Side Vent or Roof Vent Fan?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Side Vent or Roof Vent Fan?

Postby Netmastr32 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:42 am

Has anyone used this instead of a roof vent.

https://www.amazon.com/Durable-Replacem ... ive&sr=1-4
Netmastr32
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Side Vent or Roof Vent Fan?

Postby tony.latham » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:59 am

We've spent 21 nights in our teardrop this summer. I think we've had the fan on once or twice for a few minutes but we always have the vent open. With it --in the top of the ceiling-- and the side windows open, convection pulls the air up and out. It's a continuous breeze.

I think you'd lose that.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:59 am

• I also didn't want to put a fan on my roof, even though it already had a dozen 1/4" holes in it. I used stainless carriage bolts with acorn nuts/fender washers, for metal brackets securing the roof to the walls, in lieu of spars, sealed with PL adhesive, and painted-over with clear acrylic for further protection. But, I had no desire to cut a 14"x 14" hole for a rooftop fan/vent, inviting eventual leaks, so I decided on sidewall vents (with attached fans) for flow-thru venting, and a large under-shelf fan for maximum air circulation.
  • Having run a shipping/receiving department for many years, I was familiar with vents used on the enclosed trailers of the trucks I loaded/unloaded at work, and that never leaked, as far as I could tell. I liked the look of a particular vent, designed for trailer roofs, but usually mounted on the leading wall of most trailers I saw. I found it at E-trailer, for about $20. It was galvanized (grey-ish color), which was ideal to match my grey color scheme, and the overall rough/industrial theme. They've been extremely durable, totally leak-proof during all sorts of thunderstorms (including horizontal rain), and have been perfect for bug-free operation, during the past 8 years.
    9139 vent 1.JPG
    9139 vent 1.JPG (41.77 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
    my vent(s) were galvanized; now they come painted white
  • It was an easy install, and I put plastic screening between the butterfly closure and the wall, to keep out insects. But, I was not finished with them, yet. I added a swing-away bracket (piano hinge) to mount 120 mm hi-flow computer case fans for added circulation (if I wasn't using the 10-inch 120vac main fan). They are 12vdc, and use .18 amp-hour each, so I can use them for many hours, without much impact on the battery life, if off-grid.
  • 96741102807 interior fans;120 mm hi-static pressure versions

• side view, vent style appropriate for my design.jpg
    side view, vent style appropriate for my design.jpg (127.64 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby gudmund » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:40 am

roof vents 'vent' whether they are -turned or not- being they are mounted at the 'peak' high point of the the trailer - as long as it is open or just cracked open. The one bad thing with a roof vent is the 'forgetting' of the door being left open in the rain (common problem here on west side of Cascades here in the PNW) or when traveling down the road - wind can damage/cause wear-tear of the vent door. My favorite thing to counter all of this is the mounting of a "MaxxAir II" vent cover on the roof vent. I can leave the vent open 'any time' I want = no rain gets in - can be vented when stored, even when I have the trailer covered with it's storage tarp (the cover holds up/supports the tarp up off the roof when stored). And if and when I 'forget' to close it when moving down the road = no big deal - no vent lid damage....... also when parked/camping, it ends up being a good sun shade from the 'direct' sun when 'open or closed' ................. 156749 have always wondered why I see so few teardrops ever using them 'but' being so few do, I do find -'most of the time'- when walking back to my trailer when traveling with other teardrops, it is alot 'easier' to find mine when looking over the roof's of all of them when we are parked together .............as far as looks? Yes, it took a bit to get used to the 'look' but anymore, my thought is "function out-weights looks" when it works so well!!!! :beer:
gudmund
500 Club

Return to General Discussion