maybe a wacky one here
i ask for anyone and everyone's help please
in my spare time, i have built and sold 22 teardrops over the last 9 years
the last one i built is larger, a small canned ham, large enough to stand in
it is very well constructed and i think it looks very nice
i have it for sale on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/223494543985
i have been trying to sell this for months now
i started with a asking price of $8500, it is now $6800, less than half of the cost of a used t@b (i know they are nicer and have more stuff)
it now has almost 11000 views, i know 99% of folks are just looking
not one person has come to look or make an offer
i ask for help, what am i doing wrong?
what do ya'll think this trailer needs to create interest?
water heater, graphics, a stove, a tv, holding tanks, more selling bs? (you'll be the center of attention, she gets looks wherever she goes, a monster chick magnet!!!!!)
i would appreciate any and all input and suggestions
thanks for any help
ez-toad trailers
http://www.ez-toad.com
donisaguy
Teardrop Inspector

Re: help please

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu May 09, 2019 9:16 pm

I would start by adding more info to your listing. It does not say you can stand up in it. List everything that is included. Does it have 12V and 110? Axle and tire size? What does the potti room offer? Does it have a Fantastic Fan or similar? Graphics would help, so would corner jacks. I would also put a window in the door. Even a 12" round window would look nice and being able to see who is at the door before opening it adds a sense of safety. Do you have this advertised anywhere else besides Ebay? There are many free Facebook pages for small trailers that accept trailer ads for sale. Craigslist is another free place. Do you have it for sale on this site and Tear Jerkers? I find Ebay somewhat restrictive for big items. Many would not bid on something that expensive without seeing it in person. Plus you have to pay a commission.

You have a beautiful trailer, and I think your price is to low. With what you have in materials and the hours you have in it, it should bring at least 9K.
Good luck with the sale.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu May 09, 2019 10:18 pm

While you give lots of information, people like pictures. (If there are more pictures, I missed them, sorry.) Pictures of the interior would be a big plus. Also, the weight is is listed as 'guessed' at 1800 lbs and the tongue weight is 270. That could mean that the over-all weight could be as high as 2700. That could be too much for some vehicles to tow. I didn't notice if it has brakes. Many states will not allow towing of anything over 1500 lbs unless it has brakes. It's a nice looking trailer! It should sell.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Atomic77 » Fri May 10, 2019 2:59 pm

So... are you saying there is no hot water, no holding tanks, (so basically no water?) Which means no toilet? And no TV? Without such amenities it would be tough to get $8500 out of a standie I would think.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri May 10, 2019 3:18 pm

Atomic77 wrote:So... are you saying there is no hot water, no holding tanks, (so basically no water?) Which means no toilet? And no TV? Without such amenities it would be tough to get $8500 out of a standie I would think.

I sold one a few years ago for 9500.00. It did have a galley, wired for TV but no water. sold fast.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Fri May 10, 2019 4:33 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:
Atomic77 wrote:So... are you saying there is no hot water, no holding tanks, (so basically no water?) Which means no toilet? And no TV? Without such amenities it would be tough to get $8500 out of a standie I would think.

I sold one a few years ago for 9500.00. It did have a galley, wired for TV but no water. sold fast.
I'm guessing the area might have something to do with it too. Around here you could get one loaded for that

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby working on it » Fri May 10, 2019 4:42 pm

* Looking at the description http://www.ez-toad.com/trailer23.html, pictures https://www.flickr.com/photos/51728468@N03/sets/72157675224498838, and video https://www.youtube.com/redirect?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ez-toad.com%2Ftrailer23.html&v=v-AIpd6o_OE&redir_token=mexOj3DNMNhp1fYyKzaiDdPKbGF8MTU1NzYxMDg0M0AxNTU3NTI0NDQz&event=video_description of the trailer in question, #23, I see water + pump, cassette/hassock? toilet, and a pretty nice layout, with fridge , microwave and A/C already installed. Insulated, too. . For the money, (less than half a Casita, Scamp, T@B, etc.), there'd be $$$ left to personalize and upgrade as I would wish. If I was in the market for a standy (seems like all my local camping group friends are going in that direction), it looks good to me.
* However, I might be concerned that my usage of the standy might be a bit rough, I drive fast and corner hard, which is probably not good for a 2000 lb axle that may be at or near its' load limit, guessed as weighing at 1800 lbs unloaded, already. My usual loading would certainly push that figure above 2k lbs. I'd need a higher capacity axle, but that's just me. Before I upgraded my 4x8 with a 3500 lb axle, I was using an overloaded sub-1000 lb axle, while my trailer weighed over 1600 lbs at the time, and I was constantly worried that it would fail me. But, that shouldn't concern an owner that drives sensibly, and can restrain from overloading. Maybe, in the future...?
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:02 pm

Now that I see the ad, that looks really nice and has most all the right stuff! I would sure think your price may even be a bit low. I would advertise somewhere else. The Facebook camper pages would be a great start. That's very nice looking. The average person certainly couldn't build one for that $$.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby donisaguy » Fri May 10, 2019 7:31 pm

thanks for the comments and ideas guys

i did add more pictures and more information to the ad, instead of requiring folks to click a link
woodbutcher, obviously you know what things cost, i spent almost $6000 for all materials for this trailer, i couldn't believe it when i added up the receipts,
i listed it for months on ebay, craigslist, even here on tt&t, for $8500, then $7500, and now for $6800 with no serious response, i will try facebook
if i am able to sell at $6800, that leaves $800 for about 160 hours of work, i'll not be building again,
i probably will add some graphics, and maybe a door window, i do have one, but reluctant to put much more cash into it,
i didn't put a stove because i thought some folks might like an electric hot plate and some would prefer a portable gas one,

again thanks very much to all for the help
ez-toad trailers
donisaguy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Fri May 10, 2019 9:02 pm

...to sell at $6800, that leaves $800 for about 160 hours of work...

The $6800 doesn't surprise me. What does is the build time. How did you build that in four weeks?

I couldn't have pulled it off in a month. (I think you are under estimating your time too.)

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat May 11, 2019 5:02 pm

I looked at the added pictures. That's nice!!! It should easily get some bites now. Your price may even be too low!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby donisaguy » Sun May 26, 2019 11:09 am

follow up on this, might help others,
after months of advertising, i finely sold this trailer (through facebook) for $6700, about $700 more than i had spent on materials, $700 for 150+ hours of work, that's awesome!
I've sold 22 teardrop, in the past, without much problem, don't know if the market is saturated, or I'm just a really bad salesman,
thanks to all for help
ez-toad trailers
donisaguy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Atomic77 » Sun May 26, 2019 11:12 am

Glad you were able to sell. I know your labor was worth more than $4 an hour. You did nice work. Honestly I do think the market is turning.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby curious relic » Sun May 26, 2019 6:15 pm

Checking in here after quite a while away from the boards. Don, glad to see you sold your trailer. I think it is super nice, and yes, it should have sold for a lot more. I know the kind of workmanship you put into your campers: I bought number 13 a few years ago. I love mine, and it's holding up very well.

Did any of your other trailers take this long to sell? I think the size and weight of this one may have worked against it, as others said. If I had seen it before it sold, I might have been all over it.
curious relic
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion