Roof Rack Help

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Roof Rack Help

Postby Pipercub17 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:55 pm

Greetings,

First off thanks for all of the excellent information on here. No way I could build my camper without this site. So I am looking for information on a roof rack system that will hold at least 200lbs. In addition, it must clear my fantastic fan lid. I already bought a rhino rack system with 72-inch bars. I think I need something wider than this. Any ideas, suggestions, photos of what you did would be greatly appreciated.

I even thought off just running two marine carpeted 4x4's on the top, attach into the studs of the roof with lag screws. Really the racks are for my two kayaks. This might work even better than bars. The reason I would need 4x4's is to clear the fan lid

Thanks In Advance,

Jim Riley
Pipercub17
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Roof Rack Help

Postby pchast » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:01 pm

All that weight is probably unnecessary for a roof rack.
Won't the kayaks fit on either side of the vent if tipped?

Don't take any fast corners! :lol:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:26 am

the hatch in the middle is an issue

IMHO screw holes in a roof invites leakage... rot

might i suggest a set of rain gutter substitutes to adapt your rack to the side of your body

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-an ... /739A.html

i've used these on FG pick up toppers w/ VG results

they come w/ good rubber seals to place between the exterior wall and the adapter

when the bars aren't needed they can be removed w/o disturbing the body adapters

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby twisted lines » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:41 am

I like the Idea of a boat on top, and I have gone through a great deal of work in preparation for a rack, haven't started it yet :thinking:
Someone here posted a wise thought, and I will shorten it up;
Rackem on your rig.
Last edited by twisted lines on Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Pipercub17 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:41 am

Thanks Swoody126,

I will look into those. The only issue I see is my walls are canwhich construction. I do have a couple studs running across if I could find some that would attach to those.

Thanks Again
Pipercub17
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PCO6 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:11 pm

Pipercub17 - I'm not sure of what type of camper trailer you're building so this might be of no use at all but when I built the roof rack for my tear "pop" I tried to stay "off" of the roof a much as possible. I built it to carry 2 kayaks that weigh 110 lbs. total and a waterproof (I thought) bag for the seats, PDF's, rope, etc. It's been great for the last 2 years - no leaks and no stress on the trailer.

I built the front like a traditional rack but I attached it to the side walls vs. the roof. The bag, which when loaded weighs about 15 lbs. sits on the roof inside the rack. I built a "T" bar system for the rear. It's made of 3 pieces; the bottom inserts into a 2" receiver on the frame, I insert the vertical piece into it and then the horizontal part of the "T" onto it. All pieces are locked together with standard receiver lock pins that use the same key. The first 2 pieces double as a vertical stand for my on demand water heater. It has a separate receiver tube on the side of the trailer and it also locks on to the trailer when we're camping.

The kayaks don't touch the trailer. The bows rest on the back of the front rack the sterns on the "T" bar. Everything gets lashed down with ratchet ropes. My lid lifts (pops) up so I didn't want anything touching or especially sitting on it.

PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby mary and bob » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:16 pm

Thule also makes artificial rain gutters. I used them on the rear section roof on a '86 Blazer.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby Pinstriper » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:26 pm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby Pipercub17 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:30 am

Pinstriper those might work. Do you know the brand and where you purchased them? Thanks In Advance
Pipercub17
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pinstriper » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:51 pm

Pipercub17 wrote:Pinstriper those might work. Do you know the brand and where you purchased them? Thanks In Advance
Yakima sweet rolls plus this

Highland 2006200 Black Heavy Duty Bar Carrier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002MABL4/re ... AFbGKY4HVW

Its made for a van roof, but I mounted the brackets backwards.

We also welded a piece of angle iron to the tube so the kayak rollers and pads wouldnt spin on the bar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion