Tv,s - Stereo Setup in your Builds

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby PresTx82 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:11 am

Yea, I've done the same thing. My family went out camping at Lake Bonita, New Mexico and we took two vehicles (we had numerous kids). We set up my wife's Caravan with a TV with DVD and opened her hatch and let the kids watch a movie while I kept the campfire going as deer wondered close by to our camp. It just struck me at that time that this wasn't what I wanted to do (with the kids and all). I wanted the kids to enjoy the great outdoors. Besides this episode drained my wife's vehicle of battery juice that night (she needed jumped).

Don't get me wrong, if my wife and I were on the road by ourselves we could enjoy a movie. I guess it would depend on what you're trying to accomplish. When I can pry the kids away from thr TV, their music and their video games and take them to the great outdoors, I like roughing it ...........................!
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby madjack » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:17 am

...well actually I have never taken a TV along camping...kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it...if I we are going to be out awhile I do usually carry a little boom box to catch the news and I do carry a weather radio to keep up with that...other than that I would much rather hear the crickets and locusts and the frogs and all the other things that roam the night...like the dreaded CHUPACABRA :frightened:
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby PresTx82 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:22 am

Obsolutely, I fully agree. I got out voted that trip on the DVD/TV thing, but it hasn't happened since. Campfire stories and chasing the "tame" deer in the area were our entertainment at that camp location.
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby cracker39 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:35 am

.....Some folks have a wife who, if it's a weekday, doesn't want to miss her soaps and her morning time with Fox and Friends before she gets out of bed...
:lol:
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Classic Finn » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:23 am

Basically its an extra "thing to do" for the kids.. thats one reason for having a Dvd, Radio or small tv in the tear.. They seem to get bored real fast..
And also if the weather turns sour..and starts to rain ...

other than that I agree, the sound of the birds, loons, frogs and....
does sound nice and peaceful...as we enjoy the outdoors around a campfire...watching the sunset.. which it dont do here in June - July
(Midsummer).. and the nice sunrise... with a morning breakfast and fresh
cup of Coffee... :thumbsup: Somehow good food and beverages taste better outdoors...

Classic Finn
Last edited by Classic Finn on Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:23 am

Classic Finn wrote:And also if the weather turns sour..and starts to rain ...

Finn, The weather forecast is the main reason that I first got the small TV for the galley. I also like to catch the morning news while I'm up early cooking breakfast. Sometimes there is a college football game the I like to catch glimses of.
Everyone has different reasons. :thinking: :thumbsup: :applause:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:39 am

I did mine, 'cause I like to watch tv. and movies, in comfort.

Sure, I enjoy wildlife and campfire time too, but as I age, the importance of "roughing it" holds less appeal.

I work hard all year long, and when I go camping, or touring, relaxing is the reason. Yes, I can watch tv. at home, though generally don't because I'm working on a project.
Watching a good movie out in the woods with the crickets chirping, and the coons rummaging around can be quite a nice experience too...well, unless you're watching a horror movie :frightened:

My days of playing Daniel Boone are long past, but I do enjoy watching the younger folks at the campgrounds take over that role.
Watching them strut around is, at times comical, and when bed time rolls around, and theyre still trying to cook dinner over an open fire as a thunderstorm lets loose, I almost feel sorry for them as they huddle like mice in their cold dark tent.
But I don't worry over them too much, cause they're young and tough, and it was their choice!

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:17 am

48Rob wrote:
My days of playing Daniel Boone are long past, but I do enjoy watching the younger folks at the campgrounds take over that role.
Watching them strut around is, at times comical, and when bed time rolls around, and theyre still trying to cook dinner over an open fire as a thunderstorm lets loose, I almost feel sorry for them as they huddle like mice in their cold dark tent.
But I don't worry over them too much, cause they're young and tough, and it was their choice!

Rob

Rob, The way I see it is this. If these technologies and comforts were available 50 years ago, people would build them into there relaxation life styles. Camping can be as varied as you want to make it. I love the outdoors, but I like to keep up to date on the world around me. I'm still getting my education (on line) so I need to plan this into my relaxation times.
Nothing wrong with mixing different lives into one if that's what it takes.
There are times when I try to do too much, :? but I can always back off and slow down once my committment to that particular set of tasks is completed..

I'll try almost anything once, but a lot less a second time. :thinking:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:47 am

Hi Kurt!

Yes, you're right.
"Camping" means somrthing different to each "camper".

As long as anothers camping "style" doesn't interrfere with mine, or vice/versa, we'll all get along great! :thumbsup:

Whem my folks first started taking me camping (for me) the term "camping" meant a tent, open fires, and roughing it.
Along with that came those awful pit toilets :cry:
While it was part of the camping experience, it wasn't pleasant, nor something I have any desire to re-live.

Sleeping, or worse yet, huddling in a tent that is dripping on you, or waking up wet cause you were touching the side, but didn't realize it was raining...the list goes on and on...

Anyway, all, year long, every day, I work outside.
I admire nature, and cherish all the fantastic moments I am able to experience because of my job.
When I go camping, I still enjoy being outside, but don't have any trouble turning on the set, and laying back with a warm breeze blowing through the trailer.
Life is for enjoying, your way. :)

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby TomS » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:20 pm

This is a very intersting and worthwhile discussion. We all have different priorities when it comes to entertainment when camping.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with broadcast, cable, or sattelite TV. However, a portable DVD player might be a good way to pass the time on a rainy night. I love music, especially blues. Also, I like to get some news and a weather report in the mornings, especially when we're trying to decide between sightseeing in town, spending the day on the beach, or paddling on a nearby river.

I avoided built in entertainment electronics when planning my build. I prefer portable devices that I can easily move around. In campgounds, one needs to be considerate of the neighbors. I can keep portable electronics very close to me. This allows me to keep the volume levels at an absolute minimum.

Just prior to our maiden voyage last year, I picked up an XM Roady 2 reciever. I really love XM. I hardly ever listen to AM or FM any more. We used it in the car on the long drive to Florida. We also used it the galley of the TD. I played it through an el-cheapo boombox from Wally World. It was a pain moving it the antenna and power adaptor between the car and the TD. Also, we had wires running all over our galley.

This year, I plan to updgrade my XM radio to the SkyFi2. I am also going to get this boom box unit to go with it.

This thing runs on AC, 12V DC (w adapter) and D-cell batteries. This way , all I have to do is move the radio. In addition to XM, it plays CD, MP3s on CD, FM and AM radio. It also comes with it's own XM antenna with a 10-foot cord that you can either leave on the back of the unit, or detatch for better reception.

I was in Sam's club last weekend and spotted a special bundle, with the SkyFi radio and this boombox for $145. That's a GREAT deal. I plan go back there on my next payday. If they still have it in stock, I'll pick it up.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:06 pm

Rob, you brought back some old memories that I wouldn't trade for anything. Having a tent that you borrowed with no instructions and confusing non-symetrical poles to figure out, getting it part way up, and having a violent rain begin is one of them. Talk about cold and wet...we didn't have a dry thing to wear or use all weekend. I did a lot of tent camping when I was younger, taking small kids to the woods, and cooking over the fire. But, now, at age 67, like you, I think a little less roughing is in order.

I still like to grill a steak over the campfire coals and maybe even cook breakfast over the fire, but sleeping on the ground is definitely out now. Give me a comfortable bed inside a dry trailer, an AC if it gets really hot, and a screen room to put around my table to keep the skeeters out and I'll be just fine. Oh yeah...a TV or radio for entertainment if we're stuck inside due to rain.
:thumbsup:
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:37 pm

TomS wrote: I love music, especially blues.

Tom, That's my favorite too. Bluesville - Channel 74 on the XM highway.
That a kick a__ boom box. I have the older one and it's great for the teardrop. I'd like to get another and build it into the galley or lid. :thinking: :applause: :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby TomS » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:02 pm

Kurt (Indiana) wrote:That's my favorite too. Bluesville - Channel 74 on the XM highway

Yeah, 24/7 Blues with NO COMMERCIALS or obnoxous ratchet-jawed know-nothing DJ's. I'm in heaven.

I'm even scheeming up ways to get an XM signal to my desk at work. I'd do the streaming audio thing. However, our corporate IT folks have strict rules about that sort of thing. Sooner or later, they would notice my bandwitch usage.

I work on the 4th floor of a 100-year old four-story building. My desk is next to a window that opens out to a light well. The line of sight to the south is blocked by rest of the building. I'm thinking about sticking one of those magnetic car attenas to a metal surface somewhere on the roof above my office and droppiig the cord down to the window next to my desk. Those attennas are tiny and the cords are very thin, nobody would notice it unless they were looking for it.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:10 pm

TomS wrote:Yeah, 24/7 Blues with NO COMMERCIALS or obnoxous ratchet-jawed know-nothing DJ's. I'm in heaven.

Those attennas are tiny and the cords are very thin, nobody would notice it unless they were looking for it.

I commute an hour each way to work. XM has really helped me cope.
Tom, Have you taken the teardrop to any Blues fests? I have two favorites locally (within 200mi). One has a huge camp ground right in the middle of the Festival. It's in Bean Blossum, IN. They call it "The Bean" http://beanblossomblues.com/ it's a good one with top name blues acts. This is always in Sept, but there is a Bill Monroe Bluegrass festival in June. Great fun. 8) Jammin' all night (not me), I'm done after 1:00am or so; I like to get up around 5:30am.. :o :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby TomS » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:30 pm

I just checked out the web site for that blues fest in September. I subscribed to the email newsletter. I get 4 weeks vacation this year. I already reserved 3 weeks. So, I could probably get the time to go to this one. The TD would be perfect for the campground.

Who are some of the blues acts that appear there? Any chance of seeing Buddy Guy there?
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion