Axle-less Suspension?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Axle-less Suspension?

Postby JuneBug » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:28 pm

For some reason, Pinterest thought the Timbren Axle-less Suspension might be of interest. It could be.

Is it a thing that would work with a tear drop trailer? If so, what might be the advantage/disadvantage over, say, a torsion axle. This looks simple, while a torsion axle looks complicated, although the torsion axle looks to be cheaper online.

Timbren® Axle-Less Suspension - 3,500 lb Capacity/Pair $665.96

Here's something called a half axle; is this the same as axle-less suspension?
FlexiRide Adjustable Torsion Half Axles with 5-4.5 Inch Bolt Circle Hubs - 2,000 lbs. Capacity

And more to the point, would it work with a Harbor Freight or Northern Tools trailer?
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Re: Axle-less Suspension?

Postby Modstock » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:54 pm

While looking at cargo trailers, I was told the timberan axles are warrantied alot more if bumped into a curb or off-road use. Basically they bend easier than a straight axle.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby working on it » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:58 pm

* There's been a lot of discussion about Timbren axle-less suspensions on this forum for several years...how'd you miss it?
earliest TnTTT mention of Timbren.JPG
earliest TnTTT mention of Timbren.JPG (22.76 KiB) Viewed 1719 times

* If you have the money and the need for one (heavy trailer, offroad usage, desire for independent suspension, though a torsion axle has that too), it's probably the way to go. I wouldn't hesitate to put one on a HF, or NT trailer, if I was so inclined; but I'm old school, and stayed with my familiar leaf-spring axle, for several reasons, though I did add a Timbren-esque, hollow bump stop component to my suspension, so perhaps my next set-up (if ever) might use a Timbren.

* Edit: as I said, I'm old-school, and have used leaf spring axles exclusively, had hangers tear loose, spring leaves break, and had axles overloaded to the point that they bent into acute negative camber. But, all of those problems were fixable, and with parts locally sourced most of the time, within hours. I've only had to outsource when I replaced the entire small axle I had on my TTT, with a made-to-order 3500 lb Dexter. When I had previously decided to replace both of my axles on the tandem axle car-hauler (after a 10 ton front-loader bent both axles), I only had to drive by a parts dealer on the way to where my trailer was, and bought all the parts needed at once, out of stock on hand. Probably couldn't do that with a Timbren, at least not here in N.Texas. And, when I put together my TTT's Dexter set-up, I chose 3k lb springs from a wide assortment that TSC, Northern Tool, and Redneck Trailer Supply all had in stock, within 10 miles of my house, each about $25 (at that time). I could've changed them out within an hour, if I had needed to. Parts availability is great, using leaf springs.
Last edited by working on it on Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:54 pm

They are popular with the off-road crowd. I think their popularity is a bit vogue.

You need to align them or they'll eat tires. There's a member here that hasn't been able to accomplish that with his trailer. Abd they have limited 2" of travel.

I thought long and hard about them but I chose to go with a Dextor Torflex torsion axle. Tried and true. That's what the military runs on all of their utility trailers.

To me, traditional springs bounce just like springs.

But talking axles on this forum is damn near like talking politics. :frightened: :? :shock: :R :stompspam:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:29 pm

as much trouble as I had had with my other tear - water leaks/damage, poor rear hatch fitting - etc., this new one has been "great" except for one thing = this one has leaf springs and that "one" thing I do miss from the other one is the 'Dexter torsion Bar' suspension - Now there is one improvement I have done to make things just a bit more livable with these leafs and that's the 'car' tires that I put on to replace the (Chinese made) 'stiff sided' ST trailer tires = which has made for a much better ride. :thumbsup: (Had also put these same tires on the other trailer which had helped it's ride also.) A Dexter Axle maybe a 'project' for the future (Just my opinion on these suspension 'politics' ............... :thinking: ) Take care
gudmund
500 Club

Re: Axle-less Suspension

Postby KTM_Guy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:25 pm

I have Timbrens on my teardrop. Our sees mostly off road use. But that means a lot of road miles to get to the trails. They are heavy and not real easy to install. They make it easy to run big tires on your camper. My plan was to use the same tire and wheel that I had on my Jeep. I planed to be able to run 35” tires and measured a friends 35’s to make sure I had enough room. I just got new 34” tires for the Jeep and put one on the teardrop and it is questionable if it will fit. Ends up my 34’s are about 3/4” bigger than the 35’s I measured off of. I had some alignment issues I think I have figured out. I recently read a few cases with the Torflex self-destructing on heavily washboarded roads. I wouldn’t put them on a HF trailer, that’s like buying that’s like buying a Ferrari and putting cheap discount tires on it.

If you are planning on moderate to heavy off road use, and building a custom frame go with the Timbren. If not go with a torsion axle.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby JuneBug » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:07 pm

Thanks, all, for responding. This is just the right amount and type of information! We now know we don't need axle-less suspension!
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion