State travel rules during the Pandemic

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: State travel rules during the Pandemic

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:39 pm

MtnDon wrote:
tony.latham wrote:
Me? I'm wearing a mask because I love my wife.

Tony

:thumbsup: Me/we too. Plus we care about others in our family and their friends, as well as all the other folks we may interact with when I go to pickup groceries or whatever, even complete strangers.

Us too! Shelly is a cancer survivor, she may have to take care of her Mom (lifelong smoker), etc. We're lucky enough to have a pretty nice place to live, so we spend most of our time here without any particular boredom. We try to avoid going out, but when we do, we wear masks and try and keep a social distance.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:47 pm

Modstock wrote:Heard this through a customer who works at the hospital, said if you die of corona the hospital gets $19,000.
WTF.
Government scam ???????
You decide.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

When I was in the US Air Force, we were briefed fairly regularly on foreign threats. The Russian intelligence services love to spread rumors to try and sew discord in American society. The Russian intelligence services love facebook, and twitter, etc. because it makes that job easy. When you hear these sorts of unattributed rumors (in general, not just that one), just consider that possibility.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:45 pm

MtnDon wrote:
Modstock wrote:Heard this through a customer who works at the hospital, said if you die of corona the hospital gets $19,000.
WTF.
Government scam ???????
You decide.

I suggest you read this.... https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/hospi ... ath-count/ and then you decide. To me if someone does have covid-19 they will likely need some expensive care especially if they need to be placed on a ventilator. Just becuase it is possible that someone could scam the system does not mean they will.

Sits right inline with them getting, shall we say, re-emburst for Covid patients, which I believe was the intent. With any agency that sees free money, given by an agency of the government. Nah... I wouldn't expect any fraud, especially since no ones checking.. Let's just go on the honor system..

The article does not dispute the monies, just wishes us to believe no one would take advantage.

Back to the point of this thread. Maine has some State Parks open. Nationals within the state are for some reason not allowing camping (had a bit of a conversation with a Ranger about that). Most private campgrounds are open. I would have loved to jumped the border and stayed in this Provencial Park, but Canada (Atlantic Maritime) is closed to us. Funny thing about that campground, it sits on an island accessible by car only through the US. Hopefully this changes soon.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:17 pm

Back to the point of this thread. Maine has...

Exactly.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:44 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Back to the point of this thread. Maine has...

Exactly.

Tony

:beer:
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:40 pm

RJ Howell wrote:
troubleScottie wrote:Slow:

The US has 5% mortality rate for those that have been confirmed;

Per confirmed, yes. 99.683% survival rate of those tested (believed systems). 99.95% survival rate to population. Even CDC has now agreed to these numbers of which they wouldn't previous due to it just not sounding like the pandemic that is being pushed.

Again, the tested and confirmed numbers (deaths especially) have been so skewed to push this agenda, it's hard now to believe any of the numbers put out. Money paid to institutions for claiming Covid Positive patients.. then more if they claim they died from it..

I get how this all started with some many unknowns. We know now. Covid is here to stay just like a thousand other viruses. Just another to deal with as the season arrives.
Not sure I understand your number, do your survivors include those that test negative? If you look at Italy and Asia as examples. The mortality rate was 2%, until their hospitals became overwhelmed with patients, then it git yo 10% quickly. Mean while in Asia where people started wearing masks the rate dropped back down to low levels and everything is open, they just wear masks. It’s not communism, it’s not an attack on freedom, it’s an additional piece of clothing, like a jacket. Wear a jacket when it’s cold, wear a mask when its infection season.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Graniterich » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:58 pm

I can't believe now this forum is divided, how sad. Look at other countries, where a mask, out of courtesy, don't make it political.

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby Philip » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:42 am

We have pretty much put our travel plans on hold till next year. With NM and AZ pretty much still locked down. That was two of the states we had planed on going threw. We had also planed on being up in your area Slow. We had planed on about a month and a half trip.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:10 am

slowcowboy wrote:Well if it all makes you feel better i am not goung to walk the winds this year even as past year host.and they got a huge big crowd coming. But I don't feel its safe to share one potty with 20 to 30 people from several diffrent states...lol I am still not even going camping this year..slow.

It does make Shelly and I feel better Slow, for the sake of your health. :thumbsup: We gave up crewing for our ballooning friends this Summer (including some rallies) for the same reason.

It's rough, but every few days the medicos seem to find new ways this stupid virus hurts those it infects. Now, it looks like we may have a vaccine soon that will be at least reasonably effective, and so in a year or so we all may be back to the old normal. If that's the case, one year of relatively minor inconvenience seems like a small price to avoid the possible long term (maybe life-long) consequences of having had the virus.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:17 am

MtnDon wrote:
WTF.
Government scam ???????
You decide.

I suggest you read this.... https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/hospi ... ath-count/ and then you decide. To me if someone does have covid-19 they will likely need some expensive care especially if they need to be placed on a ventilator. Just because it is possible that someone could scam the system does not mean they will.

The other part of this to consider, this isn't limited to the US. This is happening with every government in the world. There are reports that Putin wears a complete protective suit when he leaves home, and that anyone coming in is disinfected before they can come in. How does that become a US government scam? What's real is that if an additional 1% of the US population dies it will have major implications on our economy. I work in a building with 1000 people, we lose 1 every couple of years to death. Losing 10 would be a big deal. That would slow down a lot of departments. The other thing people forget is that death isn't the only negative out come, for every 1 covid death there are 10 people that spend a lot of time in the hospital, then have months of recovery ahead of them. Some will fully recover, but many will never be the same again, lungs and hearts are damaged, so they can't work as hard as before. Some people are losing limbs due to the clots it causes, some are getting brain damage. Yes, many have no symptoms or very mild symptoms, it was the same with polio. Millions got it, some died, some were paralyzed, many have life long impacts ( my fathers right leg is smaller and weaker due to polio). However people took it seriously, and during outbreaks they stayed away from public areas, schools closed. People displayed some common sense. Too many people looking for conspiracies now. I like to believe we all want the same things; Safety, prosperity for ourselves and our friends and neighbors and happiness. I understand we can disagree on how to get there, but when did a little self sacrifice to defend our friends and neighbors from illness become less important than being slightly uncomfortable for a few hours? In WW2, the government rationed food and metals and gasoline, can you imagine what would happen if the government tried that now?
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Dahlia47 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:39 am

I don't understand why they are closing camp grounds. You're not in a heavily populated city. You're staying in your camp spot, hiking or swimming. The only place that would be shared is the restrooms, if a park has any. In that case, close the restrooms and either use your own potty or hide behind a bush and burry it. Wear your mask on the hiking trail. One camping place had patrons in every other camp spot. Makes no sense to me to close them. It is unnatural to stay in a house. I hate the masks. Supposedly, the mask doesn't keep you from getting it, it keeps the spittle from traveling and landing on surfaces. Ever since they have said to wear one, my throat is so raw. You're breathing in your own CO2. I am type 2 diabetic and may or may not have MS. If I were to get it...who knows. I have come to accept that the virus is here to stay. Just like every other virus. And just like every other virus, do your darnedest to protect yourself and your loved ones from it.
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby MtnDon » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:38 am

....only place that would be shared is the restrooms, if a park has any. In that case, close the restrooms and either use your own potty or hide behind a bush and burry it.

....behind a bush and bury it... I know of some spots here in NM and in UT that have been so popular for dispersed camping that one sometimes has to search for a spot that someone else has not used. Not uncommon to find non-buried toilet paper as well because too many people are stupid or something.

I do wonder where the "love thy neighbor..." stuff has gone. I subscribe to no religion but I do care about friends and family as well as all the other people like myself who work in industry and services that provide for the things that we need. I don't want those people to get sick any more than I want to get sick. As was mentioned there can be long lasting effects for some people. Those details are lacking in almost any news coverage.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:57 pm

Dahlia47 wrote:I don't understand why they are closing camp grounds. You're not in a heavily populated city. You're staying in your camp spot, hiking or swimming. The only place that would be shared is the restrooms, if a park has any. In that case, close the restrooms and either use your own potty or hide behind a bush and burry it. Wear your mask on the hiking trail. One camping place had patrons in every other camp spot. Makes no sense to me to close them. It is unnatural to stay in a house. I hate the masks. Supposedly, the mask doesn't keep you from getting it, it keeps the spittle from traveling and landing on surfaces. Ever since they have said to wear one, my throat is so raw. You're breathing in your own CO2. I am type 2 diabetic and may or may not have MS. If I were to get it...who knows. I have come to accept that the virus is here to stay. Just like every other virus. And just like every other virus, do your darnedest to protect yourself and your loved ones from it.

I don't understand that either, but the only reasons I can think of are 1) People being outdoors increases the chance someone will be injured and need to go to a hospital. In my county hospitals are now over 70% full, so they don't want more business. 2)For you and me camping means solo time out doors, but for a bunch of people it means somewhere to have a giant rave party.

As for mask effectiveness, surgical and cloth masks are best at preventing us exposing others to our illness, but they also offer some protection from others. A large hospital system didn't require masks at the beginning of all this, but at one point they started requiring all their staff to wear masks all the time. The rate of infections dropped by 1/2 even though there were more cases coming through the hospitals. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 111449.htm

There are a bunch of other studies that show effectiveness. If everyone wore a mask, life would be pretty near normal within a few weeks. I don't know what kind of mask you are wearing, but if its making your throat raw, then you may want to try something different. The N95 masks are pretty tight, but a decent cloth mask with 2 layers is warm on the face but should be wearable for a long time. I've tried several cloth masks. The first one was too loose and if I pulled it tight for a good seal I could barely talk. Then my wife found some others that were a better cut and gave me space around my mouth. Its much more comfortable. The most comfortable one she found are made by a t-shirt company, I think she got 40 for 48$. They have ties top and bottom like surgical masks of the old days. They fit the face well and they don't feel too restrictive.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:00 pm

There are people with bona fide health problems that may be exacerbated by wearing a medical/surgical or N95 mask. I know someone with asthma who has breathing trouble without a mask at times. He carries a doctor's exemption letter. However, most normal healthy people have no health dangers from wearing a mask.

I have a friend who is a nurse, has worked ER shifts for 20-some years. She has had a few bad reactions to flu vaccinations and for the past 15 years wears a surgical mask for her entire shift, November or so through March or whatever the bad flu season covers. She doesn't like it but it seems to help her avoid flu and allows her to keep working as a nurse which she loves. Retirement has been scheduled for next year since way before this coronavirus came along.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:54 pm

MtnDon wrote:There are people with bona fide health problems that may be exacerbated by wearing a medical/surgical or N95 mask. I know someone with asthma who has breathing trouble without a mask at times. He carries a doctor's exemption letter. However, most normal healthy people have no health dangers from wearing a mask. .

Those kind of people are at huge risk and shouldn't be around other people. If they get Covid its pretty much a death sentence. Personally If I were in that situation I'd wear the mask, or get a portable oxygen tank to take with my mask. The way it was explained to me, if you can be outside without oxygen, you can wear a mask.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion