Communication

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Communication

Postby Modstock » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:40 pm

I need to learn to communicate !!!
Looking for recommendations on communication.
GPS, Ham, satellite phones/message device.

I 've looked into the expensive sat phones, message devices were a bit cheaper but the plans are pricey and would rarely get used

Those buefong radios look interesting and cheap, could be an option.
Is there a frequency I can use without a license ?

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Modstock on Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Communication

Postby Sparksalot » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:59 pm

I've been a ham for 30 years. The process is pretty straightforward, and not expensive. I've been following a bunch of overlanding guys in the last year. Most don't say anything about it, but if you pay attention ALL of them have a ham radio in their vehicles.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Modstock » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:42 am

What kind of range do the beafongs have ?

Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:38 am

Modstock wrote:What kind of range do the beafongs have ?

Line of sight. Thus a few miles.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:06 am

Modstock wrote:What kind of range do the beafongs have ?

I couldn't say. In general handhelds are very short range. A vehicle mounted antenna will help immensely. That works for a mobile or handheld radio.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:38 am

If your cell can't "see" a tower, a hand-held low-wattage FM transmitter isn't going to get out either unless it can see a repeater somewhere.

Tony
Last edited by tony.latham on Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:59 am

This guy does a brief overview of options. He is in Colorado, so has experience with the wide open, no cell, West.

Communication broad overview
https://youtu.be/EUUga4UnYw0

Ham Radio specific overview
https://youtu.be/eHlOCN1LrXA

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Cosmo » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:02 am

I have an amateur(AR) radio license (ham radio). There are many communication modes for AR. VHF and UHF are short distance line of sight, 1 to 5 miles with a 5 watt hand held radio. I have mountain topped and achieved 80 miles using a directional UHF beam antenna and a hand held radio. But that is exceptional. Often there are repeater which retransmits your signal at much more power one can access with VHF and UFH that greatly extend range (20 to 50 mile or more). Mobil HF/VHF radios with 50 watts or more of power can go much more distance. Again line of sight. With a 50 watt VHF UHF radio in my car I was able to hit repeaters and get up to 100 miles total distance. This is a catch as catch can kind of thing.

Its worth noting in natural disasters radio operators are oftern needed. When the hurricane damaged Puerto Rico’s infrastructure numerous hams flew there to help with communication. This is a common task in emergencies and the reason amateur radio exists (the frequencies are a valuable commodity). County, regional and national emergency agencies have HF communication capabilities for times when infrastructure is compromised. In the digital age this may seem arcane but its reliable and simple. Digital infrastructure is VERY fragile.

I have a General class license which allows HF communication which bounces off the Ionosphere (generally speaking short wave). Different frequencies travel different distances when conditions are right. Daytime some frequencies and bands only travel a few hundred miles. The same frequencies can travel around the world at sunset and at night if the conditions are right How well you communicate is often dictated by the conditions. While not the same as picking up a phone it has lots more excitement. Contacts to Europe are possible most days. I have gotten around the other side of the globe sometimes. On the flip side there are days you cant contact anyone on HF. There are many digital communication modes which you type communication on too. These are able to get the signal to a recipient in very poor conditions that voice communication would be impossible.

I do these contacts with a 12V AGM, solar panels and a small 100 watt do it all radio. For an antenna I string up a long wired. Th.e radio gear could fit in a shoe box (excluding the battery)

It’s a very fun capability.

=Cosmoa

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby Modstock » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:43 pm

So what radio would you suggest for someone on a budget and needs to communicate maybe 50-100 miles to home via voice or text home. I was a few miles from the biggest repeater in the state.
Im trying to avoid another money sucking hobby. It was just in the canyon I had no reception, as soon as I hit the mouth of the canyon my phone received calls.

Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Cosmo » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:25 pm

What is the need? If you want to face time and send photos or describe the scenery while there - maybe there are some places that wont work.

Canyons are tough even for GPS and satellite communications. Solutions such as a EPIRB (emergency beacons) that can text cost money for subscription etc, https://www.kuiu.com/garmin-inreach-min ... gLDqfD_BwE But you can text in some conditions.Even they are not guaranteed with out a view of the satellites (like in a canyon). Bring a whistle and leave an itinerary and specify a date to start searching for you!

Small radio will help you be found faster in my opinion on a fly over or for a group searching if everyone knows the frequencies to use. Your cell phone can be tracked by searchers in the area if its on and trying to reach a cell tower. Good to think about this in advance and arrange radio frequencies and other ideas.

I am sure someone else will be more help on this than me.

If you do have to be rescued expect a big bill from the forest service for the rescue. If its a helicopter ride suicide may be more attractive than the bill.
=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:39 pm

I bought my wife a SPOT for Christmas.

It'll work great, but as you already know, the subscription is $200 (?) a year. When she hikes I can tell exactly where she is and she knows that she can get help if there is a problem.

Three buttons. # 1 I'm okay. #2 I need help but I'm not dying. And the 911 button.

Look at it as insurance. $16 a month.

:frightened:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Modstock » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:24 am

Probably cheaper than getting into ham right now.

Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby AllenS » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:20 am

I toyed with getting my HAM license last year. I've always been interested in radios, and I have a degree in electronics. So while I studied for the exam, I bought a Baofeng hand-held, programmed it for all of the local repeaters, and just listened for a few months. Nothing, I didn't hear a thing the whole time. I live in Montana, and there isn't an active HAM community here, or anywhere even close. That pretty much blew the steam right out of me, and I never followed up on the license.

I settled on getting a GMRS license, bought a Midland MXT400 (40 watts!) for each of my vehicles, as well as a couple of hand-helds, and I joined myGMRS.com to keep up to date on repeater frequencies. I'm hoping that'll be a reasonably reliable communications method.
AllenS
Teardrop Builder

Postby Modstock » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:40 pm

Thank you for the Ham alternative. Keep us posted on how it works out for you.

Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby working on it » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:24 am

AllenS wrote:I toyed with getting my HAM license last year. I've always been interested in radios,.... So while I studied for the exam, I bought a Baofeng hand-held, programmed it for all of the local repeaters, and just listened for a few months...I never followed up on the license....

*Same here, basically, except that I was contemplating getting my HAM license because a friend was schooling me. But, after he passed, my interest gradually waned, and now I just use my Baofeng as a weather radio (NOAA broadcasts).

*I also installed a CB in my truck, about that same time, primarily as a just-in-case for assistance while traveling (I only use my 2500HD Chevy for camping, or perhaps to haul heavy items from big box stores, usually using my HHR Panel and 1500 GMC for local driving), and found out that CB just isn't the same anymore (I used one in the early-mid '70's), almost unusable due to idiots that just like to hog the airwaves (talking about gibberish for no discernible reason), so maybe for my usage, 4G LTE cellular is enough.

*I really don't get out and about like I wanted to, in retirement, but if I needed to communicate while in the boondocks, or traveling in convoys (like our drag-racing club traveled-in, when going to distant racing venues), then perhaps a GMRS might be a good alternative to HAM, though HAM is probably best for the quality equipment and coverage expandability. Just not needed by myself, currently.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion