Wall Storage Ideas?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Wall Storage Ideas?

Postby Tomterrific » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:41 am

First let me say I have gotten many ideas from reading this wonderful and fun forum, thank you all.

Now I'm brainstorming again and could use help. I want to be able to stuff things on the walls to keep them out of the way. Our camper is usually a mess as neither the wife or I have any organisational skill. We are the worst!

I'm thinking if I could get some bungee mesh or netting and screw it to the wall, we could stuff in the netting, shoes, clothes, any little thing that usually ends up on the bed.

Anyone have ideas for the organizationally challenged?

Thanks again,
Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Re: Wall Storage Ideas?

Postby KennethW » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:55 am

The cloth hanging shoe organizer works great. Lots of nice size pockets.Image

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby working on it » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:02 am

* I started out thinking that having just a few places to store camping gear, supplies, and clothing would be easy enough, but my penchant for over-packing and taking along just about everything I could possibly need (as a former drag-racer, I learned to carry as much gear and spare parts as I could, to out-of-town venues), soon overwhelmed the storage limits of my 4x8 squareback trailer. It didn't help that I was limited to using an open-bed, regular-cab pickup as my excess-storage alternative (I had planned to buy a mid-size and up SUV for camping -Jeep Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, 4WD Suburban, etc.- that would have "covered & weatherproof" room inside for many items. Didn't happen, as life threw roadblocks in front of me, and I switched to storing outside in weatherproof containers, when I could.

* At first, I had pretty much packed for a day or two, but after running short of supplies, I now started packing for a week or more. I also added to my gear, and modified things after every trip, to ostensibly make camping simpler, and make it easier/faster to ramp up to departure. The opposite happened, as now I have reached my storage limit, having nowhere to add things (unless I get/build a truck topper), though I think there's nothing left to add to my equipment, anymore.

* I've reached a point where I've started setting-up in one manner, and my load-out is very similar each trip out, so all the loose supplies that I had in my passenger seat, or beside me in the cabin at night, will now go into side-mounted boxes instead. And stored where I can find them! Surely there are simpler solutions to storage... but not for me. Good luck in your quest.

galley-storage layout.jpg
first area to be filled, now with even more crammed inside than in these pics
galley-storage layout.jpg (195.54 KiB) Viewed 1412 times

max storage exceeded.jpg
inside storage was exceeded next, usually with expendable supplies for each trip, and extra clothing (it always rains, so I plan to get wet)
max storage exceeded.jpg (324.33 KiB) Viewed 1412 times

literal and actual, out-of-the-box storage options.jpg
I promise, that I will add no more (because I've no place to store it)
literal and actual, out-of-the-box storage options.jpg (225.34 KiB) Viewed 1412 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri May 03, 2019 4:43 am

We use Cargo nets …
Attachments
cargonet .JPG
cargonet .JPG (215.26 KiB) Viewed 1292 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri May 03, 2019 5:59 am

I SIMPLY PLACED CABINETS OVER THE BED MUCH LIKE A HEADBOARD.....

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby greygoos » Fri May 03, 2019 6:26 am

Have used these from Ikea. Keeps the trailer neat and tidy. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00397307/
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Fri May 03, 2019 7:22 am

Wow! A flurry of ideas. I just bought an outdoor rug for under a canopy. WOI has a good solution for storage. Just roll it up and put it in a tube!

I also like the bungee net on the wall and ceiling. I'm off to find the right sizes. I know about motorcycle nets for holding jackets and helmets are available.

Those shoe hangers will work fine. The mesh will help me find the little things that would otherwise get lost.

All great solutions so when it stops raining, if ever, I'll see what I come up with.

Thanks,
Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby redbicycle » Sat May 04, 2019 7:24 am

I was going to mention to not forget about ceiling space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redbicycle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tomterrific » Sat May 04, 2019 8:09 am

I went to HF as there were 3 different sizes of bungee nets in stock. I came home with only one. The smallest, a motorcycle net. The reason is the other two sizes have holes that are too large. Throw a T-shirt into the larger nets and it would come right out. I don't shop much so does anyone have a good cargo net for me to check out?

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Sun May 05, 2019 8:21 am

I have a net hanging from the ceiling in Rose. On Amazon there are a bewildering array of sizes to choose from.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Sun May 05, 2019 10:26 am

Thanks Sparks, I went to Amazon and saw a massive amount of nets. I put one on the list to order. I'm hoping to get one for the ceiling, maybe the sidewall. I also checked out youtube for net making vids. Not for me at this time.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby Treeview » Sun May 05, 2019 3:38 pm

Making nets is simple. The knot is a bowline.

Anyone who has built a camper or designed an electrical system would have no problem whipping up a net. Paracord and a simple shuttle and you've on your way

Tom
Treeview
The 300 Club

Return to General Discussion