Why Teardrops are better than Scamps

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Why Teardrops are better than Scamps

Postby Esteban » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:43 pm

:) :thumbsup: Why Teardrops are better than Scamps: Watch before you buy! Drew and May are a young Alaskan couple with a toddler who go on adventures around Alaska in their teardrop and Scamp trailers. They compares and contrasts the pros and cons of teardrop and Scamp trailers. I enjoy watching their Playing with Sticks video series. I subscribed (it's free) to be able to watch their future Alaska camping adventures.

Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Re: Why Teardrops are better than Scamps

Postby KennethW » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:16 am

The video does a good job of explaining why you would pick one over the other. Not that one is better than the other. Both have their plus side and minis side.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Modstock » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:10 pm

Great video. Got a like and sub from me. I believe some of the older scamps have a frame issue.

I still have the "want" for one of these though when we upgrade to a bigger trailer.
One day...

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby BrwBier » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:28 am

I say teardrop because it fits through the garage door. Mine lives outside so it goes through the garage and out the back door. Oh, and because I built it.
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Cathy P. » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:06 pm

One has to keep in mind that they are comparing a small teardrop with a small Scamp, so some of the disadvantages of the teardrop could be minimized with a larger teardrop - and the flexibility in a teardrop would far outweight what a Scamp could offer. Also, anyone considering a Scamp should definitely join the forums to see the kinds of issues that they have. I always wanted one until I realized the issues that I would most likely face. I lean toward green and minimizing toxins whenever possible and am not a fan of gluey board (OSB). Comparing apples and oranges.
Cathy P.
Teardrop Master

Postby saywhatthat » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:06 pm

Comparing apples and oranges
The only thing that went bad was the wood used in the fiberglass eggs not saying there great at that time a chopper gun form was use to build that made them heavy and hot .Why most manufactures when under was if you bought one you never buy a new one. Most trailers are made by one money management out fit under many names .They are made to start falling after 3 to 5 years so you will buy a new one. The repair brings in a lot of cash too.
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
The 300 Club

Postby margeleept » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:10 am

We started with a teardrop, bought a Casita 17' because we wanted to be able to stand up and make tea inside in bad weather. But it was still pretty cramped inside and was more of a pain to tow than we expected. So we sold the Casita and are now back to our teardrop! We almost bought a ProMaster van but pulled the plug at the 11th hour mainly due to cost. The problem of not being able to stand up inside has yet to be solved, but for now it's an acceptable compromise.
margeleept
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PCO6 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:28 pm

margeleept wrote:We started with a teardrop, bought a Casita 17' because we wanted to be able to stand up and make tea inside in bad weather. But it was still pretty cramped inside and was more of a pain to tow than we expected. So we sold the Casita and are now back to our teardrop! We almost bought a ProMaster van but pulled the plug at the 11th hour mainly due to cost. The problem of not being able to stand up inside has yet to be solved, but for now it's an acceptable compromise.

We currently have a tear drop, an egg and an expedition trailer. They all have their pros and cons. As for standing up in a nice towable trailer, we settled on a Clipper Express teardrop. The lift up lid answered a number of our needs.
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:05 pm

It's been 8 years, working on a 9th, and I am still pretty happy with the little lifting roof unit that I built. ..Works for me!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mary and bob » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:28 pm

For 5 years we had three campers, our vintage teardrop, a Uhaul fiberglass camper (same size as a Scamp 13, and a 17' Casita. Recently sold the Uhaul and now use only the Casita. The teardrop will go to a vintage rally or car show only. With both of us 70 years old the Casita is much more comfortable.
mary and bob
500 Club

Return to General Discussion