Wood pellets for camp fire.

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Wood pellets for camp fire.

Postby twisted lines » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:05 pm

When I get closer to finished with another crazy idea I came up with :? I plan to make a Rocket stove, and play with the none glue flavored versions :beer:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Hamilton Felix » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:55 pm

If you follow Slim Potatohead on YouTube, he's been playing with a tiny wood stove in his A-liner, burning pellets.

We heat at home with pellets and wood, in a wood heater (Lopi Endeavor). You need a pellet grate or basket to burn pellets well in a wood stove.

We've had a Bradley Burner for a while. I like it, but it is showing its age, and they seem to have gone out of business. You can make your own from angle iron, but mild steel does not last all that long under that kind of stress. I'm thinking of trying a Pelleteer.

A few pellets scattered atop the firewood certainly adds fuel. But a big pile of pellets will just smolder around the edges, unless you have a way of getting air into the pile.
Life is too short not to be happy.
Hamilton Felix
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KennethW » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:16 pm

That is the only thing I use. Start with a large stainless steel colander.(commercial). Put a bag of wood pellets in a storage tote. Pour a quart of cooking oil on the pellets(wood pellet need a little boost to burn good). Put about 3 quarts of soaked pellets in to the colander. A little lighter fluid(I use e85) and light. A large juice can with the top and bottom cut out as a chimney will give you a little more draft if needed.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Treeview » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:56 am

Cooking oil?

Nawwww...use bacon drippings! :R
Treeview
The 300 Club

Postby KennethW » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:49 pm

Then is better uses for bacon grease(home fries). I use cooking oil as it is safe to cook over.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby brianhebert66 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:34 am

slowcowboy wrote:So..anyone take a,sack of wood pellets with them camping to feed tbere campfire? I am currently doing this in my shop stove to get more heat and the woods ment for pellets furnance in your house. normaly the pellets are made out of good pine wood.and compressed. I shovel them on top of a bed of coals in my shop.. they seem to burn good and hot and put a lot of heat out. I just shovel them on top my fire wood...so,....anyone try taking a sack camping with them to feed a,camp fire...they come in 40 lb sacks. Easly portable..slow.

I've had some memorable experiences stopping at those fringe farm stands for wood. I like the local experience. You're definately not supposed to BYOW anymore. Those pellets are designed to be burned in an engineered stove. Don't know if they'd even burn in a campfire. We've backpacked in a couple of firestarter logs...at least once...probably with beer...good times. . They'd probably be a better option than pellets, though certainly not a "wilderness" experience.
brianhebert66
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion