Thoughts on the Cabin A camper

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Thoughts on the Cabin A camper

Postby Zipline65 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:09 pm

Anyone out there camping in an Aliner Cabin A? We are looking at a used one which is perfect for our needs.
Liz
Zipline65
Silver Donating Member

Re: Thoughts on the Cabin A camper

Postby bobhenry » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:52 am

Some folks just fit in them.......Image
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby 2bits » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:57 am

All the flip up, pop up, pop out campers seemed a little hokey to me because once they are opened up they still aren't that big so it just seems like alot of extra work and it is the same weight whether it is open or closed. If I was going to do a store bought camper, I would choose a Casita but that is just me
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Aguyfromohio » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:22 am

2bits wrote:All the flip up, pop up, pop out campers seemed a little hokey to me because once they are opened up they still aren't that big so it just seems like alot of extra work and it is the same weight whether it is open or closed. If I was going to do a store bought camper, I would choose a Casita but that is just me

We are just finishing up building a pair of pop-ups, and I do have to admit your points are pretty good now that we've lived through the hassles. The complications were significant and so was the weight penalty. Our goal was to fold down to a classic teardrop appearance and to fit in the garage, but to also pop up to allow a person to stand up straight and put on trousers. The original post is about buying one, not designing and building one, which at least removes all the extra work.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby Cosmo » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:35 pm

Cabin A is not a popup A frame Aliner. Its sort of a teardrop'ish small trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1SZNy5hBRg

For me the water is the biggest issue. The flow rate of most water pumps in RVs is 1 gallon a minute. You better be pretty quick in the shower and with dishes with 11 gallons of water this trailer lists. If there are 2 campers they both need to be lots quicker. When you are done with the shower or two and a days worth of dishes you might be out of water (in my opinion) and your grey water might be full (13 gallons of grey water). You might try low water use alternatives for the dishes. https://youtu.be/RzjFrqf9K0c

Plenty of propane for hot water and heat.
The toilet delivers “self contained” capability which is good. especially if there are no bushes available at the Walmart you might stop for the night at. Nice for avoiding a midnight pee exit. Not so nice if you are planning a #2 with a fellow camper. For a woman alone fearful of the wild animals and campground perverts that lurk around bathrooms at night if you are out of pepper spray, – could be useful. All my friends use the campground toilet and these are friends with 6 figure campers. When boondocking the green room is always available which might make you wonder why you are lugging the toilet unless you don’t enjoy the packs of wolves waiting for you to drop your trousers (that’s when they attack).

An alternative could be –
Use the campground bathroom or the green room
Check the many shower alternatives.
Be very frugal with water – that requires some planning
Decide if you need to live indoors when not sleeping. I use an external shelter when I need exterior space

Good Luck! Let us know if you have concerns about something - Lots of experience in this group.

=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby Modstock » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:37 pm

I like the rear door design. Something I've always wanted to do when we do a cargo conversion.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Cathy P. » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:48 pm

I considered one some time ago. I do not believe that they made very many of them, but in last maybe 3 years, they have started producing something similar called the "Ascape". My biggest concern in the past with Aliner as a whole was that they had trouble with the floors getting wet and rotting out, so I would definitely check very closely to make sure the floor was sound, not squishy or bumpy. Here is someone comparing the Cabin A they had with the Expedition by Aline (folding type): http://patbrit7aliner.blogspot.com/2014 ... liner.html
Cathy P.
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion