Interior Finish

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Interior Finish

Postby greenchicken » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:37 pm

Tomorrow I should be ready to finish the interior.

All Baltic Birch Plywood.

I do not want it to be SHINY.

I am thinking of using some simple clear coat poly (satin finish)
greenchicken
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Interior Finish

Postby Aguyfromohio » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:15 pm

Your choice of clear coat poly, satin, is great. I like Minwax satin.
For the interior a couple light coats should be enough. Just enough protection to keep out greasy fingerprints and light moisture. I would buy a couple rattle cans and spray it, easier to cover large panels and easier to get a consistent thin, light coat. First coat will raise the grain, so give it a quick sand with 400 grit to knock down the fuzz before the second coat.

Full disclosure - we used prefinished 1/4 inch maple plywood on our interiors, so my 2 cents is based on my other woodworking projects.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby Karen Clancy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:49 pm

I have always used Helmsman spray Gloss poly with good results BUT just recently I used Minway wipe on poly with really good results I was surprised on how easy with no runs in the finish . Just sand with some 220 or 320 between coats .
Karen Clancy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KTM_Guy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:23 am

I just noticed some sun fading in my galley. And I am still in the building stage. I will redo the galley with a spar varnish that has UV protector. I would have used it on the interior to, knowing what I know now.

If your interior is fully inclosed already I would not spray. If you do, have a good respirator that fits well, and lots of ventilation. You may also want to check out water-based finishes. But is needs more sanding after the first coat and before the second. There are some floor finishes that would work well, both water and solvent based.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby KennethW » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:55 am

KTM_Guy wrote:if your interior is fully inclosed already I would not spray. If you do, have a good respirator that fits well, and lots of ventilationi Todd
. In lieu of a respirator one could use a old CPAP machine just put the machine outside in fresh air.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:41 am

Hmmmmmm.....

:thinking:

On my first drop --which was a factory Hunter-- they had finished the inside with lacquer. Moisture ate it up and I ended up sanding and sealing with poly.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to General Discussion