I Hate Thieves!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

I Hate Thieves!

Postby Tomterrific » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:51 am

My camper was broken into. They took any little thing of value. $5 lights, free harbor freight flashlights, extension cords, my new canopy side wall, a bungee net, ball bungees, hatchet, coffee pot, thermos and a bunch of other little stuff. And the two big items, a 19" tv and my Coleman gas lantern. I am sure more little stuff is missing. It took awhile to gather up little stuff and we will miss it.

It's not the money, it's the violation!

Thanks for letting me vent
Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Re: I Hate Thieves!

Postby blentz » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:56 am

Yeah it’s crap. Ya live in the city people screw with your stuff if not locked and hidden. Live in the country, people screw with your stuff when you are at work.
So what can you do besides shoot them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blentz
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:06 am

Tomterrific wrote:My camper was broken into. They took any little thing of value. $5 lights, free harbor freight flashlights, extension cords, my new canopy side wall, a bungee net, ball bungees, hatchet, coffee pot, thermos and a bunch of other little stuff. And the two big items, a 19" tv and my Coleman gas lantern. I am sure more little stuff is missing. It took awhile to gather up little stuff and we will miss it.

It's not the money, it's the violation!

Thanks for letting me vent
Tt

Where did it happen? Home? In the boonies? Campground?

T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:21 am

It happened at home, in my driveway. The thief went into the camper, closed the door and wormed his way through all the stuff at his leasure, packing off what he wanted. Just saw he took all the clothes pins! I just installed the little TV as my wife retires in two weeks and we wanted an extended trip to Michigan. He took my collection of carribiners too. Cheap stuff but useful when camping. A pain to replace it all.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:06 am

Tomterrific wrote:It happened at home, in my driveway. The thief went into the camper, closed the door and wormed his way through all the stuff at his leasure, packing off what he wanted. Just saw he took all the clothes pins! I just installed the little TV as my wife retires in two weeks and we wanted an extended trip to Michigan. He took my collection of carribiners too. Cheap stuff but useful when camping. A pain to replace it all.

Tt

Sheeeeeesh.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GTS225 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:56 pm

Sounds like a bunch of small stuff that couldn't be pawned , or bring any cash at a garage sale. Just the TV and lantern might fetch a few bucks for a "tweeker". Neighborhood kids, maybe?
Did they do any interior damage?

Roger
GTS225
The 300 Club

Postby Tomterrific » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:07 am

I have noted no damage. The TV was removed from its mount with a screwdriver so they came prepared. I once noticed a door ajar on the camper last year so somebody snuck a look that night. If I am going to keep stuff in the camper
I will just have to keep it locked tight. No more trusting humans I guess. It is just not in my nature to think like a thief and protect myself. This has me in a dark place I don't like. But I've been doing nice things for strangers and reading Tim Dorsey for revenge. :-)

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby working on it » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:35 am

Tomterrific wrote:... No more trusting humans I guess. It is just not in my nature to think like a thief and protect myself. This has me in a dark place I don't like. But I've been doing nice things for strangers....

* I'm nice, too, to a point; but I see the dark side of people out there, and it's just getting worse. Where it comes to dealing with sketchy personality types (loud, obnoxious, pushy, shifty) I just avoid their company, but when it comes to the really bad sorts (trespassers, thieves, masked/professional-protestors, etc.), then the best thing is to put them out of your misery. I've got locks on everything, strategic placement of protective equipment, and keep everything behind "no trespassing" signs; I've given the potential problem-makers plenty of warning, so what happens next, is on them. If I'm not home, my neighbors pretty-much have my back, and when I camp, I'm surrounded by like-minded people, mostly.
trust no one.jpg
trust no one.jpg (40.92 KiB) Viewed 2636 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Bill n Robi » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:26 pm

Try living in Calif - if it isn't over $950 then it is a misdemeanor TICKET - no jail time, maybe a day of community service after the 10th time.

Our old area, sad to say 3 miles from the border - 650 vehicles broken into this year - within 2 miles of our home - no police report, just submit online form. Nothing done even for stolen cars. They are over the border before a report can be made.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby Tomterrific » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:25 pm

Some good news for me. I really hated losing my old Coleman lantern that I got running. When I fix something it becomes a bit special to me. Well a couple of friends heard about my misfortune and gave me three old lanterns! I am so thankful. I just got one of the lanterns functioning this afternoon. Works great! The oldest and my favorite is a 1967 Coleman 228F Big Hat but it is going to take a bunch more work.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:18 pm

If possible, back your camper up against the garage door or side of house so that the door can't be opened all the way from the outside. It means you have to pull the vehicle forward a bit when YOU want to go in it, but it works. Also good for a truck with a canopy top because then the tailgate and/or window half cannot be opened all the way for someone to get in, or if they get in a side window, hard to get out. Sorry you lost the little stuff.
Joanie 8)
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby Tomterrific » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:48 pm

Thanks for the tip Joanne. I'm getting over the insult of being violated. You can't believe how dark I got. Fishhook curtains, wire snares, poison whiskey..... I don't want to dwell on the bad side of life, it's tough enough as it is.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby bdosborn » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:45 pm

It wont stop thieves but at least the camera will show what happened:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:51 pm

P.S. The cams are good for keeping an eye on K, F and C too:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion