So let's discuss cb radios

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: So let's discuss cb radios

Postby Sparksalot » Fri May 17, 2019 6:34 pm

AllenS wrote:I've considered getting my ham license a few times, but there is virtually no ham community here in Montana. There are a few repeaters that I've been listening to for almost a year, and I've never heard any conversation on any of them. That sort of took the wind out of my sails the last time I got interested in getting licensed.

CBs were really big here when I was in high school and college, before cell phones were affordable. I still keep a couple of inexpensive Unidens in both of our vehicles, and I have an old Cobra on the bench in the garage. I live a stones throw from I-90, and I hear conversations between truckers fairly regularly, but nothing like the old days when everyone was on there. Although when we had a lot of flooding two years ago, and communications were down all over town, channel 19 got awfully busy for a few weeks.

I did recently get a GMRS license, a couple of really nice Midland hand helds, and an MXT400 in the truck. That should keep the family talking over reasonable distances when we're out boondocking.

HF radio is a much more likely way to make a ham contact in the remote areas. VHF/UHF would be useful while on trails and caravaning with a group. In addition to the VHF unit and the occassional CB in the car, I will also have a 10 meter HF rig with me. My teardrop has a low-power (QRP) HF radio covering 10-160 meters. I have a pvc tube on the tongue to carry the antennas for 10-80.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby cuyeda » Sat May 18, 2019 12:01 am

An important point to make regarding the differences and I don't think it has been made yet. Ham radio operators by nature are very helpful when it comes to an emergency. Sure the hobby has diminished over the years with smartphones becoming versatile. You don't hear as much chatter as before, but there is someone always listening. If you are in distress, someone will pick up the microphone and try to help.

On the other hand, being on CB is like a crap shoot. You don't know if the person on the other end will legitimately help you or lead you astray. Also, every ham operator uses their call sign. It is highly likely if they offer help, they will and go above and beyond to make sure you are safe.

I have previously worked for Kenwood for 20 years representing the ham radio equipment.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Modstock » Sat May 18, 2019 2:41 pm

Cost wise. I'll be getting a SPOT before next winter. Ham was $$$.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ferbal » Sat May 18, 2019 8:11 pm

Modstock wrote:Cost wise. I'll be getting a SPOT before next winter. Ham was $$$.

What's a SPOT cost? A cheap Baofeng with marginally decent antenna and the cost of the licence is about the same cost as a cheap CB radio.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using Tapatalk
ferbal
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Modstock » Sat May 18, 2019 11:47 pm

A baofeng ain't covering the distance I want.

Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun May 19, 2019 10:09 am

ferbal wrote:
Modstock wrote:Cost wise. I'll be getting a SPOT before next winter. Ham was $$$.

What's a SPOT cost? A cheap Baofeng with marginally decent antenna and the cost of the licence is about the same cost as a cheap CB radio.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using Tapatalk

I bought a SPOT for my wife on eBay. I think it was $60. The kicker is the subscription, $150/year. But if it can see the sky, it'll get out. We carried it on our three-week SW trip where we had marginal (mostly no) cell service.

I've got a Baofeng that I do not transmit on --it sits in my shop as a scanner. You'd have to know the frequency somebody might be monitoring and it'll only go as far as you can see.

:thinking:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Tue May 21, 2019 3:49 pm

I was just reading on the Spot and In-reach a few weeks ago. A guy was telling about a off-road motorcycle rally he volunteered for as a sweep rider and came across a group of riders with a hurt rider. All was fine but she needed help getting out. 4 to 6 people had spots or In-reach and told the guy they were all good to continue with the sweep. This guy works in search and rescue in the area and knows the area very well. He knows where the odd spots were you can get cell service and went to one to make a call to 911. On his way down a forest road about 45 minutes later he saw the crew heading up. He checked later in the week will the rescue office and the only call they got was from him. Nothing from either service. He later looked in to the devices and found they are good in populated areas because that is where the satellites are. As you get far north and south there are fewer satellites. If you are in a valley the chances of getting a satellite overhead are slim. He still carries one but knows it’s not as good as he thought from the advertising. This once in British Columbia.

He also said because the off-road/ Overland community is moving to ham it is getting easier to reach someone. Especially on weekends when there are more people in wilderness with ham. I was in Death Valley two years ago and came across a guy in the middle of nowhere and I asked about the antennas and said for ham and GMRS. He called out and got two replies of people that could hear him. I’ll be getting my ham ticket in the next month or two.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue May 21, 2019 7:35 pm

He later looked in to the devices and found they are good in populated areas because that is where the satellites are.

The SPOT has three buttons. The first is the "I'm Okay" button that sends a pre-written message out to designated folks that receive a text and an email with a map link. They can use the link to see exactly where the device is at.

I've noticed that when the button is activated in a canyon, a red light comes on that turns green when it finds a satellite and the message is sent. It chugs away until it happens. My wife sends me those when she's hiking alone in the hills (without any cell service). Usually two or three per hike. I get the messages within ten minutes of her pushing the button. And I get them 100% of the time.

And then there's the "I Need Help" button that sends a message to the same crowd. And that's for when you're buried up to the axles in mud.

The last button is a 911 notice that your sheriff gets with GPS coordinates. (The local SO get's them from time to time and they roll not knowing what the problem is.)

SPOT uses the Globalstar Satellite System. These are 24 low-earth satellites that finish their orbit about every two hours similar to the GPS systems. Here's the coverage map:

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Tue May 21, 2019 10:27 pm

The point the guy was making was just because you push the 911 button doesn't mean help is on the way. He said at least four people pushed their 911 buttons and the calls were never made to the authorities.

A spot or in-reach is just another tool to help get needed help and shouldn't be relied on by its self.

Meg wants to get an In-reach when we start some more remote trips. She likes it for the ability to send and receive text messages. But it comes at a cost.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby Modstock » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:11 pm

Just saw this at our local Sportsmans warehouse. On sale, half off.

Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:23 pm

Modstock wrote:Just saw this at our local Sportsmans warehouse. On sale, half off.

They work fine. Just keep in mind the $150 annual subscription fee.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Modstock » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:52 pm

In some of the reviews I've read.
They said beware of the renewal increase .
Have you had any issues with resubscribing ???

I may grab one, unless I see a better deal on eBay.

Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Modstock » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:30 pm

I just ordered me a Beaufong XR , since my scanner no longer works.

Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion