Back packing stoves.

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Back packing stoves.

Postby Aguyfromohio » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:49 am

slowcowboy wrote:Any one use backpacking equipment when camping in tbere teardrop?....i think for us single guys when we want a quick meal.that the small butane back packing stoves would do a quickie meal...slowcowboy.

I have not used the backpacker stoves for cooking, but I have backpackers Jetboil for boiling water.
I love it. It boils water faster than my home microwave. My unit has the press coffee maker parts and it makes good coffee.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:15 am

The Iwatani type are great, butane canister self contained, great control, very stable.

But best used outdoors of course.

I would not reco the tripod nor on-tank style at all inside a small space, danger of tipping over.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby swoody126 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:17 am

an extension on Slow's Q could be...

¿ what is a Teardrop if not a hard sided backpacker's tent on wheels that has a ready made bed in it ?

AND the "backpack" conveniently situated on the back w/ a handy dandy lid that opens up^ to provide a minimalistic shelter

as an armchair Teardrop enthusiast who does/has done this style camping for many years from boats and motorcycles i follow the writings and pics on this forum daily occasionally chiming in on subjects i have encountered and am personally familiar with a/o have substantial experience with

a question i frequently ask myself and others very closely resembles Slow's

with the tiny house trend is being adopted by many in the teardrop game

¿ how much stuff/convenience can i cram into a teardrop ?

if i'm reading Slow's question right he's asking...

¿ how simple can i make my teardrop experience while maintaining a good quality of life ?

i am currently in the process of developing a kit that can be used for sailing adventures in a light weight wooden sailboat that will parallel the teardrop concept for me except on the water

the simplicity and compactness of backpacking gear is driving the kit design for me

the simple 1-burner stove can go a long way toward feeding human needs

the electric drip coffee pot here at home cranks out fresh brewed coffee in 10-11 minutes

the gasoline a/o canister single burner stoves i have tested will boil water in 4.5-5.5 minutes and the french press turns that hot water into fresh brewed coffee in 5 minutes

the 2 alcohol stoves(no moving parts) i have and am testing will boil water in 6.5-8.5 minutes(depending on pan design) and the same french press renders the hot water into fresh brewed coffee in the same 5 minutes

i am thinking an element of Slow's question that i haven't tested is "cooking" on anything butt a gasoline fuel single burner which would do more than simply "make hot/boil"

small single burner stoves can "cook" butt more often for me real cooking while camping is over a fire/coals so their attributes for me revolve around reconstituting dehydrated foods or heating up precooked food that was frozen in sealed packages while floating in boiling water is the extent of my expectations

EXCEPT for my morning coffee a/o my afternoon glass of sweet tea which makes the single burner stoves well worth their weight in gold

cost wise i can create a press full of fresh brewed coffee for 19¢ - 21¢ in liquid fuel cost(depending on quantity of purchased)

alcohol fuel i tested came in 2 forms

denatured alcohol fuel and HEET(yellow bottle)

both can be sourced @ WallyWorld

the denatured alcohol can also be sourced at other big box stores like Lowes & Home Depot

HEET can also be sourced at all auto parts stores and most convenience stores

there is a BTW that goes along with my train of thought and it revolves around the fact that an alcohol fire can be extinguished w/ WATER which is not possible w/ any of the other common fuels(liquid or canister) making an ABC fire extinguisher necessary IMHO when cooking/making coffee... in the TD kitchen/on a boat

¿ simplicity/complexity ? (neither is right / neither is wrong)

¿ camping/glamping ? (neither is right / neither is wrong)

GOOD "Q" Slow

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:37 am

slowcowboy wrote:Any one use backpacking equipment when camping in tbere teardrop?....i think for us single guys when we want a quick meal.that the small butane back packing stoves would do a quickie meal...slowcowboy.

I've never backpacked as an adult, just "car camped" (perhaps with a campsite a few hundred yards from the Jeep), but own a used back packer's two man tent, that I used before I met my wife. We may carry it as a "guest bedroom" in our teardrop, for times we meet relatives, and their children.

We also plan to use mostly our car camping equipment once the teardrop is finished: A stackable aluminum cook set, cast iron frying pan, Coleman propane stove, folding table, etc. since we've always found that combination adequate for our comfort.

With the 2 burner Coleman stove, I don't think we'd need/want a backpacking stove. No added convenience there, even if we wanted a one dish meal.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Cosmo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:41 am

In my case – the most important option for a backpacking stove is a wind screen. It prevents blow out, increases fuel efficiently and cooks way faster. Many models to choose from. I use it on my teardrop stove too. In some conditions its impossible to cook without one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014K ... UTF8&psc=1

I have a 1972 vintage Svea/Optimus 123R. Utterly reliable in any conditions. I have had it out in 20 below zero and it was the only stove that worked while several other stoves failed. The Svea 123, introduced in 1955, is considered to be the first compact backpacking white gas stove[1] and one of the most popular camping stoves ever made. I still use it and love its odd quirks. Definite conversation topic at any meal. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svea_123

I have a Coleman multi fuel stove too. The pump failed in extreme cold the plastic washers/seal in the pump shrinks and fails to pressurize. I spoke to a geezer at Coleman who sent me a few leather pump washers soaked in oil that do not shrink in cold weather. No problems since I did that.

I also have a few of these new blow torch propane/butane stoves that were selling for $5 each. So I scored a few. Fine for boiling water but a bit of a hotspot for anyone who cooks real food. But I have managed to cook “food” with it the lowest flame possible. If you like food that cooks in the bag ala freeze dried “Stroganoff Glop” and “Anything Almondine” and your just rehydrating its perfect. You can find identical clones selling on Amazon for $5 to $25
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EN ... UTF8&psc=1

To get around the hotspot blow torch and actually cook food I also picked up one of these inexpensive stoves with a larger burner on top. It uses more fuel but distributes the flame. https://www.amazon.com/Housweety-Lightw ... 83&sr=8-42

I tried making a couple of alcohol stoves out of soda cans and a store bought model. For me they do not put out enough heat for what I cook. I prefer white gas and propane. But they cant be beat for light weight.

I also used a wood burner backpacker stove. The idea is to not carry fuel. It worked well but I disliked the soot on the pans. I tried coating them with soap and other ideas but I just did not like the soot. I know lots of people like these but not a good match for me. Same for open campfire cooking - Just throw a slab-O-protein on the grill. But stuck with stoves for several reasons including less carcinogens in my food!

There are so many options available there is something for everyone these day!

=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:24 am

If you use any liquid fuel, be **very** careful not spill it while in use!

Obviously.

Do not add fuel while it's hot, much less going.

Again in such a limited space, stand up and get outside to cook!
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:26 am

I use the Jet Boil whenever I backpack. Probably had the same one for 20 years at least

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Back packing stoves.

Postby Pinstriper » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:39 pm

If I am just going overnight to be at a fishing location early without getting up at 2am, I will use a tablet stove and gi canteen cup to heat water for a bag of mountain house, oatmeal, cup of tea etc. I will also cook a can of soup or ravioli or such right in the can.

This is actually happening tonite, in fact.

Solid fuel tablets are easy, cheap, and clean. Unlike propane you cant adjust the flame or turn it off early. Depending on design you may not be able to with an alcohol stove. Solid fuel also makes a dandy campfire starter.

If I am going for a few days like a hunting trip, I have more pots and pans what I use with a 2 burner propane stove or my propane grill, as I am bringing bacon, steak, sausage, real eggs, etc.

I also have a rocket stove what runs on sticks and twigs, but having played with it and the resultant sooty mess, it has been relegated to emergency use only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:26 pm

I use my MSR Dragonfly with Dragontamer cap a lot. White gas but i love the adjustability of the burner.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Return to General Discussion