Tiny Camper Necessities!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Tiny Camper Necessities!

Postby Dahlia47 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:42 pm

Our campers are tiny! So we have limited space! What necessities do you have to pack into your tiny campers? Im thinking of everything from Sleeping bags, to Air conditioners.
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Re: Tiny Camper Necessities!

Postby friz » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:01 am

Something I can't go without.Image

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby edgeau » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:16 am

A Webber Q BBQ and a gas fridge. The better half insisted so the galley was designed around storing those two items for travel. The BBQ comes out for use.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby Tomterrific » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:45 am

We are barely a step above tent camping but our must haves are...

Electric blanket for cold weather camping. We use sleeping bags if no electricity.

Pop-up canopy for sitting outside in sun or rain. I got a screen for insects but it is a pain to install.

Directors chairs or other comfy chairs. I'm never going to use a back breaking bag chair again!

Camp tables. You need a flat surface for your beer. I used the base of those hated bag chairs for a break down table.

Pee jar for those late night urges. We will get a porta potty soon as my wife fell backwards into poison ivy last summer. We're old.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby Graniterich » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:23 am

friz wrote:Something I can't go without.Image

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
What is it?

Sent from my A1-840FHD using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby Homebrewer25 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:43 am

A bottle opener!! :beer: Friz is a fellow homebrewer.
It's 5 o'clock somewhere ... time for a :beer:

Steve
Foam Ranger Build (postponed by COVID - resuming spring 2021): http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70159
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Postby swoody126 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:42 pm

leave it to a HomeBrewer to think of that one ^ ^ ;-)

IMHO a TT or a TD is just a hard sided back packer's tent that is off the ground where folks can leave their air mattresses inflated during travel

many of them have a place in the back w/ easy access to covered/enclosed storage and that space is most often relegated to cooking equipment storage(frequently the kind of equipment back packers would never haul on their backs) and when that equipment is shuffled appropriately the space can be used for cooking

¿ necesseties ?

a DRY place for a bed that can be left made up during travel

a place to store my little cooking(water boiling) device/stove & french press

a place for making coffee

space to carry extra water

space for food stuffs and consumables(PT's & TP...)

a place for utensils

a place to store my small grill and cooking vessels(incl a DO or 3)

enuff room/space inside(dry) for my clothing and personal kit

some form of ventilation(natural or enhanced ± )

a spare tyre mounted outside

space for a jack & tyre tool

tongue jack w/ swivle wheel

locking/lockable hitch coupler

¿ handy ?

stab/leveling jacks

space for an extra ice chest

space for a comfortable chair

space for a small folding table

a shelf/cubby(inside) for reading material and mapage

a space for a 2-burner stove n fuel

a space for a crock pot a/o a small roaster oven and a 10ga extension cord w/ a plugable hole thru the bottom of the boot for the smaller end of the cord to pass thru

space for a folded fly w/ poles ropes n stakes

a space for a tool kit(separate from & more inclusive than the one in the Jeep)

just my personal take on the OP which is subject to alteration/change as THE PLAN evolves

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:29 pm

The easy thing is to just bring along Everything you Think you will need , and then you’ll know what to leave home the next time …
For a lot of people I don’t think you can bring too much ... :lol:
Remember , "if you stow it , you’ll have to Tow it “ ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Karen Clancy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:21 pm

We have scaled back alot from are maiden trip 2 years ago , we still bring 2 camping chairs , folding canopy, w/ screen walls in the summer . 2 burner stove or the camp chef oven electric blanket for cold weather , , folding table , small size yeti cooler for ice , & small electric cooler for food plus the usual stuff ,plates , utensils ,And it seems we always forget something
Karen Clancy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:10 pm

If you're used to tent camping, you'll need what you took for that. The tent is optional but can be used as a "living room" addition to your tiny trailer.

If you haven't tent camped, just pretend you're camping and go through one entire morning, noon, and night and list everything as you use it in your pretend trip. Then, go out and get all of it (except perishables) to leave in your trailer. ...makes it so much easier.

Next, make your maiden voyage an over-night trip somewhere close to home (maybe even in your driveway). That way, if you forgot anything, you know where and how to get it.

Also, take a notepad and pen or pencil so you can write down nice-to-have things that you think of while you're camping.

Other than that, make up a small tool kit to help you on the road and in camp, should a need arise. And, even if you have a butane lighter, toss a couple books of matches in the trailer to help you or your neighbor who might have run out or forgotten. (I have been asked for matches several times...seems like something people don't think of.)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:34 am

Sharon’s Right and you can ”test camp” right in your driveway … How easy is that …
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dahlia47 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:10 am

I spent most of my time growing up on a mountain with no electric, running water, or phone. We were always told to bring the basics....because if we stow it, we tow it!!! :D Even as kids we were responsible for our own crap! I also did the same to my own 2 children. I had them pack a back pack with just the basics. If they asked me to carry their back packs, I said "No".

So, here is what I do...

Tent Camping
tent
cooler
whatever food is in the fridge (milk, eggs, meat)
ice from the ice box (yes i am cheap)
Food from the pantry (noodles, peanut butter, bread, a few canned goods)
wood
matches
1 pair jeans
one coat
2 pair socks
1 Tank top
1 tshirt
2 pair underwear
1 long sleeve
back pack
water
sleeping bag
pillow
And cant forget the COFFEE!!! :D

Its the same for the camper. The only difference for the camper is a heater, a/c, and the port a potty I just bought.

Less is more!
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby KTM_Guy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:24 pm

We came from camping off a motorcycle. So two people on one motorcycle = limited space. We learned how little stuff your really need to take. We would cook breakfast and make lunch but diner we usually ate out or brought something back to camp. Now that we are starting to get our stuff together for the teardrop we are wondering what we are going to put in all the storage we now have.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby Hamilton Felix » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:59 pm

Ahh, yes, motorcycles. "Saddlebags won't hold everything you want, but they'll hold everything you need."

and

"Pack less Stuff, and more Money."
Life is too short not to be happy.
Hamilton Felix
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:36 pm

Member, swoody, mentioned a spare tire. You definitely will want that plus possibly a jack. Many times, your tow vehicle's jack won't work on the trailer; so check it out before you go. If your T.V. jack won't do the job, get a bottle jack. They're small and pretty inexpensive and you can get one at the local auto parts store. Take a couple wedges of wood (or manufactured tire wedges) to stick under each side of the wheel that doesn't get lifted so that the trailer won't roll and slide off the jack. You never know when you're going to be somewhere that doesn't have any kind of phone service and then you can't call for help to change a flat.

Also, if you have the small sized trailer tires (12 or 13 inches?), please remember to check the tread regularly. Those tires make more rotations per mile than the larger sizes; and thus, wear out more quickly.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to General Discussion