Stargazer Window Leak-Caulk???

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Stargazer Window Leak-Caulk???

Postby Atomic77 » Sun May 12, 2019 12:27 pm

Those windows are absolute junk. I have had nothing but trouble and unfortunately I have two. After a load of work, they are no longer leaking. For now...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby DWT77 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:54 am

Minics04 wrote:Short answer-YES!

I removed the window from the frame. I sprayed the wd-40 around the glass edge on both the outside and inside of the frame, let it sit, then slowly worked the sealant loose with a screwdriver, thin putty knife, and razor blade. I worked from both side outside and inside. A razor blade got into the sealant on the inside between the glass and frame very well. If I felt resistant,I sprayed more wd-40 as I went. Sometimes, spraying and waiting for it to loosen the sealant. I worked the glass very slowly to not destroy the glass. Take your time, It's a mess. The window came out much easier than I thought it would.

I spent a lot of time and effort to make sure the window from was free of wd-40 and old sealant. Using a plastic putty knife to scrape the old sealant away as to not scratch the window frame. Lots of paper toweling. Cleaning with rubbing alcohol.

I applied a GOOD bead of black silicon sealant. It filled up the gap and channel between the window glass and frame on the outside of the frame. I was not to concerned with the sealant swishing out of the frame on the interior of the frame. I let the sealant set up then trimmed the excess with a razor blade. The black sealant blends in very nice.

Hope this helps! Take your time and you will get it.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info. I will give it a shot!
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby Minics04 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:04 am

Update: Leaking again!
Over the weekend we had pretty heavy rain. The window(I thought) was dry until I ran my finger around the inside trim and glass. Wet finger! Previously it was only leaking in one corner. Now , it was leaking around the whole frame.

The more I ran my finger around, the more water I felt. When I pressed against the glass, more water leaked. It was almost like the silicone was not adhering to the glass(so I thought).

Sunday I tore into it. The window pulled right out of the frame. I just pushed on one corner and continued to push around the entire window and it popped out. NO TOOLS Required. I was amazed! It was adhered to the window but not the frame. I don't know if maybe I the window frame was not clean enough or why the silicone did not adhere to the window frame. Upon inspection, some of the dried silicone felt greasy and other areas felt dry. I don't think I did a good enough job cleaning the frame after removing the old silicone in some areas. But....If you look at the pics, the silicone had a perfect imprint of the window frame. I'm thinking the silicone won't adhere to the paint or powder coat that is on the window frame.

I might regret this, but....I cleaned the frame. Then, I used some brake clean and a brass brush to remove the paint/Powder coat down to the bare aluminum in the window track. I'm hoping the silicone will bond better to the bare aluminum and groves in the window track.

I'll let it cure for a couple of days and report back.
Attachments
20190602_093035.jpg
20190602_093035.jpg (44.82 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
20190602_093030.jpg
20190602_093030.jpg (53.79 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
20190602_093018.jpg
20190602_093018.jpg (43.11 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
Minics04
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Minics04 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:04 am

More pics
Attachments
20190602_100733.jpg
20190602_100733.jpg (25.52 KiB) Viewed 2450 times
20190602_100729.jpg
20190602_100729.jpg (35.69 KiB) Viewed 2450 times
20190602_093040.jpg
20190602_093040.jpg (52.66 KiB) Viewed 2450 times
Minics04
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Minics04 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:43 pm

Leak Test-Passed!

The window seems very, firmly, in place. I think the silicone adhered better this time with the paint/powder coat removed from the window frame.

We have rain forecast for tomorrow. Should be the final test!
Attachments
20190603_112725.jpg
20190603_112725.jpg (41.74 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
Minics04
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:28 pm

After a ton of work and several months of success, I came out to a wet spot on the bed this morning. These windows are nothing but junk. So disappointing.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Minics04 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:18 pm

Do you know if it was leaking from the seal to the glass or from the seal to the frame?

I really feel it's the paint or powder coat used on the frame that keeps the sealant from adhering to the frame.
Minics04
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Sphinx » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:24 pm

I've got a stargazer from Vintage Technologies but haven't installed it yet. Anything I should watch out for? I was going to try calling them tomorrow before putting water on it (uninstalled) because I read on here some of these windows need the compression from the inner trim ring to seal?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Sphinx
Teardrop Inspector

Postby fishboat » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:58 pm

Folks here seem to go with silicone for caulking/sealing...silicone caulk is a lower performance material in the spectrum of sealants/caulks/adhesives. I think most may find better performance by learning from the boating industry and boat owners. A moisture-cure urethane(3M 4200 or 5200, Sikaflex..) or polysulfide(Boatlife) is a often-used bedding compound, sealant, adhesive, above or below the waterline with better results than silicone. Effectively removing silicone once it's been used can be a challenge though.
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:25 pm

