Re: What’s a Good Radio… ?

Postby aminiman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:37 pm

https://youtu.be/wYB37JXiwkQ

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
aminiman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pinstriper » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:26 am

The use case is not clear just by saying radio. Do you mean for entertainment and broadcast news ? Weather radio ? 2-way emergency communication ?

I have a Spot as a PLB, keep an FRS as well. If I am with the boat or kayak I will have a handheld marine radio as well.

I also have an AM/FM/weather/TV band radio similar to the one fred listed, what takes batteries, also has an internal rechargeable you can charge with usb, crank, and solar. It also functions as a usb power bank to recharge other usb devices. It will not read and play music off a usb stick however.

Tablet has music on it so have that even without signal. Have nit actually bothered as much as many do;I prefer quiet when camping.

If we have cell coverage I will watch a baseball game on occasion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:56 am

OK, specifically how about EVAC Radio ? …. Something just to listen to the news/weather … Listen for when we can go home !!! If I want Music , I’ve got my Guitar , and I can sing … :frightened: That oughta’ scare the wildlife away !!! :shock: :lol:

We’ve had several of those hand crank survival radios in the past ( none that expensive ) , Problem is they didn’t tune very well ( drift) and the sound was not the best quality . :R

I’m an old guy now (70) and have had many good radios in the past … But now everythig is either Very CHEAP ( and not very good ) or very complicated and Expensive … :o

What I’m personally sorta’ looking for is the old school radio , something the size of a cigar box , with a handle and a little telescoping antenna out the top … There must have been a gazillion of those made huh ? ... :thinking: Maybe I should check on Flea Bay ??? Buy an Antique ??? … Hmmm , now I wonder what the Old Timers had for a radio in their Tiny Travel Trailers … ???
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:38 pm

GPW wrote:OK, specifically how about EVAC Radio ? …. Something just to listen to the news/weather … Listen for when we can go home !!! If I want Music , I’ve got my Guitar , and I can sing … :frightened: That oughta’ scare the wildlife away !!! :shock: :lol:

We’ve had several of those hand crank survival radios in the past ( none that expensive ) , Problem is they didn’t tune very well ( drift) and the sound was not the best quality . :R

I’m an old guy now (70) and have had many good radios in the past … But now everythig is either Very CHEAP ( and not very good ) or very complicated and Expensive … :o

What I’m personally sorta’ looking for is the old school radio , something the size of a cigar box , with a handle and a little telescoping antenna out the top … There must have been a gazillion of those made huh ? ... :thinking: Maybe I should check on Flea Bay ??? Buy an Antique ??? … Hmmm , now I wonder what the Old Timers had for a radio in their Tiny Travel Trailers … ???

What's a "cigar box"? :thinking:

Just kidding! (But I'm old too. Haven't seen a new cigar box in quite a while...)

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby retep » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:50 am

GPW wrote:OK, specifically how about EVAC Radio ? …. Something just to listen to the news/weather … Listen for when we can go home !!! If I want Music , I’ve got my Guitar , and I can sing … :frightened: That oughta’ scare the wildlife away !!! :shock: :lol:

Just a thought... You could look up ham radio flea markets in your vicinity. You should be able to find older radios there at a very reasonable price. I like you still prefer the older radios as there seem to work very well at pulling in remote stations.

Good luck.

retep
Teardrop Master

Postby WoodSmith » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:30 am

A lot of people talk down about the Baofeng radios, but I have two of them at $30 or so each. They got me on the ham radio bands, they receive the weather bands, as well as broadcast FM. I have dual band radios, which means I can also transmit and receive on 2 meters and 70 cm.

Mine have been stashed in a toolbox or on my dresser for about a year with no maintenence, I feed them Energizer Lithium cells and have had no problems with turning them on and being ready to go.

https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-UV-5R-Pl ... B07CMZ2QCF

You can use it as a receiver all day long, and _in_an_emergency_ you can even transmit in order to get help.

Lots of YouTube videos on using them for emergency radios. There is a little bit of a learning curve, but once set up it's pretty much turn it on and tune it in. Hoshnasi is one YouTuber who has several series on Baofengs.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:26 pm

* Though I bought a Baofeng UV-5X (and two extra batteries) in anticipation of getting a ham license a couple of years back (I didn't), I do use it almost daily to keep up with the weather (we also have an auto-alert radio at home). I always carry it with me whenever I go out of town or on a camping trip, especially since the weather nearly always turns severe when I do camp. I can't say how many times I'll have NOAA on the UV-5X, and weather radar on my phone (if there's an AT&T cell tower nearby) when I get into my trailer at night.. I'll also have my Pioneer stereo tuned-in to the nearest local station, as well. Listening to my music will always take a backseat to the state of the weather. It can't hurt to keep a handy thing like a cheap Baofeng around!
Baofeng1.JPG
Baofeng1.JPG (190.68 KiB) Viewed 974 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby retep » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:41 pm

working on it wrote:* Though I bought a Baofeng UV-5X (and two extra batteries) in anticipation of getting a ham license a couple of years back (I didn't), I do use it almost daily to keep up with the weather (we also have an auto-alert radio at home). I always carry it with me whenever I go out of town or on a camping trip, especially since the weather nearly always turns severe when I do camp. I can't say how many times I'll have NOAA on the UV-5X, and weather radar on my phone (if there's an AT&T cell tower nearby) when I get into my trailer at night.. I'll also have my Pioneer stereo tuned-in to the nearest local station, as well. Listening to my music will always take a backseat to the state of the weather. It can't hurt to keep a handy thing like a cheap Baofeng around!
Baofeng1.JPG

I think GPW was looking for an old (vintage) car radio. I thought going to a ham radio flea market may offer some vintage radios. Alternatively a classic car flea market may offer some deals if not perhaps a salvage yard or local second hand shop. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Peter

retep
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:23 am

I should have kept my old Boom box … :lol:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member