out loud sir....
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:34 pm

Aguyfromohio wrote:Micheal is there any hope of fully resealing the exterior of the window with a good finish that would match your beautiful build?
If you could apply a sealant covering the gasket 100%, bonded an 1/8 inch on the glass, across the leaky old surround, and over to bond onto your skin, it would probably hold water out. Mask the window and the skin just a bit back from the leaky gasket to get a neat edge. That is to say, treat the existing seal as if it were fully pourous and only a mechanical mount for the glass and seal completely over it? Getting a good appearance would be tough but not impossible, perhaps a separate fabricated appearance trim could go over the new sealant to make it pretty. Or perhaps a sprayed-on topcoat that is uniform over the new sealant. Just thinking out loud sir....
I actually tried something similar early in the "fixing" process where I masked off the seal and trim and sprayed the entire thing (except the glass) with Flex Seal. It wasn't real pretty, but it worked. For about 6 months. That's what happens everytime I try something new. It will last for a few weeks or months then starts to leak again. It's beyond ridiculous.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion