Stargazer Window Leak-Caulk???

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Stargazer Window Leak-Caulk???

Postby Minics04 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:23 am

Atomic77 wrote:Well, I have now lost track on how many times and which windows I've done what on. It's crazy that I've had so much trouble on both. As of late, we camped through the weekend with two storms rolling through, with no leaks. I am convinced it has to do with the expansion rates of dissimilar materials, combined with the twisting and flexing associated with expansion and contraction of the coach itself. These windows are not constructed to take the movement. For now, we are dry...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Fingers crossed for you!! Mine is dry also,....for now.
Minics04
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:26 pm

Well, here we go again. After several storms with no leaks, the top window is leaking again. Right on that stupid seam. Right where it originally started leaking. I've done it all and done it again. These are the biggest pieces of $h!t ever. I can't begin to say how frustrating this is. And right above the bed. Total crap.

Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby nicoleandkyle » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:56 pm

Atomic77 wrote:Well, here we go again. After several storms with no leaks, the top window is leaking again. Right on that stupid seam. Right where it originally started leaking. I've done it all and done it again. These are the biggest pieces of $h!t ever. I can't begin to say how frustrating this is. And right above the bed. Total crap.

Ugh I'm so sorry to hear about your continuous troubles with these but I'm very grateful you posted all this before I made a big mistake!

nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:58 pm

nicoleandkyle wrote:
Atomic77 wrote:Well, here we go again. After several storms with no leaks, the top window is leaking again. Right on that stupid seam. Right where it originally started leaking. I've done it all and done it again. These are the biggest pieces of $h!t ever. I can't begin to say how frustrating this is. And right above the bed. Total crap.

Ugh I'm so sorry to hear about your continuous troubles with these but I'm very grateful you posted all this before I made a big mistake!

Well, that's why we're here.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Aguyfromohio » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:15 pm

Micheal is there any hope of fully resealing the exterior of the window with a good finish that would match your beautiful build?
If you could apply a sealant covering the gasket 100%, bonded an 1/8 inch on the glass, across the leaky old surround, and over to bond onto your skin, it would probably hold water out. Mask the window and the skin just a bit back from the leaky gasket to get a neat edge. That is to say, treat the existing seal as if it were fully pourous and only a mechanical mount for the glass and seal completely over it? Getting a good appearance would be tough but not impossible, perhaps a separate fabricated appearance trim could go over the new sealant to make it pretty. Or perhaps a sprayed-on topcoat that is uniform over the new sealant. Just thinking out loud sir....
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:34 pm

Aguyfromohio wrote:Micheal is there any hope of fully resealing the exterior of the window with a good finish that would match your beautiful build?
If you could apply a sealant covering the gasket 100%, bonded an 1/8 inch on the glass, across the leaky old surround, and over to bond onto your skin, it would probably hold water out. Mask the window and the skin just a bit back from the leaky gasket to get a neat edge. That is to say, treat the existing seal as if it were fully pourous and only a mechanical mount for the glass and seal completely over it? Getting a good appearance would be tough but not impossible, perhaps a separate fabricated appearance trim could go over the new sealant to make it pretty. Or perhaps a sprayed-on topcoat that is uniform over the new sealant. Just thinking out loud sir....
I actually tried something similar early in the "fixing" process where I masked off the seal and trim and sprayed the entire thing (except the glass) with Flex Seal. It wasn't real pretty, but it worked. For about 6 months. That's what happens everytime I try something new. It will last for a few weeks or months then starts to leak again. It's beyond ridiculous.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby chelle3271 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:58 pm

I know I'm a year late to this discussion, but I just bought four old windows from a guy who tore his camper apart. Two of the windows I purchased look like the ones you're having trouble with.

All four windows were in need of a complete rehab, so I've just finished cleaning all the goop off, and decided to remove the glass from all of them with the intention of resealing them. I purchased Lexel, since it is more elastic than silicone. Any thoughts? I'm hesitant to put any more time or effort into them if they are going to be a pain, but I really like the idea of putting one of these on the front of my build and another on the ceiling.

Any thoughts as to whether or not I should go forward? Has anyone else tried Lexel?
Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can. ~Arthur Ashe
chelle3271
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:23 am

Two of the windows I purchased look like the ones you're having trouble with.

I use Lexel and find it a great sealant but I don't ever use it where the sun will hit because there is no mention from Lexel about UV resistance.

I considered putting in a moon gazer window on this last build. But the risk of having a leaky roof was enough to avoid that rocky road.

If Micahel can't fix these windows, I'm sure I couldn't either. :thumbdown:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Minics04 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:30 am

Ok, I don't want to "Jinks" myself, but after my repair my window has been leak free!

Just to re-cap:
1. I removed the paint from the window frame
2. Ran a bead of 100% silicon caulk
3. Reinstalled the window
4. Reinstalled the rubber trim

I think the Rubber trim piece is keeping the sun from beating down on the sealant and (I hope) is keeping it leak free.

Good luck! Make sure everything is very clean before re-sealing!!!

JC
Minics04
Teardrop Advisor

Postby fliflicker » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:28 am

Where did you purchase your Windows? Are they the frameless ones sold by vintage tecnologies?
I just bought one but haven't started cutting the hole yet...
fliflicker
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Minics04 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:57 am

Yes, I bought mine from Vin Tech in 2016

Not sure about the frameless question. I see on Vin Tech's website it looks like they are now different windows. Not sure????
Minics04
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Bezoar » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:11 pm

Unfortunately, I bought this window before I saw this post.

https://factoryrvsurplus.com/products/t ... 902&_ss=r/

I was planning to install this on a 45 degree slanting upward wall, but obviously will skip if if likely to cause problems.

Any manufacturer name or model number on the ones that have had problems?
Bezoar
Teardrop Master

Postby Minics04 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:00 am

I don't have a model number on mine.

Vintech has a new window(Frameless), but I don't know about it.

My 2 cents:
1. Since my repair, I have not had any leaks(Knock on wood).
2. If I did build again, I would not install this window for a couple of reasons. The biggest one being, I installed on the roof to see the stars at night, in cooler weather the insulating factor of this single pane window is terrible. Most of the time I have it covered up with reflectix insulation. During the day, It has to be covered or the camper becomes on oven.

I love the light it brings in, but just too many downsides with this window and seems there is always a reason to keep it covered up.

Good Luck!!
Minics04
Teardrop Advisor

Postby nbcarey » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:53 pm

fishboat wrote:3M sealants are another option. They are moisture-cure urethanes and used primarily in the boating industry. 4000 & 4200 are bedding-like sealants where removal is (more) possible. The 5200 is more of a one-way trip..permanent seal/adhesive.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/u ... ?docId=510
Don't use 5200. It is an adhesive (think glue) that is about as strong as epoxy. Anything assembled with it will never come apart again, at least not without destroying things in the process.

Sika makes several bedding systems under the name Sikaflex, suitable for glazing, both automotive and marine: https://usa.sika.com/en/industry/produc ... aflex.html

So does BoatLife: https://www.boatlife.com

https://www.boatlife.com/wp-content/upl ... -Chart.pdf

Suitable 3M products, Sika products, and BoatLife products should be available at a chandlery near you.

This is our local chandlery in Seattle: https://www.fisheriessupply.com/mainten ... d-sealants

Sika has a great deal of technical literature on how to do the job right: https://usa.sika.com/en/industry/downlo ... ature.html

And so does 3M. But they make so much stuff that finding the info you need on their website can be ... daunting. I would contact 3M and your local sales or technical rep, as they can best advise you on what you need.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/help-center/

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/ ... y-industry
nbcarey
Teardrop Builder

Postby western traveler » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:38 am

I used cases of Sikaflex in various formulas 240, 241, 291 and 5200 but it was years ago. 5200 was always viewed as permanent and certainly was my experience.
I did hear of a product at our marine exchange that was claimed to be formulated for 5200 removal. I never tried it but I think this is the stuff.
DeBond.

https://www.google.com/search?q=debond& ... e&ie=UTF-8
western traveler
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion