Why a bathroom tent?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Why a bathroom tent?

Postby greygoos » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:56 pm

TimC wrote:
TimC wrote:I'm with the sawdust pot crowd for sure...

Well, last night I tried to sign up on a site called boondockerswelcome.com

Seemed like a good way to offer my property to travelers and also to find private property where folks invite boondockers to stay. It probably still is, just thought I would pass on my experience trying to sign up. As I mentioned I use a sawdust toilet. I have no running water (carry a 2 gallon cooler), so, no grey water tank, no black water tank. I was rejected by boondockerswelcome.com because I don't have holding tanks. I explained to the woman in several different ways what a sawdust toilet is and how it is less of an environmental impact than the RV alternative, but, she rejected my application.

So, maybe a good site, maybe not. If you use it don't tell the administrator you use anything but a flush toilet (she says porta-potti is OK). And be up front with your hosts. Tell them you use an alternative toilet and how you dispose of the waste.

BTW, she assumed I was not "self-contained" by asking me about a picture of my TD in the boon docking site on my property. She said she was either going to tell me someone violated their self contained rule or I was. Is boondockerswelcom run by one of those folks we often run into at campgrounds...?

Have you tried Hipcamp?
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby TimC » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:43 pm

greygoos wrote: Have you tried Hipcamp?

I haven't looked at that one, but I will. I''m currently trying to figure out one called "FreeRoam" that looks very comprehensive. I just haven't spent enough time trying to figure out how to navigate it yet...

Tim
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Squigie » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:33 pm

Pinstriper wrote:In all seriously, you want something like this. I chose this off the list just because they had the picture of how easy it is to uncoil and set up by itself. (Coiling it back down to pack is a different story but once you grock it, its really is simple)

WolfWise Easy Pop Up Privacy Shower Tent Portable Outdoor Sun Shelter Camp Toilet Changing Dressing Room https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FXNRCWM/re ... hDbS077QZH

A little late to the party, but I wanted to add:

I have TWO of the exact model linked above.
Not because I like them, but because they were given to me by the original purchaser. The first one was torn from its staking loops by a ~30 mph wind gust.
The second one (a replacement for the first) was given to me after another wind gust hit and folded the whole tent around the my sister-n-law (and then tore two staking loops) while she was doing her business. "It smeared condensation of 'whatever' is on the walls all over me! And then it fell over and let everyone see me on the pot! I'm never using one of these again! ...But I thought you might be able to use this to fix the other one."

My brother told her there was no way their current camping situation could handle (her request of) a wooden outhouse added to the pile of gear, so she bought a third WolfWise from Walmart. (Very, very similar, but not exactly the same.)
She had my brother stake as usual, but also tie that one at the top and stake it in three directions, so it couldn't fold over.
Yea... Well, it turns out that you're better off letting them blow in the wind than try to keep them rigid.
Big gust (~40-45 mph) ripped through out camp site last October.
Suddenly, we hear their son yelling, "Mom! Mom! Hey, mom!"
Sister-in-law answers, "Yes, dear?" ... as everyone's heads swivel around.
"Hi mom! I can see you while I poop!" ... with a wave. :goodmorning:
:lol:
The wind gust blew the door out, since the tent wasn't allowed to fold and collapse.

I can't say that I'm much of a fan, but will acknowledge that folding over / collapsing / whatever you prefer to call it never caused a potty to tip over.
Even with two of them on hand to potentially make a reinforced version out of, my wife and I still don't really care. We aren't bashful and never use campgrounds. So, the potty is usually placed somewhere in the open, with a great view.
I'll probably never do anything with these two potty tents.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion