A Different kind of Air Conditioner?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby Bandit » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:42 pm

I saw a buikd that mounted their 5000 BTU A/C in a slide-out. There was an external door that opened and you then slide out the A/C unit. Slide it back in and close the door for travel.
Does anyone know where to find the photo's?
:thinking:
First Metal Cut 02/11/06
Complete! (Almost) 08/22/06
Looking for a trip in the SPRING!!!!
Not Up to Testing the Heater!!!
Thanks for all the HELP!!!!
Bandit
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:52 pm

...I do believe it is the GT Compact that George Teague built that you are looking for.............................. 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Artificer » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:32 am

Sonetpro wrote:...
I put a meter on it and it draws 3.6 amp AC when the compressor is running. I have a kipor 1000 generator to run it. (quiet) The generator will run it but doesn't have enough power to start the compressor. So I'm running it through the inverter and battery's to use the battery's as big capacitors. Runs off the generator fine and at less than half load, uses the battery's to pull the extra amperage required to start the compressor. I've bench tested it and it works fine.

Well, thats depressing news. I guess I shouldn't have believed the claim of 264 watts. Sounds like it closer to 415 watts. Bummer!!! Is your Pet-Cool the 2000, or 2500BTU unit? (2200?)

Is the 3.6 amp draw with the inverter, or with regular line power? I can see a reading problem with the inverter. I wouldn't put the claim to "uses only the power of 4 standard light bulbs" to mean 100 or 150 watt bulbs past them. Oh, well...

I might have to investigate getting a Danfoss 12v dc compressor for a custom AC unit. They'er supposed to be very efficent, and smaller sized, since they're for marine refrigeration uses. Hmmm... combined DC powered refrigerator/AC system... :thinking:

Does anyone have experience with how much one of the 5000BTU window runs while cooling? I'd like to have a better idea of the cooling requirements for a TT.
Artificer
Teardrop Master

Postby Sonetpro » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:01 am

I'll get the Fluke out and do some readings today. I have a 2000 btu I'll read from line, Generator and inverter-battery only. I'll post results this afternoon.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Sonetpro » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:56 am

Sonetpro wrote:I'll get the Fluke out and do some readings today. I have a 2000 btu I'll read from line, Generator and inverter-battery only. I'll post results this afternoon.

Heres the results Tested with a Fluke 87III
AC
Line - Generator
Fan only .2
compressor running 2.2 start 7.9 peak

Set up is WFCO 25amp converter, 2 Powersafe 100 amp hour AGM battery's, And two different inverters.

I got varied results from two different inverters
Draw from battery
DC
Xanatrex 600 watt 700 watt peak inverter.
running 39.2 increasing to 46.1 after 30 minutes

Victor 700 watt 1400 watt peak
32.6 increase to 39.2 after 30 minutes.

So no I don't think it's feasable to run it off battery only. The increased amperage from the voltage dropping is too high for me to be comfortable with.
I also cannot run it with my present converter.
I did find though that if I turn the powersave option off on the generator it has no problem running it. I found that with it on and the compressor kicked on, the generator did not have enough time to kick up to meet the demand.
Rather than buying a larger converter I will run it off generator or shore power only.
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Artificer » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:56 pm

Sonetpro wrote:...
So no I don't think it's feasable to run it off battery only. The increased amperage from the voltage dropping is too high for me to be comfortable with.
I also cannot run it with my present converter.
I did find though that if I turn the powersave option off on the generator it has no problem running it. I found that with it on and the compressor kicked on, the generator did not have enough time to kick up to meet the demand.
Rather than buying a larger converter I will run it off generator or shore power only.

THANK YOU for running the tests. I see the 264watts is correct. (120V, 2.2A) The 50%-60% inverter efficiency is surprising. (~420watts DC in vs. 264 watts AC out) I thought that they were touted as 90%+ for efficiency. I have a Vector 750w, so and I guess I'll have to check that out.

I'm glad to hear that your generator will now run the AC. I had wondered at a 1000watt unit not being able to start it. They normally have an intermitent rating of 1500watts. I haven't delt much with new generators, so didn't remember the powersave feature.

After your post yeasterday I spent far too much prime building time surfing the net looking at ammonia refrigeration http://www.ggw.org/~cac/IcyBall/HomeBui ... Built.html

dc compressors, http://de.refrignet.danfoss.com/Technic ... 00h102.pdf AND it uses R290 as a refrigerant (propane)
and stuff like that.

I guess my plan for now is to find a way to shove the 5000BTU Walmart special AC into the trailer. If I can't run the Pet-cool on battery power, the extra $300 purchase price doesn't offset the convenience of easy mounting. More esoteric solutions are definetly not out, but I have to finish the trailer before starting the work on them.

Thanks again for doing the testing.
Michael
Artificer
Teardrop Master

Postby CPASPARKS » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:28 pm

Not an A/C but maybe an alternative push high volume of air through the td...

http://www.breezeasy.com/?golfcardealers.com

I do not have a "Fantastic Fan"...wonder how this breezeasy compares?

This unit is also portable.[/url]
Kevin
CPASPARKS
The 300 Club

Postby madjack » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:44 pm

...the Fantastic vent moves 50% more air on low than the Breezy does on high...
Fantastiv Vent fan specs:
Hi, 920cfm/3A/40db
Med, 635cfm/2.29A/39db
Lo, 478cfm/1.86A/38db
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Sonetpro » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:09 pm

Artificer wrote:
I guess my plan for now is to find a way to shove the 5000BTU Walmart special AC into the trailer. If I can't run the Pet-cool on battery power, the extra $300 purchase price doesn't offset the convenience of easy mounting. More esoteric solutions are definetly not out, but I have to finish the trailer before starting the work on them.

Michael

Here's why I chose the Petcool. I am going to tow it with a Jeep CJ-7 so carrying it in the tow vehicle was out of the question. I wanted it built in.
After I got it I stripped off the handles and legs. It gave me a small 10 1/2 x12 1/2 x 16 package. It allowed me to install it in a bulkhead between the cabin and galley. Heres some pics.

Sonetpro
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion