A Small Trip

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

A Small Trip

Postby Westy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:02 am

I am about to head off across Australia on a small trip. I live in Bunbury, Western Australia. My youngest daughter lives in Australia's capital city of Canberra, 3847 kms (that is 2390.406 miles) from where I live. My good wife is already in Canberra, having flown there about 4 weeks ago.
I set off on Monday morning with my ute (a Mazda BT50) and my hopper trailer. This will be the second time that the trailer has done this journey. I expect to arrive in Canberra around Friday or Saturday 26/27July. I will take a few deep breaths, pack my lover into the ute and return to Bunbury via Lake Eyre which is in the middle of Australia. The lake is usually dry and a vast salt pan but this year, due to unprecedented rain more that 2000kms away, is full and filled with fish, birdlife (including thousands of pelicans).
The roads in the area are mostly dirt and towns (if they can be called that) are hundreds of kilometres apart.
I cannot wait to get underway.
Screenshot from 2019-07-17 19-26-57.png
Screenshot from 2019-07-17 19-26-57.png (672.52 KiB) Viewed 295 times
Westy
Teardrop Builder

Re: A Small Trip

Postby GTS225 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:36 am

Westy, if that's a "small" trip, I can't help but wonder what you'd call a big trip. (A drive to the moon,maybe? :D )

Either way, that's an adventure that you should take pics of along the way, and share a few with the rest of us.

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby Westy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:57 am

If you have a look at the map, it shows South Australia. At about 2 o'clock there is a largish blue lake depicted. That is Lake Eyre. Just below is is a smaller blue area which is Lake Eyre South. Below that again is Lake Torrens, which I saw about 30 years ago with a vast body of water. I have never seen Lake Eyre, with or without water. A bit more info here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Eyre

It is going to be epic (as my grandkids would opine)
Westy
Teardrop Builder

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:59 am

Westy wrote:I am about to head off across Australia on a small trip.

Wow! That looks like fun!

What is the weather like this time of year?

Best of luck, and have a safe journey.

Tom
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Westy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:05 am

GTS225 wrote:Westy, if that's a "small" trip, I can't help but wonder what you'd call a big trip. (A drive to the moon,maybe? :D )

Roger

In Australia, we often refer to distance travelled to get to a destination as a sum of the number of cans of beer that one would consume in the course of the journey.

So a trip of 100kms (60 miles) would need about 4 cans, 200 kms, by extension, requires 8 cans. When asked how far it is to a destination, the reply would be "Dunno, four cans, maybe".

Unfortunately, policing and stiff penalties have removed all of our small pleasures.

The trip to Canberra would be, usually, about a 3 carton drive (a carton contains 24 cans). :beer: posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=1250744#
Westy
Teardrop Builder

Postby Westy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:10 am

Tom&Shelly wrote:
Westy wrote:I am about to head off across Australia on a small trip.

Wow! That looks like fun!

What is the weather like this time of year?

Best of luck, and have a safe journey.

Tom

At the moment 8.45pm in Bunbury WA it is fine and 9 deg C but rain is forecast for tomorrow and the next 5 days. In Canberra today, it was -2 degrees C(28.4 deg F) overnight and about 6 degrees C during the day. My wife is frozen.
Westy
Teardrop Builder

Postby GTS225 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:11 am

That's a heck of a way to measure distance. :beer: ;)

Here's a trip that one of the members of "my" T-bucket board is driving through as we speak.

https://nationaltbucketalliance.com/bb/ ... f=5&t=4169

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby Westy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:20 am

Wow. What an experience. Some unbelievable scenery in those photos.
I have long been envious of the rivers and lakes that abound in the US. We just do not have them here in Oz. We are such a dry continent, but then we have some attractions that are not found anywhere else in the world. I live in the SW of West Australia and we have jarrah and karri forests that are unique to this part of the world. They are found nowhere else on the planet. And that is pretty special.
Westy
Teardrop Builder

Return to General Discussion