Sale today at Joanne Fabric!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Sale today at Joanne Fabric!

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:11 pm

50% off today only. Sorry for the late post, I just got back. Duck cloth at $5 a yard! Real nice stuff!

You may be able to do a online and ship to store.. Don't know..

Grabbed Duck cloth and ripstop nylon while I could!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Sale today at Joanne Fabric!

Postby me&z » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:26 am

Download the Joann Fabrics app and you'll get coupons constantly. 40% is normal (weekly). 50% is less frequent. But these are only for a single item and only if it is not already on sale (most frustrating when you can't use the 50% because it is already on 30% sale)

However, if you aren't in a rush and track the coupons, you can catch a good deal. Yesterday I grabbed 6 yards of $12.99/yard fabric that I've been eyeing for a month with a 60% coupon. Now I just have to hurry up and get my MoB dress made by next weekend. (No pressure).
me&z
Teardrop Master

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:53 pm

me&z wrote:Download the Joann Fabrics app and you'll get coupons constantly. 40% is normal (weekly). 50% is less frequent. But these are only for a single item and only if it is not already on sale (most frustrating when you can't use the 50% because it is already on 30% sale)

However, if you aren't in a rush and track the coupons, you can catch a good deal. Yesterday I grabbed 6 yards of $12.99/yard fabric that I've been eyeing for a month with a 60% coupon. Now I just have to hurry up and get my MoB dress made by next weekend. (No pressure).

Very good suggestion for all! I did so. Seems the Doorbuster sale went to 60% today. Just bought more needles!
Bought online and free pickup at the store. So cool!

Let me ask you..

First: I assume the 110/18 means strengthen/puncture sizing.. 110 being the overall strength of the needle and the 18 being the actual hole in the fabric. Am I even close on this??

Second being: I'm working with 9oz duck cloth, about a 330 weave, and breaking my 100/18 needles... Was hoping to jump up to a 120, but sourcing seems tough.. Just bought some 110/18's.
What would you suggest for a needle?
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby me&z » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:52 pm

Actually, the 2 numbers are the European and American needles sizes.

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/sewing- ... es-4122019

110/18 ought to be good enough. But perhaps one labeled for jeans might help. Generally the staff at a Joann's are sewers (I've always suspected that they work there for the employee discount). When you go into pick up the needles you ordered, ask for suggestions.

Make sure everything is working correctly with a lighter weight fabric. You might need to loosen the thread tension for the heavier thread and cotton duck. Also make sure you don't have a lot of lint around the bobbin from previous projects.
me&z
Teardrop Master

Postby Squigie » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:57 pm

I love that 'Duck cloth'. I'll have to see if my store has the sale going on, and if it's still good.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby me&z » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:18 pm

The 60% doorbuster coupon was only valid Thus-Sat.

But the app currently has 40% and 50% coupons. Unless you need something urgently, don't ever buy at Joann's for full price. 60% are rare but 40% and 50% coupons show up regularly. And fabrics go on 30% discount all the time. It won't be all fabrics, just a category. Looks as if flannels are on sale (50%) this week. Might have missed it already, but fleece is usually on sale in the fall too.

I've been told that the app coupons, the mailer coupons, and the email coupons are not all identical in a given week. I got tired of being flooded with emails each week, so I ditched the email and dropped the paper mailer because it is just a waste most of the time, so I can't verify if this is true or not. But if you want LOTS of Joann coupons, sign up for all 3.
me&z
Teardrop Master

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:24 pm

me&z wrote:Actually, the 2 numbers are the European and American needles sizes.

Thank you! I never understood that and wondered. The Gal at Joann didn't know..

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/sewing- ... es-4122019

Nice! Thank you!

110/18 ought to be good enough. But perhaps one labeled for jeans might help. Generally the staff at a Joann's are sewers (I've always suspected that they work there for the employee discount). When you go into pick up the needles you ordered, ask for suggestions.

I did ask them. The gals there are very willing to help. What I'm doing was beyond what they typically do. Hey, what happens when a Guy shows up in a fabric store I guess. :lol:

Make sure everything is working correctly with a lighter weight fabric. You might need to loosen the thread tension for the heavier thread and cotton duck. Also make sure you don't have a lot of lint around the bobbin from previous projects.

Ends up the #110 Leather needle has worked the best! Again thank you for the input!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:28 pm

Just for laughs.. I had no idea there was a Zipper Foot! What a cool idea! It would have helped so much when sewing in the paracord for the keder rail!
Meet my new little friend.. The Zipper Foot! :thumbsup:

A magnetic guide? Really?? Where have you been hiding all this time? :shock:
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion