Mattress question

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Mattress question

Postby kimknits65 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:56 pm

We are putting a six inch memory foam in our teardrop. We already know we need to cut it to fit. How does everyone handle the curved front wall? Do you cut it square and have a gap? We thought about angling the cut so it would be flush at the bottom and top but I'm not sure what that will do to the support under our heads.
Thanks for any help
kimknits65
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Mattress question

Postby saltydawg » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:27 pm

kimknits65 wrote:We are putting a six inch memory foam in our teardrop. We already know we need to cut it to fit. How does everyone handle the curved front wall? Do you cut it square and have a gap? We thought about angling the cut so it would be flush at the bottom and top but I'm not sure what that will do to the support under our heads.
Thanks for any help

smoosh it in place. no need to cut, I doubt your head will be within 2 inches of the top of the mattress with out a pillow under it.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby noseoil » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:26 am

If it needs to be trimmed, make a cardboard template of the shape first, to make sure you have a good line to work to for the cut. Use an electric carving knife to make the cuts, it acts like a foam saw & leaves a clean edge.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby gudmund » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:14 am

electric knife with a bit of 'silicone lub spray' for the blade = worked GREAT!! Layed the mattress on my back wood deck - drew the cut line with the felt pen/straight edge than lined up the cut line with one of deck board slits underneath = drawn top line to follow on top and slit underneath for the blade to square-up to = ending up with a nice straight square cut !!!! ......................
gudmund
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:29 am

We already know we need to cut it to fit. How does everyone handle the curved front wall? Do you cut it square and have a gap?

Obviously, you don't want a gap. In the 2013 teardrop I built, the floor space was 80 long to fit an 80" queen. For the build last summer, I shrunk that space down to 78" for a compression fit. No slop.

I don't know how tight of curve you are dealing with but it can't be much. I say leave it (maybe an inch or two long) and let the foam adapt to the radius.

It'll memorize the curve. :lol:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to General Discussion