Selling a homebuilt trailer to a private party (CA)

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Selling a homebuilt trailer to a private party (CA)

Postby Spvrtan » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:08 pm

So I built a 5x10 utility trailer and registered it as such (ie. custom/homemade). It has a VIN sticker and license plate on it. I also have the registration paper from the DMV. If I were to sell this to someone else in California, what steps do I need to take?

What steps do they need to take?

I know obviously they use the VIN for them to register it and possibly my registration paper but what about a bill of sale?

Do I keep my license plate so I'm not responsible if they decide to use my plate and not register the trailer under their name (because registering it themselves would get them their own plate anyway)?
Spvrtan
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Selling a homebuilt trailer to a private party (CA)

Postby Tomterrific » Wed May 01, 2019 7:17 am

Check with the DMV web site. There may be an official bill of sale made up by the state. Make copies of the signed B of S. Keep your plate for the next trailer. I always make copies of the sale doc's and keep plates to be safe and have proof I am no longer involved.

Tt, Ohio
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed May 01, 2019 8:56 pm

As soon as the sale is final go to your states online site and report the sale to remove all liability. I sold a vehicle and did that and it was my proof when they didn’t pay for parking at a lot. The lot contacted me twice and I was cleared immediately. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu May 02, 2019 5:50 am

When I moved from California, I changed my vehicle reg to New Mexico and notified California, as per law, but still received letters for years telling me my California registration had expired. Most had numerous misspellings and minor grammatical errors. I think the story is that the state contracts with private companies who are paid by the letter, and they don't bother to check the updated data base.

So expect those. They are safely ignored. If recycled, maybe they could be shipped back to Brazil to make a new tree, or something.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Return to General Discussion