Just for a fun thrrad.......how did you all do the mattress?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Just for a fun thrrad.......how did you all do the mattr

Postby tony.latham » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:01 am

..question how did you all when you built your teardrops get the mattress through the door???

We buy them from the Foam Factory. 5" of medium density foam with a 3" memory topper. With a cover. Super mattresses (extra dreamy).

They come vacuumed down and easy to fit in the door. Take a bit of time to fully expand inside. Easy-peasy.

Tony

P.S. How much snow do you have over there, Slow? We've got 2' with more on the way tonight. I'm running out of places to put it.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:26 am

I’m considering copying what Will has done and buying a truck sleeper mattress, then using the extra cabin width for more cabinets. That will leave an entry foyer spot, that can also be a doggie sleeping space.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:01 pm

* Like Tony did, I left my mattress rolled-up, and inserted it easily thru my 26" wide door. Later, I added a second one to lay on top of the other (both Ikea twins). However, during several revisions/alterations I had to get my wife to help maneuever them in and out (though 32" high, it is angled at the top, and the door has an overhead shelf just above it, so it needed some persuasion).

* After several changes in my sleeping (always just me inside), I figured that 1-2 foam mattresses, and sheets, blankets, and comforters were just too much of a hassle to clean & straighten-up, I switched over to using a quarter-fold foam mattress (with integral cover), and two Coleman sleeping bags (one for 20 degree weather, the other for 50 degree weather). I did retain the two excellent king-size Serta? pillows from before, though.

* This new arrangement is quite sufficient for me, easier to maintain, convertible to a semi-chair, and the firm mattress suits my bad back better. The two Ikea mattresses were bought to try to entice my wife to use the camper sometime, but she opted out anyway.
folding mattress.JPG
folding mattress.JPG (71.76 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:33 pm

slowcowboy wrote:I would add a fun photo of wills flintstone teardrop and his trap door and feet through the flour if there was a working way to add photos to the forum..took it at walk the winds last summer when he was getting up out of bed.. slow.i am sneaky with a camera..

That would be funny to see! His standie teardrop is unique.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Cikan Vuz » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:41 pm

I built this Image

and then it will have this as the mattress on it. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

I have tried it out, so comfy.. I do use an IKEA bed slat . and I will be getting cot sheets
Cikan Vuz
Teardrop Builder

Postby ArkansasDon » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:37 am

our entry doors are 24" wide, we ordered a custom queen short 7" thick mattress that came in a box rolled up & vaccum seal. It was no problem installing it. Getting it out may be a some what of a problem.
Attachments
SAM_1359.JPG
SAM_1359.JPG (160.77 KiB) Viewed 1652 times
010.JPG
010.JPG (138.6 KiB) Viewed 1652 times
012.JPG
012.JPG (110.58 KiB) Viewed 1652 times
2019 Runaway Range Runner Offroad Build
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72442
ArkansasDon
Teardrop Advisor

Postby crisstoll » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:50 pm

Hello. I didn’t build mine. But I know the builder put it through the aft end before installing the galley cabinets; It has a full size mattress too. So comfy and grateful it’s not just a foam mattress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crisstoll
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion