New Camp Chef Oven with Thermostat

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

New Camp Chef Oven with Thermostat

Postby MJWBuffalo » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:19 pm

I did a quick search and didn't see anything about this yet so I figured I would post a thread!

Camp Chef's 2 burner range with Oven has just been improved with a thermostatic control. Set it for 350 and it will self regulate.

Not a ton of reviews out there yet on the interwebs...Has anyone tried it yet?

Matt
MJWBuffalo
Teardrop Builder

Re: New Camp Chef Oven with Thermostat

Postby noseoil » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:52 am

We use the older one & it just has a knob to regulate the oven heat, similar to the regular burner control knob for the stove top. It works, but not very well. There's very little regulation with the old system. You can sort of guess, but we hang an oven thermometer off of the rack to see what's really happening inside the box. Their temp gauge is at the top of the oven & isn't worth a damn, since it reads hot all the time.

I'll be curious to see if & how the thermostat version runs. Ours is good enough for cookies & cinnamon rolls, but it's not really good for doing real baking.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:57 pm

I found one on Amazon called Camp Chef Professional for $329.00 & free shipping which I feel is not worth the extra money.
The original one goes for $204.00 & free shipping on Amazon.
I've put one in each of the 6 teardrops I've built and we love them.
Yes it takes some fiddling with the heat, but our dutch oven contribution to the pot lucks we attend, there's nothing left in the pot.
We use a Lodge pre-seasoned 3 quart Cast iron combo cooker as a Dutch oven for the Camp Chef Oven. :thumbsup:
People seem to eat up my wife's baked chocolate chip cookies from our oven, I like the burnt ones ;)
This is camping, it's not like you use it every day, but it's up to you.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Aguyfromohio » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:13 am

We bought the Furrion 17 inch range from etrailer.
The wife insisted she needs to bake cookies and pies and bread in camp, and who am I to turn down fresh baked food? :D ;) :wine:

We looked at the Camp Chef unit. Since we built ours into the galley it seemed worth the extra money to get one made to build in easily, with the glass cover on the stove top to get back the counter space sometimes.

Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby MJWBuffalo » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:32 am

Thanks for the responses. I was curious if the price difference was worth it between the previous high end and the new one.

I am also a little concerned that there aren't a ton of reviews out there yet. I have a few months before I need to pull the trigger so if anyone has any experience with the new one, let me know!

Matt
MJWBuffalo
Teardrop Builder

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:39 pm

I can’t speak for the new one, but when I started using an external instant read thermometer my oven stopped burning stuff. A thermostat would be great, but the price seems a bit steep for baking cinnamon rolls 3 times a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion