Stargazer Window Leak-Caulk???

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Stargazer Window Leak-Caulk???

Postby Atomic77 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:06 pm

mbergen wrote:Following this thread as I’m dealing with the same issue. I now wish I’d never done the stargazer window.
If I could yank them out I would have done it already. Problem is, I have two very specific shaped holes in my camper now...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mbergen » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:38 pm

If I could yank them out I would have done it already. Problem is, I have two very specific shaped holes in my camper now...

I could fill in mine but it would be a pain. I used pine paneling on the outside so I could make it match but I'm trying to fix the window before I take it to that extreme.

I've taken out the rubber stripping and contemplating my next step - getting advice on another facebook group I'm in and reading about what other's have tried, which is how I came upon this post
Attachments
window leaks.jpg
window leaks.jpg (58.94 KiB) Viewed 2365 times
Last edited by mbergen on Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbergen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Atomic77 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:46 pm

Good luck.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Minics04 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:16 am

Had rain last night. NO Leaks!

I think removing the paint/powder coat where the window seals really helped to adhere the glass to the frame. The window just feels very solid in the frame. I think the silicone had something to bite into.

Time will tell......
Last edited by Minics04 on Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minics04
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Minics04 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:23 am

mbergen wrote:

I could fill in mine but it would be a pain. I used pine paneling on the outside so I could make it match but I'm trying to fix the window before I take it to that extreme.

I've taken out the rubber stripping and contemplating my next step - getting advice on another facebook group I'm in and reading about what other's have tried, which is how I came upon this post

mbergen,
I would try to remove the glass and re-seal before you remove the entire window. I was instructed to use silicone, which I did-black in color to blend in, but you could use 3m 4200 also. I would highly recommend to remove the paint/ powder coat on the frame where the groves are before applying your sealant of choice. I think these windows can be saved.

Just my 2 cents.
Minics04
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dhbret » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:47 am

This stargazer window that is being a problem, which specific window is it? I'd like to avoid the hassle you are all having.
Thanks Bret
dhbret
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:17 am

dhbret wrote:This stargazer window that is being a problem, which specific window is it? I'd like to avoid the hassle you are all having.
Thanks Bret
A quick Google and you'll find about 5 years worth of posts on this leaky window.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mbergen » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:23 pm

dhbret wrote:This stargazer window that is being a problem, which specific window is it? I'd like to avoid the hassle you are all having.
Thanks Bret

I bought mine at vintage technologies. I did not think I see it on there website anymore. All other doors and parts I purchased from them have been fine.
mbergen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dhbret » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:30 pm

Thank you for your response. I always try to use the search function before asking annoying questions and never could find a definitive answer as to the exact window. I guess that there were enough complaint that they pulled that window from stock. So again, thanks for the answer. I hope that someone will produce a good quality window that stands up to the weather demands a teardrop encounters.
Bret
dhbret
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:31 pm

mbergen wrote:
Thanks Bret

I bought mine at vintage technologies. I did not think I see it on there website anymore. All other doors and parts I purchased from them have been fine.
I too have bought stuff from Frank at VT and have no complaints at all. In fact, he seems to be a great guy and his shop and facilities are awesome. But the Stargazer is made elsewhere and is something else all together. Like I said, Google it. They seem to leak regardless of who is installing it.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mbergen » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:25 am

I don’t see any stargazer windows for sale anymore on the internet. Maybe I’m just not finding them or maybe they were too much trouble and no one is selling them anymore. I wanted to be clear that I’m not trying to be negative about vintage technologies. I bought a lot of great parts from them and they are a great source.

There is a thread while back of someone who built a window from acrylic. If I cannot stop the leaks on mine I think I’ll probably try that vs covering up the openings. At least that way it can only leak from the edge or screw holes and it should be clear what needs to be sealed.
mbergen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tomterrific » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:04 am

Pardon if I've come late to this party. What I gather is the window glass loses it's seal to the frame. I am thinking the way the frame is held to the camper roof tends to warp the aluminum and the glass is very rigid. The seal between the glass and frame will slowly give way over time. I have no solution except perhaps only gently tightening the hold down screws so the frame does not warp. Use a soft caulk as a seal between the frame and roof so not much pressure is required for that seal. Something to think about.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby mbergen » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:27 am

Tt,

That is what I was thinking - if they are tested at the factory - they do fine maybe. Then I've come along and attached mine to a slightly curved shape on the roof (different than a door in a wall), possibly and it gets warped as you say. While it would be more convenient to seal the window to the frame while off the camper, I'm thinking it's best to have it attached first, so the frame is in the shape it will be while the window is attached. I figure, it's possible that some of the sealant came loose when it was attached to the teardrop even if it was fine when installed.
mbergen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby fishboat » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:13 pm

I wish I could see one of these windows. I've searched the web and haven't found any close-ups that are useful. I have to believe the window is rebuildable-sealable with 3M 5200(black). 5200 will stick to anything and take a few days to a week+ to cure up(forever). You can put a nice surface/control the bead laid-down bead by dipping your (glove covered) finger in toluene or xylenes as 5200 won't stick to it. %200 will still cure up fine..not affected by toluene or xylenes(also sold as xylol).

Again..I haven't seen one up close, but I'd strip any seals out of it and keep just the frame and glass. Everything else(seals) would be replaced/rebedded with 5200. You may have to seal up some edges with tape/tinfoil to keep the 5200 from flowing out, but it can be removed after the 5200 is set up.

Practice with managing 5200(applying it, removing it, forming it with xylenes, containing it with tape/tinfoil..) before you dive it..it can be messy if you're not prepared to handle it.

Whatever you do..don't use silicone first..just makes things tougher.
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:43 pm

fishboat wrote:I wish I could see one of these windows. I've searched the web and haven't found any close-ups that are useful. I have to believe the window is rebuildable-sealable with 3M 5200(black). 5200 will stick to anything and take a few days to a week+ to cure up(forever). You can put a nice surface/control the bead laid-down bead by dipping your (glove covered) finger in toluene or xylenes as 5200 won't stick to it. %200 will still cure up fine..not affected by toluene or xylenes(also sold as xylol).

Again..I haven't seen one up close, but I'd strip any seals out of it and keep just the frame and glass. Everything else(seals) would be replaced/rebedded with 5200. You may have to seal up some edges with tape/tinfoil to keep the 5200 from flowing out, but it can be removed after the 5200 is set up.

Practice with managing 5200(applying it, removing it, forming it with xylenes, containing it with tape/tinfoil..) before you dive it..it can be messy if you're not prepared to handle it.

Whatever you do..don't use silicone first..just makes things tougher.
This last round was 5200. I've used it a lot on our race boats. I seriously thought I nailed it this time. Went 2 months through a bunch of storms without a leak! Then the other morning I came out to a wet spot on the corner of the bed. Big waste of time and money.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion