Rigid Foam Bed Frame?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Rigid Foam Bed Frame?

Postby JamesDixonLR » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:56 am

I tried to search for a thread like this but couldn't find one. Anyone make a bed frame out of rigid foam? I can get 2" Foamular for $36 a sheet and that weighs 8 lbs. I figure 1/2" plywood or OSB would be the thinnest lumber I could use to make a frame. 1/2" OSB is half the price of the 2" foam but weighs about 5 times as much.
I'm thinking of a foam frame with a few interior foam supports topped by 1/4" plywood to support the mattress. The interior supports would also serve to create compartments for storage. Using 2" foam, i'm not sure if I would need to glue on window screening strengthen it or not.
If I go the lumber route, the interior supports could be replaced with slats but overall it would still weigh much more.
Thanks
Jim Dixon
Little Rock
JamesDixonLR
Teardrop Builder

Re: Rigid Foam Bed Frame?

Postby KennethW » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:52 pm

I used old bed angle for a frame light and strong with out supporters. And a rack made out of firing strips. Hope that helps. ImageImageImage

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Rigid Foam Bed Frame?

Postby Nodrog » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:17 pm

I'm sure something like that would work....the Big Pink has foam framing under the bed,even though the mattress support is 3/4 boards. My benches are supported by 2 1/2 - 3" foam, the seats are foam with 1/4 ply stringers on edge, topped with 1/8 ply. I'll try to insert a couple of pics.... Image and Image

Click the pics to enlarge. So, I'd say, don't be afraid, they are very strong...they are covered inside and out with pretty thin cotton cloth, glued on. Except for fronts have a layer of 1/8 ply. Total weight for 2 benches @ 42"long with tops is 25#, less than 1/2 weight of 1/2 ply- Nodrog
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion