PMF flooring?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

PMF flooring?

Postby MatBirch » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:05 pm

Trying to settle on a cool idea for the flooring on our standee build. I had planned on vinyl, but the more I look into it, the more I don’t want to do it. To do it right, I’d need to add a layer of underpayment plywood and all the filling and sanding, etc. I once again thought of the canvas floor covering that my ex made for the kitchen. It went at least seven years of daily use in the kitchen with 2 dogs, and 2 toddlers.
I think a quick sanding, maybe fill the seams a bit, and glue it down. I doubt I would put near as many coats as I did on the exterior, as I’d want some texture. It could be stenciled, striped, whatever...

Thoughts?
MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Re: PMF flooring?

Postby John61CT » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:36 am

What is currently under there for structural support?
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:00 am

No reason that shouldn’t work … the Old timers will remember canvas “ floor cloths from the distant past … and they were painted / decorated too … :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby MatBirch » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:12 am

John61CT wrote:What is currently under there for structural support?

I’ve got 3/4 tongue and groove OSB subfloor on top of the trailer frame. On the bottom side I have about 2” of 2# expanding urethane foam coated with commercial undercoating.
There will be NO moisture migrating upwards, and the floor itself is rock solid.
MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby John61CT » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:16 am

a rubber like horse stall mats, or gym-floor puzzle tiling adds a bit of give and warmth

or rugs

all wear well, and pretty easy to pull up for the occasional deep clean
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby swoody126 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:46 am

¿ painted with porch n deck enamel ?

used2waz used on the decks of boats for waterproofing and protection

'twould preclude splinters/checking n seal out weather related issues

¿ WHY KNOT ? !

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby MatBirch » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:00 pm

swoody126 wrote:¿ painted with porch n deck enamel ?

used2waz used on the decks of boats for waterproofing and protection

'twould preclude splinters/checking n seal out weather related issues

¿ WHY KNOT ? !

Ya, something along those lines. When my ex made that canvas floor cloth, she just used regular craft store acrylic paints for the design work, then topcoated it with Varathane Diamond waterborne clear floor finish. Held up fantastic.

sw
MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MatBirch » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:09 pm

Ya know...
The more I think about this, the more I think I don’t even need the “F” part of PMF. Fiberglass. I don’t need structure. It doesn’t need to be hard as nails, like I did on the exterior. I wonder about installing it like a car headliner with spray adhesive. I could control wrinkles easily. Then just paint it. I wouldn’t have any of the crusty feel that comes from the 50/50 glue wash down. I think it would be easier to paint as well. It be far more flexible, allowing the trailer to move under it without cracking.
As long as it’s sealed, and the edges at the doors are secured and protected, it should suffer no harm. It would also make replacement easy (er).

??? :thinking:
MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby HarryL » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:16 pm

In my Standee, I laid down some some of those interlocking foam play pads that you can fine at Lowes or Home Depot. Their about 24" square and very inexpensive.Their light, easily cut with a knife,easy to install and help keep the floor warm.

Just a alternative idea.
HarryL
Teardrop Builder

Postby MatBirch » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:33 pm

HarryL wrote:In my Standee, I laid down some some of those interlocking foam play pads that you can fine at Lowes or Home Depot. Their about 24" square and very inexpensive.Their light, easily cut with a knife,easy to install and help keep the floor warm.

Just a alternative idea.

That would be easy and inexpensive, but SWMBO insists on cute.
MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby John61CT » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:57 am

MatBirch wrote:The more I think about this, the more I think I don’t even need the “F” part of PMF. Fiberglass. I don’t need structure.

Well that's the point, PMF includes no fiberglass, supposed to be a cheaper replacement

The usual technique is to add tensile strength as well as waterproofing.

Abrasion and puncture resistance are not included, except (usually minimally) by the outer paint layer.

Porch paint adds a bit of the former, but not the latter if the core is foam.

MatBirch wrote:I’ve got 3/4 tongue and groove OSB subfloor on top of the trailer frame. On the bottom side I have about 2” of 2# expanding urethane foam coated with commercial undercoating.
There will be NO moisture migrating upwards, and the floor itself is rock solid.
If you are just covering a wood floor, not sure what canvas is buying you except potentially aesthetics.

Just use a sealant coating / paint designed for hard wearing floors, thousands of choices will do the job.

Then if desired a removable padding / rug for extra comfort, quiet, insulation maybe aesthetics
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:06 am

We went to the carpet store and got a nice scrap piece for 20 bucks … :thumbsup: Done !!!
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to General Discussion