Axle Placement did a formula work out for you ?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Axle Placement did a formula work out for you ?

Postby irhutch » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:46 am

20190902_094313.jpg
20190902_094313.jpg (29.88 KiB) Viewed 1675 times

Ready to place the axle. I know that the proper way is to have a finished loaded teardrop, weigh the trailer, check the tongue weight and then you will know if the axle is in the right position for the right weight distribution . But I am completing the frame first then will go on to finishing the rest. I plan to weld brackets to the frame then bolt the axle to the brackets. I have read of people using the 60/40 rule of placing the axle 40% from the rear of the trailer box. I have heard of measuring the box of the trailer which would not include the tongue then for every foot of length move the axle to the rear of center of the box 1 inch. The latter is what I am using as I have had people tell me that worked out for them.

My trailer is a 5'x10' with a 60 inch tongue on which I will put a box of some sort. So I am setting the axle 10 inches to the rear of the center of the trailer frame, again my understanding is you don't measure the tongue. I checked my commercially made motorcycle trailer which is 9 feet long with a 60" tongue and a box on the tongue, using this formula I measured 9 inches back from the center of the trailer box and that is exactly where the axle is and it tows great.

Doing the percentage math on my teardrop frame, 10" back from the center of the box places my axle 41.6% from the rear of the trailer box.

My question for anyone who used this method, either the 60/40 or the 1" to the rear of center for every foot of length of the box, did it work out for you ? If not what did you end up with ? I might be overthinking this but I would hate to have to move my brackets in the end.
irhutch
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Axle Placement did a formula work out for you ?

Postby TimC » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:04 am

I used 65%/35%. It resulted in a well balanced Benroy style. I didn't include the tongue length. Or, maybe I did with the variation from the 60/40 rule. Anyway, whatever I seem to add to the tongue box or galley I still have between 160# and 180# of tongue weight, so, happy with the results. If I load up the cabin I try to balance stuff over the axle. Heavy tent and fridge over the axle, lighter stuff in front and in back of that.

My total weight mostly loaded for the road is 1450#. It's a 5x8 custom made trailer with a four foot tongue. Not sure what other info might be helpful. I did add corner jacks on the back below the galley corners, but, I have yet to use them.

Tim
Last edited by TimC on Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:21 am

Run your thoughts against this.

https://www.engineersedge.com/calculators/trailer-weight-balance.htm

See where you land, then use some common sense as to how you believe you will actually load.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:34 am

Axle placement is also driven by your design. The doors have to clear the fenders. This is the same axle placement on my existing teardrop and my current build. That's a 120" frame with a 48" tongue. No bobbing and weaving.

And door placement is (nearly) everything in a teardrop. They need to be located where your hips are while laying down. Otherwise, it takes more effort to enter/egress.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:11 am

I've made 6 of the same 5' x 10' teardrop design and tweaked each of them to what I considered best in my opinion.
My profile is Grant Whip's 5' x 10' Lil' Bear and I also went with his chassis recommendations.
What I came up with is an axle center point 48" from the rear of a 120" body or the 60/40 rule.
The chassis sets in from the rear 6" so those above measurements don't apply.
It has a 12" deep tongue box on it, the center of the coupler (where the 2" ball sits) is 42" beyond the cabin front.
The doors have 31 1/2" wide openings.
When we add 2 bikes on the rear with the rack it makes no difference.
I have towed it with a 99 Chevy Blazer, 06 Chevy Trailblazer, 55 Chevy Belair, 93 Chevy Silverado pick up with no problems. :thumbsup:
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby John61CT » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:30 am

Try to design so that water tanks, propane, batteries can be located fore, aft or near the axle as needed for tuning.

Weight on ball should end up 8-13% of total, loaded wet.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby working on it » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:25 pm

from another thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=70797 a year ago
working on it wrote:***** About placing your axle at 60% front/rear 40%, that is the normal setting. That also assumes that loading will be balanced in that proportion as well. My squareback TTT, had the axle at the original 60/40 it was manufactured with, but I goofed when adding 12" forward and 24" rearward to the originally 60/40 ratio'ed, 50" x 60" small trailer I converted; I should've added a proportionate length to maintain the favored "magic ratio", but I had created a 54.6/45.4 ratio instead. And, I compounded the error by putting all my really heavy items at the time (generator, battery, cooler, Aquatainer, Coleman gear + fuel) back there, while the only heavy items forward was the spare tire (bolted to the front wall), and a small overhead shelf behind the front slope of the roof. I think my first actual weighing of the tongue weight was zero lbs.
***** I had left room on the tongue for a tongue box, but couldn't find one at the right price, and the right shape I wanted, so in the interim, I compensated by using a Husky diamond-plate (black) toolbox, bolted to the tongue. I moved the battery into it, plus as many tools, spare parts% hardware that I could fit into it (shielding the battery terminals, of course). That made my tongue weight 40 lbs. Again, I compensated for that by carrying heavy camping gear inside the cabin, and making a Weight Distributing arrangement, using only one spring-bar, instead of two,and the hitch head as I used it, for pulling my big trailers.
***** I finally bought a nice tongue box, mounted it to a sliding platform (for blocking-in the spare, and to gain added tongue weight), stuffed the battery & spares from the earlier box, then added lots more electrical supplies and tools, until it was full. I finally reached 10% tongue weight, and the added 3 feet of tongue box forward of the cabin, made the EFFECTIVE balance ratio become 67/33, as well.
***** Recently, prior to my last trip, I added a single shelf on a rack over my front slope/tongue box, followed by a second shelf, and a sideways scissor jack mounted to the tongue, which doesn't change the ratio in terms of length, but it certainly added more tongue weight, now at 303 lbs (trailer total weight is 2065), when loaded up. Now, I don't have to carry heavy gear inside the cabin (now they're on the racks, or in the truck bed), and I might not have to use the WD hitch system anymore (it's almost impossible to back up while using it on a short trailer), also due to recently adding a drop-shank, to lower the ball height.
***** So, by starting out with the magic 60/40 ratio, you'll probably need less, or no, adjustments to get your weight balance correct, for a safer towing experience, without having to make major alterations that I had to, to achieve the desired results.

* Since then, I've added another storage rack in front, a storage tube on top, and two side racks. Even with re-distribution of loading, I figure that my EFFECTIVE balance has grown to 70/30 or so (which I'll need to verify, by actually weighing the trailer again ...last done in 2013). The trailer now has so much forward weight, that it's a good thing that my tow vehicle is still 3x the trailer weight (or adverse steering problems might surface). As is my usual custom, I overshot my "perfect balance" goal from years back.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to General Discussion