Stargazer Window Leak-Caulk???

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Stargazer Window Leak-Caulk???

Postby Minics04 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:53 pm

Ok experts, I need help.

My Stargazer window is leaking. It leaks where the glass in held into the frame of the window. The window is held in with silicone. Looks like whoever assembled it, missed a 2" section with the silicone. The window is on the top of my teardrop and I was always told NOT to use silicone on the top.

I am going to take the window out and re-seal it to solve the leaking. (Yes, I already tried to caulk it with Proflex but it will not stick to the silicone-that's why I'm taking it out to do it correctly)

Any recommendations on what to seal the window with?? I have Proflex RV sealant on hand. I was also thinking about 3M Window Weld-the stuff they hold your windshield in with.

Let me know what you think would work the best or suggest what would be best.

Need to get the leak fixed before spring hits

Thanks!!
Attachments
Wallpaper.jpg
Wallpaper.jpg (879.18 KiB) Viewed 5520 times
Minics04
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Stargazer Window Leak-Caulk???

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:18 pm

Same exact thing happened to me. And the sad thing is I have two and they both leaked! My first thought was that I must have done something wrong on the installation. Upon closer inspection, I discovered not one but both the windows were leaking where the glass sits in the frame! I attempted a couple simple fixes with varied results. I actually called the vendor and my calls were ignored. So I disassembled both of them and glued the glass back in with Flex Seal. I used the black sealant in the caulking tube and I used all of it. That was in April '18. So far all is well. I have also, in the past, used a black window sealant from Fastenal which worked very well but the price per tube is pretty high. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Minics04 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:49 am

Great Info!! Thanks!!

I too attempted several small fixes without success.This weekend I will be removing the window and re-sealing.

I did not think about flex seal. Could be an option!
Minics04
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Minics04 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:35 am

FOLLOW UP:

I wasn't sure who made these windows but I tried contacting Challanger Door. I emailed them last night and got a reply very early this morning. I was impressed.

They stated they did not make the window but suggested using Silicone adhesive for this application. This is what they use on their doors and windows.

FYI
Minics04
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Atomic77 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:25 am

I had been using Fastenal's (Locktite) 5900 black sealant for a long time, whenever we sealed the windows in our race boats. By far I would say it's as good as you can get. But at $62 per tube? I was spending someone else's money then. A friend who restores Scotties told me about the Flex Seal. I saw another person on a FB forum who had a leaking Stargazer. He too used Flex Seal. He didn't want to remove the window for fear of causing further issues. So he removed the black rubber strip all the way around the window and filled it with black Flex Seal. Looked pretty nice in the photos and he says he's going on 20 months if I remember right and no leaks. If you get the black in the flex shot it's very reasonable and my results have been great. She has survived torrential downpours and 60 mph wind gusts!

$62.00

$14.00
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby fishboat » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:33 pm

3M sealants are another option. They are moisture-cure urethanes and used primarily in the boating industry. 4000 & 4200 are bedding-like sealants where removal is (more) possible. The 5200 is more of a one-way trip..permanent seal/adhesive.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/u ... ?docId=510
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:51 pm

If you are going to remove the window, just remove all the old sealents and apply butyl tape between the back of the window and the trailer body. Screw down enough that putty squeezes out around the edges. Done. Probably forever.

If you don't have time to do it right, you don't have time to do it over, and over, .....

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Minics04 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:39 pm

fishboat-I had considered 3M sealant. Thanks!!

I went with GE 100% Black Silicone sealant.

I used WD-40 to loosen and remove the old sealant. Then cleaned the glass and window channel with rubbing alcohol. Ran a bead, plopped in the window, and now it has to set for 24 hours to fully cure. I will trim any excess sealant, replace the window gasket, and complete a leak check on Saturday.

Looking at the window after install, it appears I have excellent coverage to seal the window.

Stay tuned....
Attachments
Silicone-640x480.jpg
Silicone-640x480.jpg (51.4 KiB) Viewed 5350 times
20190116_115821-640x480.jpg
20190116_115821-640x480.jpg (33.88 KiB) Viewed 5350 times
Minics04
Teardrop Advisor

Postby fishboat » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:06 pm

It'll be fine..for a while. Silicone itself has a moderate failure rate. Keep an eye on it.
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Postby Minics04 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:26 am

Thanks Fishboat!

I will keep an eye on it. I went with silicone based on Challanger Door's recommendation. It won't be fully exposed to the elements because there is a rubber window (glazing) strip that is installed over the silicone sealant.

Hope I'm leak free now. I will check on Saturday and report back after a water test.

p.s. If anyone has to remove silicone use WD40. Wow! I was impressed at how good it worked. Spray on, let sit for 15 minutes and clean up works great!

UPDATE!!

Tested the window today. Leak free. Silicone seems to be the fix!!
Thanks everyone for your help and input!!
Minics04
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:13 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:If you are going to remove the window, just remove all the old sealents and apply butyl tape between the back of the window and the trailer body. Screw down enough that putty squeezes out around the edges. Done. Probably forever.

If you don't have time to do it right, you don't have time to do it over, and over, .....

<Chas>

:beer:

Not sure what the answer is really...
A good friend works in Elkhart IN at one of the bigger RV manufacturers. He has a very low opinion of butyl tape. He tells me, off the record of course, they expect butyl to last 5 years or less. They want to sell new units so longevity isn't a priority. Regardless, the Stargaizer windows have a design flaw that has nothing to do with the seal between the window frame and camper shell. It is where the glass is glued/bonded into the frame. And so far most of the ones I've see are leaking in the exact same spot.
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:21 pm

My personal feeling is that RV caulk is designed to fail, certainly I am paying that price to rebuild Compass Rose. CR was tested for leaks using a positive pressure (Big Fan fitting over the vent) and the outside sprayed with a soap solution, it bubbled, a lot.
I was trying Lexel® by Sashco which has some different properties.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Minics04 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:17 am

So far the silicone sealant seems to be working well and I am happy with the results.

Failure...I am not to worried about the silicone failing. Why, you ask? The silicone holds the window in and then there is a rubber gasket or trim piece that installs over the glass. It keeps the silicone out of direct sunlight and keeps a little of the weather out. The gasket/trim piece is not tight fitting or waterproof. It does keep some water and wind blown debris from getting to the silicone seal. Over time, maybe the heat will get to the silicone???? My window is install on the roof in direct sunlight.

Just have to keep an eye on it, like any of the other caulking.

Stay tuned.
Minics04
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DWT77 » Fri May 10, 2019 6:34 pm

Minics04 wrote:fishboat-I had considered 3M sealant. Thanks!!

I went with GE 100% Black Silicone sealant.

I used WD-40 to loosen and remove the old sealant. Then cleaned the glass and window channel with rubbing alcohol. Ran a bead, plopped in the window, and now it has to set for 24 hours to fully cure. I will trim any excess sealant, replace the window gasket, and complete a leak check on Saturday.

Looking at the window after install, it appears I have excellent coverage to seal the window.

Stay tuned....

I am having the same problem with leaking around the window and not the outside edge of the frame.

How did you pop the window out with the frame still in place? Did you spray the WD-40 up under the seal and then take a screw driver to loosen up the seal/bead of old sealant?

I pushed on the inside of the window but it felt pretty solid. I haven't applied any WD-40 yet though. Figured I would ask before I go to far lol
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby Minics04 » Sun May 12, 2019 11:38 am

Short answer-YES!

I removed the window from the frame. I sprayed the wd-40 around the glass edge on both the outside and inside of the frame, let it sit, then slowly worked the sealant loose with a screwdriver, thin putty knife, and razor blade. I worked from both side outside and inside. A razor blade got into the sealant on the inside between the glass and frame very well. If I felt resistant,I sprayed more wd-40 as I went. Sometimes, spraying and waiting for it to loosen the sealant. I worked the glass very slowly to not destroy the glass. Take your time, It's a mess. The window came out much easier than I thought it would.

I spent a lot of time and effort to make sure the window from was free of wd-40 and old sealant. Using a plastic putty knife to scrape the old sealant away as to not scratch the window frame. Lots of paper toweling. Cleaning with rubbing alcohol.

I applied a GOOD bead of black silicon sealant. It filled up the gap and channel between the window glass and frame on the outside of the frame. I was not to concerned with the sealant swishing out of the frame on the interior of the frame. I let the sealant set up then trimmed the excess with a razor blade. The black sealant blends in very nice.

Hope this helps! Take your time and you will get it.

Good Luck!
Minics04
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to General Discussion