Coming from a boat racing background, I've used a lot of different marine products. As stated above, 3M makes about the best I've experienced, 4200 if it may need to be removed later, 5200 if it's a done deal. Those on here that know me, know that I'm not typically a product basher. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong but to my knowledge the only product I've ever been adamantly disgusted with is these stupid windows. There is something about them that is designed absolutely wrong. Yes, they need compression from the ring to seal, but oooops too much and they will leak. Not enough and they will leak. Use the most expensive sealant known to man and they leak. And again, it's not the seal between the frame and the coach. It's in the construction of the frame and glass. Over the past two years, taking the stupid things apart, sealing, re-sealing, going for months thinking I'm good, then... Leaking. Again. And maybe they made a bad batch, but I personally know others with the same problem and I have two. Both leaked, have leaked or are currently leaking. Here's my advice. Go with a different window.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby fishboat » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:40 pm

Atomic77 wrote:Coming from a boat racing background, I've used a lot of different marine products. As stated above, 3M makes about the best I've experienced, 4200 if it may need to be removed later, 5200 if it's a done deal. Those on here that know me, know that I'm not typically a product basher. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong but to my knowledge the only product I've ever been adamantly disgusted with is these stupid windows. There is something about them that is designed absolutely wrong. Yes, they need compression from the ring to seal, but oooops too much and they will leak. Not enough and they will leak. Use the most expensive sealant known to man and they leak. And again, it's not the seal between the frame and the coach. It's in the construction of the frame and glass. Over the past two years, taking the stupid things apart, sealing, re-sealing, going for months thinking I'm good, then... Leaking. Again. And maybe they made a bad batch, but I personally know others with the same problem and I have two. Both leaked, have leaked or are currently leaking. Here's my advice. Go with a different window.

Bummer..sounds like a terrible design. I googled stargazer windows and nothing much comes up(can't see how they're assembled).

Maybe re-engineer them? Keep the frame and window and dump everything else..rebuild them with 5200.. You can "mold" a nice, smooth surface-edge in 4200/5200 by wetting a (gloved) finger with xylenes. It'll still cure up fine.
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:04 pm

fishboat wrote:
Atomic77 wrote:Coming from a boat racing background, I've used a lot of different marine products. As stated above, 3M makes about the best I've experienced, 4200 if it may need to be removed later, 5200 if it's a done deal. Those on here that know me, know that I'm not typically a product basher. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong but to my knowledge the only product I've ever been adamantly disgusted with is these stupid windows. There is something about them that is designed absolutely wrong. Yes, they need compression from the ring to seal, but oooops too much and they will leak. Not enough and they will leak. Use the most expensive sealant known to man and they leak. And again, it's not the seal between the frame and the coach. It's in the construction of the frame and glass. Over the past two years, taking the stupid things apart, sealing, re-sealing, going for months thinking I'm good, then... Leaking. Again. And maybe they made a bad batch, but I personally know others with the same problem and I have two. Both leaked, have leaked or are currently leaking. Here's my advice. Go with a different window.

Bummer..sounds like a terrible design. I googled stargazer windows and nothing much comes up(can't see how they're assembled).

Maybe re-engineer them? Keep the frame and window and dump everything else..rebuild them with 5200.. You can "mold" a nice, smooth surface-edge in 4200/5200 by wetting a (gloved) finger with xylenes. It'll still cure up fine.
Pretty much way ahead of you on that. But thanks anyway

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Minics04 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:37 am

I agree with using good sealants. I used ProFlex RV sealant to seal the frame to the coach(Very happy with this). I used 100% Silicone from the window to the frame based on a manufacturer's recommendation. If it still leaks or starts to again, I will use 3M 4200.

The problem is between the glass and the frame not the frame to the coach.

The glass just gets adhered into the frame with sealant. Nothing to hold the window to the frame except the sealant and a rubber trim gasket on top of the glass.

In my latest fix, I though about leaving the rubber trim gasket off and instead sealing the topside of the window with sealant also. I have not done this but might in the future.

Yes, the windows are junk. I might look into tearing it out and designing some kind of replacement. Maybe a double pane Polycarbonate window arrangement.
Minics04
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Minics04 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:51 am

Sphinx

I would remove the rubber trim gasket/seal on the outer side of the window and carefully inspect the sealant between the window glass and frame before installing it. The gasket/seal comes out easy. Mine was missing about a 1" section of sealant in one of the corners. I used a flashlight to get a good look at the sealant. Must have been made on a Friday.

I also read about these windows leaking. I did a water test before I installed mine. I did not have leaks but I think that rubber gasket/seal kept the water out during my test. I did not let the water sit very long. I would remove that rubber gasket/seal and then fill the window with water. Let it sit for awhile. Then let it sit longer. Hour or more. Then check for leaks. Good Luck but I bet yours will leak.
Minics04
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mbergen » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:49 pm

Following this thread as I’m dealing with the same issue. I now wish I’d never done the stargazer window.
mbergen
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion